GreaseSpot Cafe

Anybody ever been to Israel?

RottieGrrrl

I'm going on a Holy Land tour in October. I've never been out of the country, I've barely been anywhere IN the country for that matter. Salem Communications which owns a lot of these Christian radio stations throughout the country is putting this together. I'm hooking up with our local Chicago area Christian radio outlet, because I want to go with local people in my area. I mean, the Christian TV shows run trips to Israel all the time, but I don't want to go on some big international group, I want to go with locals from my own area, so this local radio thing sounds great.

I'm actually paying extra so I can have my own room. Otherwise they would put me with somebody I don't know, and I certainly don't want that. But I'm really excited.

Anyway, I am sure they will have an orientation before we go, but I have a couple of questions. How do you dress for October? What is acceptable at the Holy Sites? I mean, do I have to wear a head covering, etc. Should I bring cash and convert it to shekles, lol, however you spell that? Anybody been there? I mean, it's 6 months away, but I'm just curious. OHHH, 18 hour plane flight!!! I'm working on my cutting down on smoking now, lol.

How much money should I bring? I will need to buy at least a dozen souvenirs for people, but that's my limit. Everybody wants a bottle of Jordan River water, lol.

PS. I have my passport already! I never had a passport before. I can't wait to get my first (and probably only) stamp!

Oh, here is a link to the itinerary Israel Tour Oct 2014

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Cute song waysider. lol. Well, I've never been to Israel, but I kind of like their Jesus, lol. Actually, that's one of the many reasons I want to go, I have been thinking, just within the past year or so, how much our western culture has Gentilised (I know I'm not spelling that right) Jesus. You know? I want to familiarize myself with the Jewish culture that He loved and grew up with. Plus it will just be a really neat trip, lol. :)

Rottie, I am not sure how much of the culture Jesus might have known is likely still to be found in any part of Israel. But you will see some locations that might help you place more vividly certain incidents referred to in both OT and gospels. The land is still in the same place, but the events that took place can be in varying locations (there are several places where Jesus was born, taught, was buried, etc. - depending on who is giving the tour).

On Day 6 you are visiting The Garden Tomb and my church here in the UK has links with that - the current director is a member of our congregation (when here in the UK) and so is one of the directors (who happens to be in my housegroup). A lot of people with different backgrounds work or volunteer at Garden Tomb and one of its functions (?) is reconciliation between different nationalities.

Have a splendid trip. It's all very exciting for you. Good that you are going with local Christians and you might make some great contacts there with your Christian bros and sis, during your travels. Do let us all know how it goes!

Yes! I hear you Twinx! My dad used to talk about how there are different burial sites for Jesus depending on what religion/tour group you are with. Not that he was ever there, but I guess that's pretty well known. LOL! But I agree with you that it's the same land and general area, and the same River Jordan, (I'm getting baptized in the Jordan, how COOL IS THAT?)

I see you actually read the link! I can't wait to go to the garden tomb! I can't wait to see where Armageddon is going to be fought! I understand what you are saying that it's not the same exact culture, but I guess I want to understand some of the rituals and stuff. And eat the things that Jesus probably was eating. I want to see what a fig tree looks like! I always felt sorry for that poor old fig tree, and I'm STILL not sure what that meant when He cursed it because everytime some TV minister explains it I get a different explanation! :(/>

And believe me, If I get internet access over there I'll definitely post as soon as I can. I just can't wait, lol.

Now can anybody help me with my questions about what to wear and how much money to bring and how to exchange it? :)/>

PS I'm really looking forward to the Israel museum and the Holocaust memorial. That should be really...what's the word...heavy. Sheesh. I can't even think of the proper word. But you know what I mean.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Mr. waysider. PLEASE keep on track please. :knuddel: I understand there are a THOUSAND side trips to where I am going. BUT, I am going to Israel and the itinerary is quite clear,...Mr. froggy friend. And sweetie, you are not the only one who is asking. I have people at work asking if I'm going to Jordan, etc..and the answer is NO! I am going to Israel with NO side trips! okie dokie? Here is the LINK again!!! ROTTIE'S LINK TO ISRAEL!!!!!!!

So I am still asking for people who have been there to give me tips!

I went to Israel back in 1981. A lot of things are still done the same way as in the time of Jesus such as shepherding. Some customs are the same as the time of Christ. What I thought was really cool was that they told us that olive trees live for a very very long time and it's suspected that many of the trees that are in the Garden of Gethsamane were there when Jesus was. That means some of those trees "heard" Jesus pray the night he was captured. You can still buy bread the way they made it in times of old. However, since that time the land has been conquered and occupied by other cultures such as the Turks, whose customs have had a huge impact on the area. The Sea of Galilee is gorgeous. You'll be surprised at how close together everything is. Things seems farther away from each other when you read the Gospels because, of course, they went everywhere on foot back then.

It's true, there are multiple sites where they think Jesus was born and was buried. I don't think they know for sure where Armageddon is. They have a good idea. At least that was true in 1981.

As far as weather, and information that is of any practical use, I can't tell you much. I was there in January. I needed a medium jacket for most of the tour, if that tells you anything. As far as currency, at the time I was there, American currency was widely accepted by everyone. So I carried a lot of $1 bills and was fine. You are beset by beggars, usually children whenever your tour bus stops. One word of advice, stay with your group, don't wander off. A lone westerner walking around in say, Jerusalem is not a good idea.

