GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Characters in this movie include Leo Durocher, Eddie Stanky, Joe Garagiola, Branch Rickey, Pee Wee Reese, and Red Barber.

Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson were considered for the Rickey role.

The film does not explore the main character's career with the Montreal Royals, but he was hugely popular. After leading the team to the league championship, it was noted: ..."probably the only day in history that a black man ran from a white mob that had love, not lynching, on its mind."

George

No.

Characters in this movie include Leo Durocher, Eddie Stanky, Joe Garagiola, Branch Rickey, Pee Wee Reese, and Red Barber.

The film does not explore the main character's career with the Montreal Royals, but he was hugely popular. After leading the team to the league championship, it was noted: ..."probably the only day in history that a black man ran from a white mob that had love, not lynching, on its mind."

The star is perhaps better known for a role in the MCU.

The star did many of his own stunts, because he believed that his stunt double's performance was not true to the main character's actions (the actual person portrayed in the movie).

George

• 2 weeks later...

The star did many of his own stunts, because he believed that his stunt double's performance was not true to the main character's actions (the actual person portrayed in the movie).

It's about Jackie Robinson.

George

It's about Jackie Robinson.

IT'S A NUMBER BETWEEN 41 AND 43.

George

This is just gonna be quotes from a movie.  Guess the movie it's from.

"You wanna cut my throat, go ahead. You wanna cut my fu*#in' head off and use it for a fu*#in' basketball? You can *bowl* with the mother#*&ker for all I care! Just don't let HIM do it! I don't wanna get killed by this limey, immigrant JERKOFF! I wanna get killed by an AMERICAN jerkoff!"

"You don't know anything about electricity, do you?

No.

As long as you're only touching one wire and you're not touching the ground, you don't get electrocuted.

Um, right?

I don't know.

I don't either".

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Wild swing- "Kingsman"???

Strike one.  Here's a few more.   "Rambo? Rambo's a puttie cat" (pussie cat). Auto corrected word.  

"We're gonna get F.U.B.A.R now.

What the hell is F.U.B.A.R?

You'll see".

Edited by Human without the bean

27 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Tango and Cash?  I remember the uncorrected quote.

George

Yep, that's it.  I wonder what the auto correct would have done with F.U.B.A.R in the next line I would have posted? ...   What's F.U.B.A.R.?      ....-Up Beyond All Recognition.

Edited by Human without the bean

THOSE quotes I remembered well. The first set sounded vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place them.  The second was trying to zip line over an electric fence or something.   The first was Roy Tango yelling, but I don't remember the context.     Quote three was Tango in his first scene, with the truck, and the extra yelling "He thinks he's Rambo!" and managing to get the line out without choking.  The fourth came up a number of times in the movie. 

I was surprised to find out FUBAR and SNAFU were both from World War II.  We'd all heard of SNAFU but not FUBAR.  (Nor BOHICA, for that matter.)

George's turn.

The first time I saw the acronym SNAFU was in a Wonder Woman comic; it was expanded as "Situation Normal, All FOULED Up."  A few years later, some fraternity brothers were helping me with a computer program and suggested SNAFU as a label.  When I told them what I thought it meant, they sort of grinned and said, I guess it COULD mean that!  Sharp cookie that I was, I immediately knew the R-rated version.  :biglaugh:  The "Beyond All Recognition" version was introduced to me later.

New one soon.

George

The two principal stars of this film appeared in 10 movies together.  This was the sixth.

At the end of the theatrical trailer, there is an outtake of one of the stars in the bath tub saying directly into the camera "If I'd known there was going to be a nude scene, I would've asked for an extra million." The crew found this so hilarious, they ended up using it as a post credits scene.

My favorite line: "Then one day you wake up and you realize that you're not 81 any more."

George

No.

The two principal stars of this film appeared in 10 movies together.  This was the sixth.  The sequel was another.

At the end of the theatrical trailer, there is an outtake of one of the stars in the bath tub saying directly into the camera "If I'd known there was going to be a nude scene, I would've asked for an extra million." The crew found this so hilarious, they ended up using it as a post credits scene.

My favorite line: "Then one day you wake up and you realize that you're not 81 any more."

During a scene where two of the characters are walking through the ice fishing shacks, you can see a signpost like the one in M*A*S*H (1972) had in the center of camp pointing out distances to member's home towns. The one in this movie (1993) shows "Kenosha, WI 250 miles," "Fair Banks, AK 3130 miles," and "Rosies, Seoul 6750 miles." This is an homage to the TV show M*A*S*H (1972), which lists this in its trivia:  "Rosie's Bar" was inspired by a real bar in Seoul called "Rose's Bar." Located just outside Camp Mosier in Seoul, Rose's Bar was located in an area which had a thriving night life catering primarily to U.S. military personnel. After the war, this section of Seoul turned into a residential area, but Rose's bar continued to exist till 1971 when it was brought down to build small apartments.

George

Still not getting the right acting duo.

The two principal stars of this film appeared in 10 movies together.  This was the sixth, the first after 10 years.  The sequel was another.

During a scene where two of the characters are walking through the ice fishing shacks, you can see a signpost like the one in M*A*S*H (1972) had in the center of camp pointing out distances to member's home towns. The one in this movie (1993) shows "Kenosha, WI 250 miles," "Fair Banks, AK 3130 miles," and "Rosies, Seoul 6750 miles." This is an homage to the TV show M*A*S*H (1972), which lists this in its trivia:  "Rosie's Bar" was inspired by a real bar in Seoul called "Rose's Bar." Located just outside Camp Mosier in Seoul, Rose's Bar was located in an area which had a thriving night life catering primarily to U.S. military personnel. After the war, this section of Seoul turned into a residential area, but Rose's bar continued to exist till 1971 when it was brought down to build small apartments.

According to the AFI website, the movie was originally supposed to be released in February 1994. However Warner Bros. had such a successful year at the box office in 1993 that they wanted to have their profits maximized before the year came to a close so they bumped up the release to Christmas Day, 1993, and by February 4, 1994 the original planned release date the film had grossed $54 million domestically before closing with a final domestic gross of $70 million. Although Christmas 1993 was a busy movie season this movie managed to out-gross three sequels to popular movies all released in December 1993 including Wayne's World 2 (1993), Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1993) and Beethoven's 2nd (1993) which surprised all in the movie industry because it was predicted at the time to those films would all perform better.

George