GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Vincent Price and Christopher Lee both turned down the same role for this film. That role changed the career trajectory of the actor who eventually took it.

For what it's worth: Pedro Borbon and Manny Mota never played on the same baseball team. The latter could never have pinch hit for the former.

As a long time Reds fan, I remember Pedro Borbon as the closer for the team in the 70s.   Manny Mota played for the Pirates and the Dodgers.  All this tells me is that the movie was probably from the 70s (which also would coincide with Lee and Price).  Was there some sort of horror baseball film?

George

Not a horror film.

Not a baseball film.

Not a film you would associate with any of the stars I mentioned... except the one who eventually got the role, and then only AFTER he got the role. At which point it is the ONLY kind of film you would associate with him.

I'm tempted to say "Star Wars" with Harrison Ford being the actor.  Although he's done other kinds of movies, he's mostly an action/adventure hero.  It would be hard to see Lee or Price as Han Solo, though; and there wasn't any reference to baseball in the movie.

Am I at least on the right track?

George

This movie was originally conceived as an "episode" in a separate movie with the same writers. They decided to make it separately instead. Same overall tone, though. 

Most certainly NOT Star Wars. But not many years off.

One actor ad-libbed literally all of his lines. His character was notable for being conspicuously effeminate (read: gay) yet not being the target of the film's jokes. Instead, he made the audience laugh at other people/situations.

Not as prominent a role for the gay guy. More "on screen, deliver a one liner at someone else's expense, off screen."

Huge hint in one of my previous replies.

Previously discussed: was conceived as an episode in a separate movie by the sane writers.

Not previously discussed: that movie was a recent answer to a question on this forum. Not saying it was THIS thread. Not saying it wasn't.

The only movies we've discussed which have "episodes" would be "Amazon Women on the Moon" and "Kentucky Fried Movie."  (I suppose "History of the World, Part 1" might count.)  AWOTM was in the late 80s, so the time frame is off.  HOTWP1 was 1981, so it might fit.  KFM was 1977, so it fits the time and has been an answer recently.  The problem is, if the ANSWER movie was SUPPOSED to be one of the segments of KFM, then it WASN'T one of them, so I have no idea what it would be.

George

The writers were David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams.  John Landis was the director.

If this was with the same director, I'd guess "Animal House," but it had different writers.  John Belushi trademarked the obnoxious slob, which he used in "1941" and "The Blues Brothers," but I can't see Lee or Price as Bluto.  Dean Wormer, perhaps, but then John Vernon never achieved much notoriety.  His role in "Chained Heat" was similar.

I think I'm in the right forest but barking up the wrong tree.

George

Let's see.  Zucker and Zucker and Abrahms.   If it was just Zucker and Zucker we'd have "Top Secret!", IIRC.

Let's start over from the beginning.  Let's see...

First the Earth cooled. The the dinosaurs came.

But they got too big and fat.   So they died and turned into oil.

And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes.....

Zucker plus Zucker plus Abrahms (spelling?)  means AIRPLANE!  to me.

Johnny's lines were hysterical and could all have been ad-libbed.

"What can you make of this [report]?" "Oh, that?  I could make a hat, a brooch, a pterodacty" "*snatches report back*"

Lloyd Bridges and Leslie Neilson were known for serious roles before this- but not after. Leslie Neilson in particular's thought of as a comedic actor only now-  "Spy Hard" "A Space Travesty" "Dracula- Dead and Loving It", etc.

When one of these comes around, something just clicks when the answer is revealed (even if by someone else).  It's like when I'm trying to remember someone's name, and a lot of options seem possible but just not quite right.  And then you remember -- oh, yeah!  :dance:

George

On 4/16/2023 at 8:39 AM, Raf said:

Imagining "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley" in the voices of Vincent Price or Christopher Lee.

Johnny ad libbed all his lines in the original. 

WW is up

Vincent Price had a heck of a sense of humor.  I bet he could have made that work.  I think having Christopher Lee do it would be a lot like having Danny Trejo do it. 

Next movie.

Gilbert Gottfried and Dustin Hoffman were both considered for the same role in this movie. GG was amazed when he heard about it.  "The only way our names would appear together in the same Hollywood conversation would be in the sentence, 'I've seen Gilbert Gottfried's acting, and he's no Dustin Hoffman'." Surprising no one, DH got the role and GG did not.

Macaulay Culkin was considered for a role, but didn't take it.

It should surprise no one that Disney chose not to produce this film.

This one will be easy, since it's hard to find clues which don't give it away.

The movie takes place in Greece, is based on Swedish music, has a title in Italian, and is played in English by American leading actors.

One of the main actors once stated that if Heaven exists, when he arrives he wants to hear God say "I personally thought you were very good in [this movie]"

The song played as an instrumental at the beginning of the wedding is "Knowing Me, Knowing You". This song is about divorce, so it is completely inappropriate for a wedding ("Knowing me, knowing you, there is nothing we can do. Knowing me, knowing you, we just have to face it this time we're through. Breaking up is never easy, I know but I have to go").

George