I'm excited for you, you'll have a great time!

Broken Arrow that is just the type of little tidbits I'm looking for! Thank you so much! I especially loved the part of the olive trees and how they are so old that some of them may have "heard" Christ praying! Oh and thanks for the warning about not straying from the group. I kind of knew that already but it's good to be reminded.

Had a quick chat with Peter in church this morning. He says the climate when you'll be going is "a bit warmer than here, now" which doesn't help you a lot, but generally it would mean light clothes and a sweater/cardigan, not bulky thick winter stuff. It's cooler in Jerusalem than Tel Aviv, because it's higher in altitude. It is their busiest time at The Garden Tomb, but it is still tranquil and quiet. US dollars are widely accepted and of course you can use your ATM card everywhere - they are very techno-savvy. There are plenty of places that you can change money. He makes the point that the whole of Jerusalem was razed in AD70 and there is only the wailing wall left from prior to that time.

You might find this site useful: Israeli Tourist info and the TripAdvisor info is also usually pretty good: Trip Advisor

You might want to make some enquiries before you depart about different credit or debit cards that you can use overseas. This is often a very favorable way to change money. There is an exchange rate and there may be a transaction fee from the card provider but if you have a pre-loaded card you might reduce or remove fees entirely. Ask your bank (or google it!).

Edited by Twinky

I went with the John Scheinheit group in 1998. It was summer, so it was hot. We had to carry a water bottle with us. I wore shorts outfits a lot. Some places you need something longer. At the time, American money was accepted almost everywhere. People are trying to sell you stuff everywhere you go. It's nice to buy some stuff but I bought too much. Don't forget your camera of course.

Oh I bet Schoenheit gives a GREAT Bible Land tour. Out of curiosity I looked on his website and saw they are doing one in July of this year. But like I said, I'd rather go with a local group. Otherwise you meet these great people all over the country, and you never SEE anybody again. So this will have more of a local community feel to it. But thanks for the reminder of not buying EVERYTHING in site, lol.

I went in 2000. At the time I was living in Italy, I met the group at the airport in Jerusalem. The closest flight arrival I could get to their arrival was 14 hours before them. So I had a long wait in the terminal for them to arrive.

I did not know any of them. So it was a group of strangers. There were lots of groups coming through the terminal. Not knowing anyone in the group, made it more stressful, as I did not have much to go on in terms of spotting the right group.

I volunteered to carry and hold the lighting for the video equipment during each teaching. That was fun, but we were expecting to get copies on DVD soon afterward. The camera man was a professional from LA, with professional gear. But it never happened. Years went by. My inquiries were never answered. Then last fall [2013] the videos were finally made available on Youtube. That was sure a long delay.

In a way, looking back, I would have been better off to not help with the lighting. During most of the teachings the camera would scan the surroundings and the crowd. Everyone in the group was filmed, except for the camera man and myself.

Everyone did take a lot of photos. After the trip we did share the photos, and they were burned onto a CD. Again it was a group of people who all knew each other, so many of the photos were of each other. If I had brought my wife, then at least we would have photos of each other in all those Biblical sites.

If you go, make a point of having someone else take your photo, at each place. So when your done, ten years from now, you will have photos of you at those places. Otherwise, ...

Hey Galen, that's a great story. I see your point about the lighting, and not being in any of the footage. I would LOVE a youtube link, if you could provide one. Thanks for the advice on getting somebody to take a pic of me at all the sites. I honestly had not thought about that. But yeah, sounds like you had an interesting time! I actually was at the singles camp that CES ran in the Smokey Mountains in May of 2000, and I know they were talking about the upcoming trip to Israel, and I was really jealous. Just like you, I'm finally getting what I want, 14 years later, lol. I bet you didn't ever think you were going to have to wait 13 years to see the footage of the trip!

I enjoyed the trip.

I saw a lot of stuff that I had read about for years.

They were very good about avoiding 'traditional' sites that have no Biblical standing.

But with the passing of years, I look through so many photos and they are all photos of strangers.

Enjoy your trip :)

Thanks Galen, I'm watching it now. I know what you mean about the photos of strangers. That's how the Singles Camp was. I mean, some of us tried to keep in touch, this was before the facebook days, but it's not the same when you live 1000 miles away from each other, you know? But thanks bunches for the video. So THIS is the trip I missed!! This is great, lol.

• 4 months later...

Rottie, your tour is getting close now and no doubt you are getting quite excited about it.

I went to talk recently by a Palestinian Christian - he was born into one of the small remaining groups of Christians and historically, his family has been Christians for many generations. He talks about aspects of life in Palestine, specifically in Bethlehem where he lives. There are very few Christians left in Palestine and particularly in Bethlehem, and this work supports that small minority group. Among a persecuted people, they themselves are often more persecuted - by Palestinians. They can get a "free pass" from Israelis and this religious distinction is used as a divide-and-separate device by Israeli soldiers.

He is a young man of about 30, trained as a lawyer, can't get legal work, and did some work / training at the Bethlehem Icon School. Bethlehem Icon School He was keen to promote the work done by the Icon School, which brings a much needed source of income for Palestinian Christians, who paint the icons to earn some money. There is almost no other work to enable people to buy the necessities of life. Bethlehem is usually included in Israel tours, he says, but few tourists realise that they are in Palestine not Israel; and they spend money in souvenir shops that bring money to Israel not Palestine.

• 1 month later...