GreaseSpot Cafe

Why do things in the past seem dorky?

skyrider

honestly it's not about "dorky" - it's about stupid embarrassing crap we had to endure and in front of other adults who were not "in the way" -- it actually disgusts me as it did then, but THEN i found some stupid way to rationalize it

of course things we wore or things we did in our past could be considered dorky

i'm not even considering that type of stuff

people in my family and friends outside of the way were in the same era of dorkiness - you understand? they found things in the way strange - same here

we didn't have a TV in the way home

we sang stupid songs to guests in the way corps in residence

we wore big stupid buttons to recognize each other at functions

we were so blessed and had our own little code language

never confess a negative

third aid and all that nonsense

come on i could go on and on

of course things in the past seem dorky

but things in the way seem DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS

thank you

• Upvote 1

we didn't have a TV in the way home

we sang stupid songs to guests in the way corps in residence

we wore big stupid buttons to recognize each other at functions

we were so blessed and had our own little code language

never confess a negative

third aid and all that nonsense

come on i could go on and on

of course things in the past seem dorky

but things in the way seem DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS

thank you

Yeah.....all those stupid, pathetic songs during corps indoctrination

"Roll Away"......every burden of my heart, roll way.

And.....TWI was the one putting burdens on my heart.

Were these ridiculous, childish songs to get us to obey?

Were they simply put in as "filler time" while leader caught his breathe?

Were twi leaders that brain-dead to not SEE the stupidity and inference the songs had?

The twisting perversions in twi, and corps training, were contradicting one another.

Wierwille taught that no biblical student can privately interpret scripture.....then vpee DOES it.

Wierwille taught that physical body the VEHICLE to speak God's Word.....then CHAIN SMOKES.

Wierwille taught not to be a stumbling block to others......then teaches crass sex class.

Indoctrination information overload.......

Keep them busy, keep them jumping, keep them from connecting the dots.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bu11chit.

I once had a professor who taught pre civil war US history. He was German. It gets weirder. He taught us that the word 'gringo' had its origin from the Mexican war. The last thing those Mexican soldiers heard before they were attacked was American soldiers singing a song called 'green grow the lilacs'. So "green grow" got transliterated into "greengo/gringo". Those soldiers sang that song before they killed in war. Nice. Bet some of those soldiers thought that was dorky.

I once had a professor who taught pre civil war US history. He was German. It gets weirder. He taught us that the word 'gringo' had its origin from the Mexican war. The last thing those Mexican soldiers heard before they were attacked was American soldiers singing a song called 'green grow the lilacs'. So "green grow" got transliterated into "greengo/gringo". Those soldiers sang that song before they killed in war. Nice. Bet some of those soldiers thought that was dorky.

Your professor might have fared a little better if he had done a bit of etymological research before passing this off as "history"..

HERE

BTW. Why is it weird that he was German? According to the U.S. Census, Germans and German Americans make up the largest ancestry group in The United States.

Edited by waysider