GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Plan 9 from Outer Space"?

George

That's it. Bela Lugosi was in the beginning for about a minute. (He died right after some test shots- so the script was altered to use the test footage.)  He was replaced by Ed Wood's dentist or something, who didn't resemble Lugosi and walked around with this cloaked arm up and looked over the cloaked arm at everything like the worst Dracula impression ever.

The rest of the film does not improve.

• 2 weeks later...

This musical won three Academy Awards.  David Hemming didn't sing at all, although he was the only trained singer in the cast.

In later years, the star bought the rights to the stage version of the movie for $1 million, revamped the musical, and took it on tour. It made him a very rich man.

During one rocky period in the film's production, David Hemmings came to collect the star from his house in the Hollywood Hills. When he arrived, he found him on a balcony above the swimming pool. "I'm going to jump", he announced. "You can't do that", Hemmings protested. "There's no water in the pool". The star replied, "I don't give a f--k. I f--king hate Warner Brothers and f--king Hollywood, the people here are all f--king arseholes". Hemmings climbed out on to the balcony. "Are you sure you really want to do this?" The star's face fell, and he said "No, I don't. Let's have a drink." He and Hemmings became life-long friends.

George

This musical won three Academy Awards.  David Hemming didn't sing at all, although he was the only trained singer in the cast.

In later years, the star bought the rights to the stage version of the movie for $1 million, revamped the musical, and took it on tour. It made him a very rich man.

During one rocky period in the film's production, David Hemmings came to collect the star from his house in the Hollywood Hills. When he arrived, he found him on a balcony above the swimming pool. "I'm going to jump", he announced. "You can't do that", Hemmings protested. "There's no water in the pool". The star replied, "I don't give a f--k. I f--king hate Warner Brothers and f--king Hollywood, the people here are all f--king arseholes". Hemmings climbed out on to the balcony. "Are you sure you really want to do this?" The star's face fell, and he said "No, I don't. Let's have a drink." He and Hemmings became life-long friends.

The star wanted very badly to play the lead role but was repeatedly turned down due to his limited singing ability.  He eventually won over the producers by pointing out that he was taller than the leading lady, whereas Richard Burton, also up for the role, was shorter than she.

For a post-marriage bath scene with the leading lady, the star startled everyone by strutting onto the set completely nude with a large erection.  (There is no nudity in the film.)

George

• 2 weeks later...

The star wanted very badly to play the lead role but was repeatedly turned down due to his limited singing ability.  He eventually won over the producers by pointing out that he was taller than the leading lady, whereas Richard Burton, also up for the role, was shorter than she.

For a post-marriage bath scene with the leading lady, the star startled everyone by strutting onto the set completely nude with a large erection.  (There is no nudity in the film.)

The movie has nothing to do with the Kennedy Administration.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-The production company for this US film was a HONG KONG company- Golden Harvest.  That explains some of the cast but causes another wrinkle in the casting at the same time.

-One role was written specifically with DON RICKLES in mind, but he refused the role, and we got a better movie for it once it was recast (with the same name.)

-George Furth and John Fiedler both appear in this movie. (I used to confuse the 2 actors because of this.)

-Peter Fonda appears in it as well.  And Valerie Perrine. And Bianca Jagger.

-Steve McQueen was cast, but died before they prepared to begin filming, so that part was re-cast and the mood of the movie was changed radically.

-In one scene, a Cantonese-speaking character is interviewed by a Japanese television presenter.  Neither the presenter nor the audience understand what he's saying, but the other Cantonese-speaker in the movie and he chat several times, in Cantonese.

-One actor spoke about having done the movie, later. "I did that film for all the wrong reasons. I never liked it. I did it to help out a friend of mine, Hal Needham. And I also felt it was immoral to turn down that kind of money. I suppose I sold out so I couldn't really object to what people wrote about me."

-This was the first movie the late Rick Aviles appeared in (you may remember him as Willie Lopez in "Ghost.")

-Nobody remembers the name of the character Pamela Glover-she ends up with a nickname early on, and that "becomes" her name for the rest of the movie.

-Continuity error: the "Hawaiian Tropic" car changes from a Laguna to a Monte Carlo after a quick paint job.

-Continuity error: Jamie Black and Fenderbaum know Mc Clure and Prinzim early on.  However, in the middle of the movie, Mc Clure and Prinzim completely fail to recognize them.

-One of the characters' qualifications include a degree from the University of Rangoon, and assorted night classes at the Knoxville Tennessee School of Faith Healing.

-Does Ohio really have the death penalty for speeding?

-The most obvious complaint seems to have an answer.  If the roadblocks ate up more time than the combined time differences, then the ending makes perfect sense. Otherwise, the ending doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

The main character uses a Nokia 9000 Communicator cell phone. This phone was very cutting-edge when it was introduced in 1996, as it functioned as both a handheld phone and a clamshell pocket computer, complete with a mini-QWERTY keyboard, and several built-in apps.

While filming in Oxford, England, the producers had the Bodleian Library (the main library of The University of Oxford) closed to the public for several days. This caused much complaint in the University, as a large proportion of the students were studying for exams.

When the main character is disguised as a long-haired artist, his accent is a passable imitation South African, specifically Capetonian. He refers to his "home in Africa" and uses the vernacular Afrikaans pronunciation of Jesus ("Yissus!") as an expletive. The star learned the accent from a South African assistant with whom he worked on his previous movie.

George

-This movie features a song with connotations of national pride. It was made up for the movie, and the country it was made up for doesn't really know the song. That's possibly because it uses a symbol a DIFFERENT country connects with connotations of national pride.

-One actor was trying to get a sense of his character. So, he went to the Salzburg mountains to ask his nephew what he was like. According to the nephew, he was the most boring man he'd ever met.

-The principal actress almost turned the role down. At first glance, she thought the role was too similar to her (eponymous) character in the film she had just finished.

-When this film was first released on home video, it stayed on the charts for over 250 weeks, almost five years.

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Easy enough.  I'm sure the song you refer to is Edelweiss.

I'm not sure that Maria is that similar to Mary Poppins, but whatever.

New one soon.

George

Yes.  The edelweiss is a symbol of Switzerland.   Making a song about national pride for AUSTRIA using the edelweiss means the movie team skimped on their research.

• 2 weeks later...

For one week in 1994, the star of this movie had the #1 movie (this one), the #1 TV show, and the #1 New York Times best seller.

The star has a criminal record, and Disney has a strict no hiring of ex-cons policy. An exception was made in this case.  (Apparently, not so strict.)

On older releases of the film, the star made a sarcastic remark in the movie, which included the line "1-800-SPANK-ME." During the film's release, a woman from near Cleveland, Ohio called the supposedly-fictional number for her curious grandchildren. It turned out to be a phone sex line. However, it wasn't until 1997, when Disney received complaints from parents whose children called the number and racked up huge phone bills, did the studio take action and cut the line for future releases. Disney also said that they would purchase the phone number to disconnect the service. This part of the film is also cut in the DVD's release and on Disney+. On television broadcasts, the number is changed to 1-800-POUND.

George