GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Hm.  Used to watch "Yellow Submarine" on Thanksgiving when I was younger.  I've since shifted that to a different day.   Maybe we should consider adding this one to the mix, although I have enough trouble squeezing in "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" every year as it is.

A Korean-American actor was concerned about playing a Japanese-American character until a Japanese-American actor said that the role would represent all Asians.

One actor never auditioned.  He was e-mailed an offer to play his role by the director.  The actor said he would have played the role for free, or even paid the director, in order to get the part.

A sound effect of automatic doors opening in the film is actually the sound of a Russian train's toilet flushing.

George

This movie was restored (with all scenes)  in 1999.  Plans to remake it completely in 2009 fell through, and the chosen director said in 2012 that it was probably better it not be remade.   In 2012 and 2018, there were limited theatrical re-releases of this movie.  (The 2018 one was chosen for its timing.)  

In 2016, Lego released a set of the movie.

This was another movie whose soundtrack was very successful in addition to the movie's success.

English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Hebrew, Greek, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, English, Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Spanish, Farsi, Swahili, Sanskrit, French, Hebrew, Swedish, Chinese, German, Japanese, English- that's the order at the end of the movie.

Fred Astaire and Joan Crawford were the originals for the couple that ballroom-danced. They did that in "Dancing Lady"(1933).

• 2 weeks later...

This movie was restored (with all scenes)  in 1999.  Plans to remake it completely in 2009 fell through, and the chosen director said in 2012 that it was probably better it not be remade.   In 2012 and 2018, there were limited theatrical re-releases of this movie.  (The 2018 one was chosen for its timing.)  

In 2016, Lego released a set of the movie.

This was another movie whose soundtrack was very successful in addition to the movie's success.

English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Hebrew, Greek, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, English, Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Spanish, Farsi, Swahili, Sanskrit, French, Hebrew, Swedish, Chinese, German, Japanese, English- that's the order at the end of the movie.

Fred Astaire and Joan Crawford were the originals for the couple that ballroom-danced. They did that in "Dancing Lady"(1933).

The guy who said he knew a thing or two about motors was correct. He'd worked as an apprentice electrician, and had plans to work with a mechanic- but his successful career took off and that was that.

The Mrs and I re-watched this. We began speculating that the PhD was actually related to some of the others.  She speculated he stayed where they had lived and the others moved on, and I speculated that he may have fled the others and gotten lost and ended up where he did.

We also think this movie features one of the finest middle-management examples in cinematic history.

There was a countrywide search for the actors who would play the major roles.  One was found after extensive searching, while another was found seemingly by accident.

Early in the movie, one character utters the now-ominous phrase "Nothing ever happens to me." Naturally, something happened a few seconds later.

Don't blink, or you'll miss the references to Buffalo Bill, The Phantom,  and "the Avengers" (Steed and King, post Emma Peel.)

When the first of the protagonists is introduced, a close look will show references to at least 2 other movies- one where he stands, one when his hands are shown.

When another protagonist is introduced, the familiar sound of an instrument he's known for is heard playing. 

When another protagonist is introduced, a reference to the town where he's from is made. That's not the line "I told you not to eat on an empty stomach", although both lines appear in the same scene.

I don't know about anyone else, but I lost track of which of them owned the car early in the movie.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:07 PM, WordWolf said:

There was a countrywide search for the actors who would play the major roles.  One was found after extensive searching, while another was found seemingly by accident.

Early in the movie, one character utters the now-ominous phrase "Nothing ever happens to me." Naturally, something happened a few seconds later.

Don't blink, or you'll miss the references to Buffalo Bill, The Phantom,  and "the Avengers" (Steed and King, post Emma Peel.)

Old Fred and Ringo passed a room with statues or something of all of them, including Mandrake the Magician.   The exchange is something like "Can't we take one of these guys along?" "No, I only work with my mates."

On 12/20/2023 at 7:17 AM, WordWolf said:

When the first of the protagonists is introduced, a close look will show references to at least 2 other movies- one where he stands, one when his hands are shown.

When another protagonist is introduced, the familiar sound of an instrument he's known for is heard playing. 

When another protagonist is introduced, a reference to the town where he's from is made. That's not the line "I told you not to eat on an empty stomach", although both lines appear in the same scene.

I don't know about anyone else, but I lost track of which of them owned the car early in the movie.

When Ringo first appears, he's standing in a spot recognizable from "Hard Day's Night", and he's wearing the ring from "HELP!"

George is introduced with the sounds of sitars playing.

John is introduced with the line that he has to pull the lever. "I'm a born Lever-puller."

Despite winning an Oscar at a young age, one of the stars admitted on Late Show with David Letterman in 2009 that she had only recently watched the film for the first time at the time of the interview. She was not allowed to watch the film at the time of its release because of its sexual content, being eleven years old at the time.

The other star won fourteen awards of the fifteen nominations she received for her role in this movie, including her musical performances.

George

• 2 weeks later...