GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Repeat after me- the next 2 movies never happened. The TV show was the sequel, and any movies after that.

" I am Juan Sánchez Villalobos Ramírez, Chief metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain. And I'm at your service. "

"Her father, Masamune, a genius, made this for me. "

Repeat after me- the next 2 movies never happened. The TV show was the sequel, and any movies after that.

" I am Juan Sánchez Villalobos Ramírez, Chief metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain. And I'm at your service. "

This movie technically had a number of sequels- a number of which kept contradicting each other.  The last movie sequel was a TV movie, and it was later claimed that was out-of-continuity, and was not the official conclusion of the story.   There was a very successful TV show, and an unsuccessful spinoff. No matter what, nobody should blame the score of the original movie- that was all done by Queen and was considered really good. 

The main actor learned to speak English for this role. His accent was a mishmash and sounded like he'd learned English after a number of other languages- which was true and particularly apt for the title role.

The television show that followed this movie was successful enough that it had a sales catalog while the show was airing.  Besides tapes of the episodes, you could buy themed t-shirts, belt buckles, and hair ties as well as the long jacket of the tv show's main character.  (I didn't buy it because it was a lot of money to spend on a jacket that wasn't an authentic recreation- it was an incomplete copy.) 

This movie had a title character. Strictly speaking the first episode was unclear which of 2 characters was the title character- this one or the other.  From the second episode onward, it was made clear it was the character introduced with the show.

23 hours ago, WordWolf said:

You can skip the 2nd and 3rd movies and go from movie 1 to the TV show and then "Endgame".

Sean Connery as a Spaniard.

Masamune is acknowledged as the most skilled swordmaker in Japanese history. 

This movie technically had a number of sequels- a number of which kept contradicting each other.  The last movie sequel was a TV movie, and it was later claimed that was out-of-continuity, and was not the official conclusion of the story.   There was a very successful TV show, and an unsuccessful spinoff. No matter what, nobody should blame the score of the original movie- that was all done by Queen and was considered really good. 

The second and third movies contradicted the first- and each other. Strictly speaking, so did the movie "Endgame" which followed the TV show.  "Highlander-the Series" was very successful, but there were attempts to introduce a number of women- so audiences could pick the one they liked and she'd get a Highlander show as well.  That fell through- so Amanda got her own show- which tanked but got a second season.  

If you ever forget who did the soundtrack of the movie, look up the official video for "PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE." It's the theme song for the movie and series. The video features locations from the movie, and Freddy Mercury crosses swords with Connor Macleod.

The main actor learned to speak English for this role. His accent was a mishmash and sounded like he'd learned English after a number of other languages- which was true and particularly apt for the title role.

Christopher Lambert's English is idiosyncratic.  It suits a world traveler who learns languages down the centuries. 

The television show that followed this movie was successful enough that it had a sales catalog while the show was airing.  Besides tapes of the episodes, you could buy themed t-shirts, belt buckles, and hair ties as well as the long jacket of the tv show's main character.  (I didn't buy it because it was a lot of money to spend on a jacket that wasn't an authentic recreation- it was an incomplete copy.) 

The t-shirts were neat. One had "There can be only one" on it, another had "Don't lose your head" on it, another showed a lot of historical swords.  I got some of the hair-ties, but I didn't buy a copy of Duncan's long jacket.  The idea was that (Highlander) Immortals can be challenged to a duel at any moment, so they must be prepared, and armed with a bladed weapon (beheading is considered the most efficient way for one Immortal to destroy another.)  So, they wear a jacket that fits their weapon.  One guy wore a shorter jacket- but he wore a sword that was short and wide under it.  Most wore a long coat much of the time in modern times (to hide a blade). They sold a copy of Duncan's coat, but their version did NOT contain a sword-sleeve. For the price they were charging, I expected more authenticity. 

This movie had a title character. Strictly speaking the first episode was unclear which of 2 characters was the title character- this one or the other.  From the second episode onward, it was made clear it was the character introduced with the show.

