GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

The author of the source story for this movie was paid $5,000 for the rights. He never cashed it. He had it framed and sent it to the director with the note: "In case you ever need bail money."

Both author and director are doing fine.

Nominated for seven Oscars. Won none.

Flopped at the Box Office but now considered a classic.

The co-star took care of the narration. Of course he did. [Notably, this was his first time].

The title of the movie is only half the title of the source material. The makers of the movie didn't want actresses auditioning for a biopic, especially considering none of the leading roles are women [not to mention it's a work of fiction. Not science fiction. Not horror. Just dramatic fiction]. 

One of the characters is known by a nickname because he is Irish. In the movie, he's played by a Black man. The explanation for the nickname was not changed, but was played for laughs.

I am going to play the "come on guys, this is not that difficult" card.

The author of the original story is known for an entirely different genre of story. But fear not! This showed you can't keep him trapped in just one kind of story.

The costar was the narrator.

The costar was THE narrator.

Good God, if that wasn't enough of a clue by itself.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, modcat5 said:

The author of the original story is known for an entirely different genre of story. But fear not! This showed you can't keep him trapped in just one kind of story.

Ok, I think I've got it this time.

My subconscious finally spoke up (or woke up.)

The source book was "THE BODY."

The author is that guy up in Bangor who writes about monsters.

The movie is "STAND BY ME."

The writer is- Richard Bachman!

11 hours ago, Raf said:

It is not Stranger than Fiction. I don't even know who wrote that.

I guarantee you know who wrote this. I mean, he's practically royalty.

A well-known writer who's practically royalty.  That must mean something....Earl or Duke or something....  Oh- STEPHEN KING!    

(Possibly released under his pseudonym, "Richard Bachman",  possibly not.)

7 hours ago, modcat5 said:

No. That's a horror movie. Stephen King is known for horror. 

This movie has, best of my memory, no supernatural elements

That eliminates NEARLY all of his movies that I remember.   It doesn't eliminate "Misery"- but your other clues do.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, modcat5 said:

If the costar who is THE narrator is also the Black guy, that shortens the possible list.  James Earl Jones is possible-  but AFAIK, he never played God.   That was MORGAN FREEMAN.  What movie of Stephen King's trapped Morgan Freeman?  I think that only leaves "THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION."

Or I could be completely off again.

When this movie came out, it was long-awaited, and some fans had high expectations for it.  A few might have complained that the plot for the movie seemed a bit familiar and resembled at least 1 episode with lots of changes and a much, much bigger budget.   In fact, with this movie unable to achieve blockbuster status despite the timing and the budget, it would have killed the franchise if someone didn't promise he could bring in the NEXT movie for a LOT less.  Not only did he succeed, that movie was popular and became a hit, saving the franchise.

Name both movies.

Until X

Nemesis was worse than III, by far.

But II, IV and VI were the best of the original cast. III was the best of the odd numbered entries, including the next gen cast.

Nemesis [X] was better than I and V, but not as good as III