GreaseSpot Cafe

Are You More Moral Than Yahweh?

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

People's understanding of morality changes, the ideal person changes, then God changes.  Evolution provides the number of frames from which we draw morality.

That's why.

So we are more moral today than Yahweh was in the O.T.

Thank you for taking forever to agree with me.

Just now, Raf said:

So we are more moral today than Yahweh was in the O.T.

Thank you for taking forever to agree with me.

I said understanding.

"more" implies something more significant.  It's been what?  Thousands of years?  Not millions.

Like I believe own of the aspects being worked out in David's story is the King's submission to God.  King is the head of The State.  But if he sees himself as the State, that's totalitarian rule.  God serves as something above the King.

And should there be a worldwide catastrophe, would we remain as moral as we think we are?  We might try.  We would fail.  Not because of a lack of willingness, but because that understanding can be lost.

23 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

People's understanding of morality changes, the ideal person changes, then God changes.  Evolution provides the number of frames from which we draw morality.

That's why.

Societies change. What is considered moral, and what is not, changes along with those societal changes. But the Bible states that God never changes. Whether we think of God as an actual entity or as a concept, there exists that stipulation to deal with. Was society so different 2,000, 3,000 years ago that people alive during that time actually accepted the things we're discussing to be moral? If they did, I have to think our understanding of their culture is so limited that it's pointless to try to find true meaning in anything of a Biblical nature.

The moment we say "God changes," we admit that man created God and not vice versa. Or that God is not perfect and can become better over time. Neither premise is supposed to be true of Yahweh as portrayed in the Bible. 

49 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Which goes back to why stories survive better than propaganda. etc etc.

Stories that contain propaganda can have tremendous staying power. Ask the average Muslim. Staying power doesn't prove a story true, not does it prove the story is not propaganda at heart. 

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Stories that contain propaganda can have tremendous staying power. Ask the average Muslim. Staying power doesn't prove a story true, not does it prove the story is not propaganda at heart. 

They may.  But I think you're referred to Memes.

But the snake story.  Our ancestors who live in trees, they were snake food and evolved the wiring to fear them.  There are stories that are just more true.

4 hours ago, waysider said:

Societies change. What is considered moral, and what is not, changes along with those societal changes. But the Bible states that God never changes. Whether we think of God as an actual entity or as a concept, there exists that stipulation to deal with. Was society so different 2,000, 3,000 years ago that people alive during that time actually accepted the things we're discussing to be moral? If they did, I have to think our understanding of their culture is so limited that it's pointless to try to find true meaning in anything of a Biblical nature.

I think, if the Bible does indeed says "God doesn't change" . . . I think it's relative in meaning.  He may change.  But over a persons lifetime or several generations?  He doesn't.  Not thousands of years ago.

We have better medicine today, does that make us better?  We're certainly better off.  It's also possible to lose that knowledge and its benefits.  Same with morality.

3 hours ago, Raf said:

The moment we say "God changes," we admit that man created God and not vice versa. Or that God is not perfect and can become better over time. Neither premise is supposed to be true of Yahweh as portrayed in the Bible. 

God is an abstraction of an many ideals.  Compared to any human, yes he is perfect.  It's relative.  We don't have to take everything as absolute.

Nobody is making the claims about Yahweh that Raf is in this thread.  But to show the assumptions Raf made in order to come up with the Thread question are false, only proves his assertion.

Personally I think it's more important to tackle the assumptions on which the question is predicated. 

The thing is, you are proving my point, but you are not proving my assertions or assumptions are false. Rather, you are demonstrating precisely why I am correct, but phrasing it in a way to make it seem like you're disproving my points. You are not disproving my points. You are proving them. If you are so committed to disagreeing with me that you can't even see that. You think your evolving God undermines my argument. Your evolving God makes my argument.

Edited by Raf

6 minutes ago, Raf said:

No assumptions. I have simply presented Yahweh as the Bible does.

You have assumptions.  Lots of them.

Yahweh here is entirely Raf's literal according to Raf's usage.

It's not from a more scientific perspective.  Using human and pre-human evolution and psychological interpretations.

If you accept Raf's question, that you are more moral than Yahweh, you will accept a lot of other mumbo jumbo along with it.

If you reject the notion that you are more moral now than Yahweh, then you will open yourself up to accepting all manner of atrocity in the name of religion.

Edited by Raf

How convenient. You get to make up whatever characteristics of God you want in order to win the argument. Would that my opponent were bound to a book.

The only assumption i made is that the Bible is the most authoritative Source on the characteristics of Yahweh. When the Bible says he does not change, and someone comes along and says he does change, I have to go with the Bible

14 minutes ago, Raf said:

If you reject the notion that you are more moral now than Yahweh, then you will open yourself up to accepting all manner of atrocity in the name of religion.

This is our major point of disagreement.

If you consider yourself more moral than Yahweh, you open yourself up to all manner of atrocity in the name of reaction to extremism.