GreaseSpot Cafe

Computer Virus

Bluzeman

Just thought I'd stop by and post this information. This is legit, not some hoax or anything.

I sent this out as an email to some of my clients. I thought I'd share it here as well.

There is a new and potentially VERY dangerous virus being spread via email. It’s called the Crypto Locker Virus. This virus has been designated as ransomware. The virus will encrypt files on your computer making them inaccessible until you pay the ransom. If the ransom is not paid within 3-4 days,(there are differing accounts of the time frame from 3 days to 100 hours) the key file to unencrypt the files will be deleted, making the files permanently inaccessible. Payment is only accepted through bitcoin and Monypack Vouchers. The whole idea of holding your files hostage till a ransom is paid may sound like a bad joke but it’s very real.

The virus is being spread through email attachments that appear to be from place like Fed Ex or UPS. The attachment will look like a PDF document but it is actually an executable that installs the virus. I will not go into more technical detail here. If you’re interested (and I urge all of you who use computers at home to educate yourself a bit on this issue) there is a lot of information here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information.

All technical information aside, the important thing to take from this message is DO NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS IF YOU AREN”T EXPECTING ONE FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE. If you are expecting something to be delivered by UPS or FED EX I don’t think it’s ever sent as an attachment. If you are expecting something a tracking number will be sent to you. Go to the site manually and enter your tracking number. NEVER open an attachment for something like this. It’s almost always not going to be legit.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this as I was performing some serious maintenance yesterday....and my evil twin (:D) thought - Good for you, then! You don't wanna learn the simple basic keep away from attachments that are questionable! OK. I'm gonna get you every time - - only this time I'm gonna take some cash to bail your a$$e$ out!