The first movie showed us the Immortals, and one from the Scottish Highlands- a highlander.  His name was Connor Macleod.  In the opening moments of the first episode of the show, we see one man sleeping, and another man break in and prepare to ambush him.  The sleeping man awakes, draws a katana, and announces himself formally. "Duncan Macleod of the Clan Macleod."  About a minute into their fight, another man enters, almost breaking in, and announces himself. "CONNOR Macleod.  Same clan, different vintage."   The ambusher flees, and Connor leaves for a few scenes.  In the course of the episode, we see that Connor and Duncan know each other, and have interacted a number of times, if not frequently, and catch up like old friends in between fencing and practicing. In the first episode, it could be argued the series title referred to either or both. Connor takes off again at the end of the first episode, and the series doesn't see him again until after it ends and the movie "Endgame" reunites both Macleods.  At the beginning of the second episode, the series has an opening with a monologue. Duncan's explaining who he is, and he's obviously the highlander in question.  In later seasons, when someone else does the narration, they say so outright. "In the end, there can be only one. May it be Duncan Macleod, the highlander."

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I thought "Highlander" initially, but the Spain reference threw me.

With WW, when in doubt, it's probably Highlander or a Muppet movie.  :biglaugh:

George

I'm still waiting for them to release "Muppet Highlander."  With cgi, we could totally see Kermit and Gonzo totally dueling for The Prize.  My one regret would be that Bob Anderson couldn't choreograph the fight scenes.

This movie was essentially the finale of a popular (though short-lived) show.

Several of the actors performed their own stunts.  One, a trained dancer, used many of her dance moves in a major fight scene.  The cameraman, who was also a dancer, moved through a gap around the combatants to achieve the movie's dynamic camera angles.

The cast had a running gag where they would yell one actress's name whenever any of them flubbed a line or forgot to do something. It originated on the TV show when she forgot her line at the end of a very long and difficult scene.

George

"Order, order. God^&%&it, I said "order".  " Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of chaos comes order." "

"Well, that's the end of this suit."

"Yankee bean soup, cole slaw, and tuna surprise. "

"We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs here, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately!"

A decade before "Forrest Gump," this movie put its star in a number of real scenes from the 1920s and 1930s.  Unlike FG, this movie was in the form of a documentary.

The cinematographer had had some acclaim for his work on "The Godfather," but this film produced his first Oscar nomination.

Silent screen legend, Lillian Gish, was filmed for a scene in this movie. She scolded director of photography, Gordon Willis, on his lighting set-up and, while the crew watched aghast, gave Willis step by step instructions on how to re-light the scene. Willis complied. The scene did not make it into the final version of the film.

George

A decade before "Forrest Gump," this movie put its star in a number of real scenes from the 1920s and 1930s.  Unlike FG, this movie was in the form of a documentary.

The cinematographer had had some acclaim for his work on "The Godfather," but this film produced his first Oscar nomination.

Silent screen legend, Lillian Gish, was filmed for a scene in this movie. She scolded director of photography, Gordon Willis, on his lighting set-up and, while the crew watched aghast, gave Willis step by step instructions on how to re-light the scene. Willis complied. The scene did not make it into the final version of the film.

The star is quite famous, for good and bad reasons.  This is one of his lesser-known films

As with many of his other movies, the star wrote and directed.

George

I saw part of this movie when I was sick in bed, so I heard some of it and saw less, but I vaguely recalled his imitations including edited film of celebrities.   Frankly, I had a thought it might have been this movie, but figured I was far off until the next set of clues.

If there were such a record, this movie would win the record for "most cups of coffee unsuccessfully drunk by a single character. "  IIRC, he finishes one at the end, and attempted to drink 4 others during the course of the movie, but was interrupted each time (a car braked heavily, a coffee was shot out of his hand...)

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Raf said:

Hudson Hawk

That's the one. I challenged someone once to count how many cups of coffee he finished in the course of the movie, right before they sat down to watch it.  When they got back to me, they just busted out laughing.    In the first 10 minutes, he's stopped twice.  Once, he's in a car that brakes heavily, and once someone shoots the cup out of his hand.  The other attempts are a bit more subtle until the closing of the movie. The last line of regular dialogue is "Drink your coffee." He does and flips the cup over his shoulder as the narrator closes things out. 

So, your turn!

This movie Is not new, but you may have watched it over the last couple of days [or plan to]. 

It's rated R, though it has no sex or violence.

It has the f-word, though. About 18 times in the span of one minute, I think.