GreaseSpot Cafe

Are You More Moral Than Yahweh?

There's a relationship between people/morality/God . . . and I'll throw in Free Speech.

If there was a nuclear catastrophe and our civilization was wiped out, what reason do we think the population wouldn't go through a similar process as in the Old Testament?  Because we are not inherently more moral than Yahweh, there's a good chance the process would repeat.

On 11/14/2014 at 0:25 AM, waysider said:

In order to compare any two or multiple entities, there needs to be a finite criteria to serve as a measuring stick of sorts. Let's say, for argument's sake, that the criteria is whether or not it is moral to stone someone to death for a minor infraction. I think we would all opine that it's not. It's not something I would personally recommend, anyhow. Yahweh (AKA: Mac Daddy of the OT), on the other hand, not only recommends it, He prescribes it. Do a logical comparison to determine which entity displays a higher level of morality. I give you three guesses .....but the first two don't count.

Ok, Raf,

So here morality is subjective.  I suppose it is.

Is Yahweh's morality subjective?

Are we setting ourselves equal to a god and then making comparisons?

On 2/12/2015 at 0:23 AM, Raf said:

It's really not hard. In my posts, I'm laying out specific differences between morality as we understand it today and Yahweh's laws and behavior as exhibited in his law. My premise is that if morality is both objective and absolute, and God is the source of that objective, absolute morality, then his law should be absolutely and objectively moral. In all points. So instances in which his law appears to not be moral according to our standards MUST be addressed. Are our standards wrong? Are we misunderstanding the scriptures?

Now be careful. You talked about the eastern mindset considering the concept of an "employee" barbaric. The burden is now on you to demonstrate not just that they felt this way, but that they were correct to do so. That is, if you're equating the eastern mindset with God's will. Otherwise, we're off topic again. I'm not asking if you are more moral than Bronze Age Israelites. I'm asking if you are more moral than the God they worshipped.

Personally, I don't see how you can come up with a definition of slavery that is BOTH Biblically accurate and morally defensible. The Bible doesn't just employ the word. It establishes the meaning. And God never abolished the institution. As slavery is defined and regulated in the Bible, I submit YOU would have abolished it. God didn't. Why?

Ok.  Here Raf says morality is objective and absolute.

Edited by Bolshevik
immoral spelling

Okay . . . suppose people lived in a culture with various practices.  Like slavery.

Maybe in moves Yahweh and adds Law to guide things in a better direction.  Starting with practices already present.  Did Yahweh initiate owning slaves??

Kind of like U.S. culture changed over time.  Not that long ago.  In fact, I believe (some) white folks used God as their argument to own slaves.  Was that Yahweh's fault or the people's attitudes?  Didn't other religious folks make aggressive campaigns to change things?

You've got God being used on both side of an argument.  It's clearly the people, not Yahweh.

(Just a reminder I don't view God from a Fundamentalist view)

Edited by Bolshevik

On 2/12/2015 at 0:23 AM, Raf said:

It's really not hard. In my posts, I'm laying out specific differences between morality as we understand it today and Yahweh's laws and behavior as exhibited in his law. My premise is that if morality is both objective and absolute, and God is the source of that objective, absolute morality, then his law should be absolutely and objectively moral. In all points. So instances in which his law appears to not be moral according to our standards MUST be addressed. Are our standards wrong? Are we misunderstanding the scriptures?

. . . .

Raf you appear to hold an objective, absolute view of morality.

People's morality is subjective.  IMO.  We have evolved behaviors, emotions, capacities, instincts, potentials and gut feelings of many sorts that not only conflict within ourselves, but conflict with other people.  And we all meet in unique circumstances throughout history.

We all come together with our own subjective moralities, talk, argue, fight a war, make peace, overthrow another government and whatnot . . . but hopefully mostly dialogue by taking full responsibility for our Free Speech . . . and try to reason out what the objective morality is.  Ideals and abstract concepts that merge and evolve from all this conflict over time could be called God.  Or Yahweh on some threads.  Yes God in a sense, compared to the rest of us, is all-knowing, all-powerful etc.  Each generation we are socialized by the practiced understanding of the culture's cumulative understanding of God, and other gods.  That knowledge is greater than any single person.

