GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

On 5/21/2024 at 8:03 PM, Human without the bean said:

Okay it's me.  One momento.

Eight minutes later, and 39 hours.  What cost actor Roddy McDowall a Best Supporting actor Oscar for his performance as Octavian in the 1963 Epic film "Cleopatra"?

54 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

He wasn't nominated?

No, he was nominated.  I had a mental block until I finally came up with this.  It's because I've been thinking about something for this thread but instead I'm going to start a new thread that will be a different take on movies.  Hope it's fun.

By the way, I don't think Roddy McDowall ever received an acting Oscar.  He may have gotten an Honorary Oscar but they don't count imo.  And unless you happen to collect Roddy McDowall memorabilia or have a thing for him and his movies, career, etc. or are a walking Oscar thesaurus I would put this trivia at about 8 or 8.5 in terms of difficulty, ten being the highest.

The Oscars for 1963 movies were given in 1964. Cleopatra was nominated but didn't win Best Picture.

Rex Harrison was nominated for Best Actor for his role in Cleopatra, but didn't win.

The nominees for Best Supporting Actor were Melvyn Douglas, Hugh Griffith, Bobby Darin, John Huston, and Nick Adams.  No Roddy McDowall.

Maybe your question was, Why wasn't he nominated?  

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The Oscars for 1963 movies were given in 1964. Cleopatra was nominated but didn't win Best Picture.

Rex Harrison was nominated for Best Actor for his role in Cleopatra, but didn't win.

The nominees for Best Supporting Actor were Melvyn Douglas, Hugh Griffith, Bobby Darin, John Huston, and Nick Adams.  No Roddy McDowall.

Maybe your question was, Why wasn't he nominated?  

George

I checked it out, you're right, Roddy McDowall wasn't nominated in the category of Best Supporting Actor because Twentieth Century Fox mistakenly nominated him for Best Actor instead.

I'm guessing then, that the Academy removed his official nomination because of the error.  He was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor, but didn't win.  I was right Roddy McDowall didn't win an Oscar.  In fact, he was never nominated (except through the clerical error that probably cost him the Oscar).  Here's Twentieth C. statement released to the trade papers at the time and an apology to Roddy McDowall.

"We feel that it is important that the industry realize that your electric performance as Octavian in 'Cleopatra,' which was unanimously singled out by the critics as one of the best supporting performances by an actor this year, is not eligible for an Academy Award nomination in that category . . . due to a regrettable error on the part of Twentieth Century Fox."

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Raf said:

Spencer Tracy?

Good guess.  No.   He wasn't as famous as Spencer, but he made a name for himself.   Hoping that this isn't throwing a monkey wrench in here but he had career on the side as a singer with one song in 1962 that reached #5 in the Billboard 100.  He starred in a popular TV show that lasted six years (1957 to 1963.  Frequently starred with Gary Cooper.

Edited by Human without the bean

• 3 weeks later...

This movie has the odd distinction of winning the MTV Movie Award for "Best Fight" despite not being an action movie.   That's not especially odd, but this movie is a COMEDY.

Included as weapons in that specific fight were a HAND GRENADE,  brass knuckles, a whip, a machete, and a TRIDENT.