GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Ok, let's see....

This movie was inspired by "Pride and Prejudice."  3 of its actors/actresses also appeared in the Harry Potter movie series, as recurring characters.  Another was Salman Rushdie, who played himself.   Hugh Grant and Colin Firth appeared in it, and improvised their fight scene.  This movie was the first of a trilogy that has been directed solely by female directors. (Why, then, is the main character so obsessed over her weight?)

On 9/14/2016 at 6:17 AM, Raf said:

Timecop

Yeah I kind of gave it away.  I should have held off with that Arnie transplant part for awhile.

this is just an example of what happens when I am trying to quote a post by someone.

ANYWAY, and then you're guess is Bridget Jones,  Wolfie?

13 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Yeah I kind of gave it away.  I should have held off with that Arnie transplant part for awhile.

this is just an example of what happens when I am trying to quote a post by someone.

ANYWAY, and then you're guess is Bridget Jones,  Wolfie?

You are correct!    (And the usage of "Wolfie" made me do a double-take and recheck who was posting.)

Harry Potter fans might recognize the actors/ actresses for Professor Slughorn and Madame Pomfrey,

as well as Moaning Myrtle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 8:52 PM, Human without the bean said:

Thanks George, I did forget. I'm working on it.

Ok.  I have something that is unusual in concept but probably not for this thread.

The year was 1987.  The movie received several nods (nominations) in various categories.  Platoon won the Best Picture that year.  That's not the movie.  I just figured while anyone who is twisting their (your) head about that this trivia mention may give those playing a reference point to go off of.  Other movie's nominated that year were "Children Of A Lesser God" and for "Hannah, and Her Sisters".  So, I'll leave the categories we are concerned with here in hopes that you will know the movie.

The movie was nominated for Best Picture.  This movie won in the category of Best Actor in a leading role. (I know this is not that thread).  {The actor was not present at the awards ceremony}.  The award winning actor also was nominated another 9 times in the lead actor category through-out his career.  I'll let you know that I became exhilarated when I discovered this fact about the Best Actor award from this movie and this tidbit of history is all that I had to go with for clues.  It's sort of like Pacino won for "A Scent Of A Woman" but that doesn't nearly or truly encompass his entire body of work.

Other categories that were picked up for nominations from this movie  were:

Best Supporting Role by an actress.  

Best Writing, Screenplay based on material from another medium.

Best Art Direction-Set direction 

FYI:  The actor reprised his previous role in this movie as a hot-shot for what many say is a sequel to the same role he played 25 years earlier.  But the director didn't go in that direction.  It's not really a sequel.  Also in this movie, (stay with me) the supporting role actor played a hot-shot role too. The supporting actor did another movie in 1986 also playing a hot shot, a role his career has now been build on, that of playing a hot shot and he is pretty good looking and likes to show off a lot.  Rumour has it, circa 2016 that he will also reprise this role in a sequel sometime in the future.

If anything I may start a new thread with this type of trivia in mind.  (Or not).

Edited by Human without the bean
wanted to

3 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Is that your final answer Raf?

1 hour ago, Raf said:

The Color of Money

I call foul, I was robbed!  Well, anyway, I won't prolong this then?   Yes, that's it.  Just what part of those clues jived with you Raf?.

Was it the Cruise clue, or maybe the 25 year later bit?  Or were you born in 1987?

• 2 months later...

This movie became the first motion picture, since Cimarron (1931), to be nominated for every Academy Award category in which it was eligible, including Best Adapted Screenplay, Director, all the acting categories, and Picture of the Year.

The Supporting Actress, who was pregnant at the time of filming, suffered a miscarriage on the set.

The MPAA insisted on the removal of the term "screw you" from the film where it was replaced with the term "God damn you" but allowed the terms "screw" and "hump the hostess" to remain in the film.

George

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

*wild swing* "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"?

No, but approximately the right time period.

Two of the stars married each other.  Twice.

The first movie to be given the MPAA tag: "No one under 18 will be admitted unless accompanied by his parent."

While the lead actor and actress were forces to be reckoned with while they were working, it was a challenge to actually get them in front of the camera every day. They both had it in their contracts that they didn't have to be on the set until 10:00 A.M., even though most other productions began at dawn. After they arrived on set, it would take two hours of makeup, hair and wardrobe to get them ready for shooting, and by the time they were camera ready, it was lunch time. They would often go off for lengthy cocktail-filled lunches, often with friends, and then return late in the afternoon to finally begin shooting. "When they finally came back late," recalled Sam O'Steen, "they'd just ignore it all, be real nice. 'Hey, Mike, old buddy, sorry we're late. Okay, let's shoot!'...Sometimes they wouldn't come back 'til five o'clock and they had in their contract that they couldn't work past six o'clock."

This movie became the first motion picture, since Cimarron (1931), to be nominated for every Academy Award category in which it was eligible, including Best Adapted Screenplay, Director, all the acting categories, and Picture of the Year.

The Supporting Actress, who was pregnant at the time of filming, suffered a miscarriage on the set.

The MPAA insisted on the removal of the term "screw you" from the film where it was replaced with the term "God damn you" but allowed the terms "screw" and "hump the hostess" to remain in the film.

George

• 2 weeks later...

In her A&E Biography special, the lead actress remarked that her performance as Martha was her personal best.

18th July 1966: Police seized this film, and arrested the manager of a local Nashville cinema, for contravening a municipal order that banned films, as this, for contents of an obscene nature.

The first movie to be given the MPAA tag: "No one under 18 will be admitted unless accompanied by his parent."

While the lead actor and actress were forces to be reckoned with while they were working, it was a challenge to actually get them in front of the camera every day. They both had it in their contracts that they didn't have to be on the set until 10:00 A.M., even though most other productions began at dawn. After they arrived on set, it would take two hours of makeup, hair and wardrobe to get them ready for shooting, and by the time they were camera ready, it was lunch time. They would often go off for lengthy cocktail-filled lunches, often with friends, and then return late in the afternoon to finally begin shooting. "When they finally came back late," recalled Sam O'Steen, "they'd just ignore it all, be real nice. 'Hey, Mike, old buddy, sorry we're late. Okay, let's shoot!'...Sometimes they wouldn't come back 'til five o'clock and they had in their contract that they couldn't work past six o'clock."

George

• 2 weeks later...

Last clue before I flip over the cards:

The title of this movie is a play on a song used in the 1933 Disney cartoon, "The Three Little Pigs."

In her A&E Biography special, the lead actress remarked that her performance as Martha was her personal best.

18th July 1966: Police seized this film, and arrested the manager of a local Nashville cinema, for contravening a municipal order that banned films, as this, for contents of an obscene nature.

George