GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

This movie could TECHNICALLY be described as an exploration of the path to stardom, with glimpses of the drawbacks on the way there.

One character abruptly abandons the lead at a phone-call from their agent,  another expresses the loneliness of the road and having to leave home behind,  and the lead must continually face the prospect of selling out rather than following his dream of making millions of people happy.

Oddly enough, a different character's dream was totally possible- to go to Bombay India (as it was called) to become a movie star.   The other method ( Hollywood) isn't necessarily "the easy way."

Despite it being technically possible to sign a contract and then become rich and famous, I highly doubt anyone actually has a boilerplate for a "STANDARD rich and famous" contract.

This movie had cameos by a remarkable number of stars including Telly Sevalas, Milton Berle, and Richard Pryor.

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

That's up the the viewer, I think.  Personally, I thought it was special and memorable.  Then again, at the time, I was in their target audience.

Is it the most sensational inspirational celebrational motivational?

[you can count that as a guess.] 

8 hours ago, Raf said:

Is it the most sensational inspirational celebrational motivational?

[you can count that as a guess.] 

That rang a bell faintly, but I got the reference eventually.  Yes, this is what we'd call that.

BTW,

I found it frustrating that this movie included a character who was misnamed but never included his correct name.  "Hi, Jack."   "Jack not name- Jack JOB!"  However, when not trying to guess this round, it's easy to look up his name.

On 9/16/2023 at 11:56 PM, WordWolf said:

This movie could TECHNICALLY be described as an exploration of the path to stardom, with glimpses of the drawbacks on the way there.

One character abruptly abandons the lead at a phone-call from their agent,  another expresses the loneliness of the road and having to leave home behind,  and the lead must continually face the prospect of selling out rather than following his dream of making millions of people happy.

Oddly enough, a different character's dream was totally possible- to go to Bombay India (as it was called) to become a movie star.   The other method ( Hollywood) isn't necessarily "the easy way."

Despite it being technically possible to sign a contract and then become rich and famous, I highly doubt anyone actually has a boilerplate for a "STANDARD rich and famous" contract.

This movie had cameos by a remarkable number of stars including Telly Sevalas, Milton Berle, and Richard Pryor.

In the movie, they screened a movie that was based on the real story. ("It's sort-of approximately how it happened.")   We follow Kermit from the swamp to Hollywood, and all the others who join him, in pursuit of his dream of making millions of people happy.  There were many obstacles they overcame.

Miss Piggy got a call from her agent, and abruptly left the party at one point.  In the desert, Gonzo sang a song about the road.  Kermit was repeatedly offered a role as mascot for Doc Hopper's fast food chain of french fried frogs legs.  Gonzo's original goal was to become a movie star by moving to Bombay, which is actually possible if you want to star in Bollywood content.

"Send in the standard rich-and-famous contract."   This line is referred to in the movie "The Muppets" decades later!

Among the cameos were Telly Sevalas as a heavy in the El Sleazo Cafe, Milton Berle as the used car salesman (they traded to get a vehicle they could all fit in), and Richard Pryor was the balloon salesman.

So Wings was the first Best Picture winner.

It has something unusual in common with ONE other Best Picture winner.

What was the movie, and what feature does it share with Wings and no other Best Picture winner?

It was a 21st century movie.

It was decidedly NOT a favorite to win.

Its screenwriter holds the distinction of writing two consecutive Best Picture winners. This was the first. He directed it. Clint Eastwood directed the second.

The screenwriter/director later said this movie didn't deserve to win. A lot of people agreed with him. One notable exception: Roger Ebert. 

Minor correction:

The Eastwood movie won Best Picture first. Then this movie, which was made first and released first, but due to Oscar rules was not eligible until the following year.

I still haven't sorted that out.

It's not black and white.

Even after you ID the film, you may not figure out what the "thing in common" is.

Every other hint is more revealing than the Wings clue. Especially the one I hid in response to WordWolf's first guess.

So let me clarify something else: Eastwood did not direct the movie I'm thinking of. He directed the Best Picture winner from the year before. The one Eastwood directed was written by the same person. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.  Go see it.

Ezra Miller may have some personal problems, but he did a great job in this film.  And the effects were excellent, in that you really feel that there are two Barrys working together.  Michael Keaton as an older Bruce Wayne/Batman was great, too.  As the Barrys keep going back in the past to try to fix things, the multiverse starts to collide with itself.  We get glimpses of Earth-Reeves and Earth-Reeve, and Earth-Cage, along with Earth-West. etc.  (There are no interactions between any of the Earths, but it was a nice nostalgic touch.)

George