To say any one person is more moral than any god from any time in history . . . it's just wrong. IMO.

Edited by Bolshevik
moral reasons

God as an abstract concept is also a transcendent one.  It is above the system.  (take out a dollar bill and look at the pyramid, why is the cap lifting?)

He's outside the group and within it.  NO human can do that.  Unless you are VPW.  And we know how that works.

The statement "you are more moral than Yahweh" is to lift a person above the system of people.  Aren't we to argue together and not lift ourselves over each other?

17 hours ago, Raf said:

"To say I'm more moral than Yahweh is to also say I am more moral than EVERYONE. . . . .   All hail ME!"

This is the same guy who in another thread accused me of using a straw man argument.

This is absurdity and not worthy of a serious reply. 

While going over the thread I noted another poster stating this is a strawman.  So I'm not the first to think that.

Your statement "We are more moral than Yahweh" implies a lot.  

Yahweh, God, other gods, are not objects.  Are not people.

"We are more moral than Liberty"

Resultado de imagen para liberty

On 11/12/2014 at 0:47 PM, Raf said:

1. For how many crimes do you feel it is appropriate to kill the perpetrator by having everyone in town surround him and throw heavy rocks at him until he dies?

1.a. Did a child being disobedient to his parents make the list?

1.b. Did picking up sticks after sunset on a Friday make the list?

2. If you were to start a society from scratch, how many laws regulating slavery would you require?

2.a. Would any of those laws crack your Top Ten list?

2.a.i. Why the hell not?

3. What difference should the marital status of a raped woman make in determining the punishment meted out to the rapist?

3a. Who is the victim in a rape case, and how much restitution is he due?

To be continued...

Okay so you're asking . . . .WOW . . . just because someone wouldn't do these things and even would be adverse to them . . . that makes them MORAL?

Not sure you have good data here . .  

These are all very intelligent folks with some great questions and I enjoy listening and learning from them about many things.

But they all have a collective strawman argument.  Harris has the false trichotomy going.  Pretty cool.

So Raf, your question is a Strawman.  Maybe false analogy, false equivalency.  And you're in good company.

It does not properly relate morality, people, God, The Bible, evolution, reality, and so on.

23 hours ago, Raf said:

. . .

(Answer: God's morality is derived from the people who created Him, not the other way around. God gets his morality from us. That's why He evolves and gets kinder and gentler as history progresses. A God who really existed and was the source of objective morality would not evolve).

This again, is another strawman.

You put God in a conscience creation.  What science is there to back that?

Actually, the primary purpose (or intent) of the law was not to establish or improve morality.  Remove that from the equation, and perhaps what you think of (or how you view) God (and the law) changes.  Little did they know or realize it at the time, but the law was set forth to convict (all) mankind.  Why? Well, because the acceptance of being worthy of death points a man towards the need (and acceptance) of the savior from death.

25 minutes ago, TLC said:

Actually, the primary purpose (or intent) of the law was not to establish or improve morality.  Remove that from the equation, and perhaps what you think of (or how you view) God (and the law) changes.  Little did they know or realize it at the time, but the law was set forth to convict (all) mankind.  Why? Well, because the acceptance of being worthy of death points a man towards the need (and acceptance) of the savior from death.

That seems very sensible to me, TLC.  The Law had a practical purpose.  With a direction.  

I think the initial posts argues . . . God is omnipotent . . . it should have been a better law.  Then begin to poke random holes at random in God's work.  This is the same argument you see in all creation.  Our eyeballs have a faulty design . . . therefore God doesn't exist.  The initial post's argument is unoriginal.

In this case though imperfect morality is used.

edit to add (I know the argument is not a disproof of God, OT version, just an attack on his credibility.)

Edited by Bolshevik

Also not sure why the focus is on The Law.  Why not complain about the Garden of Eden and how the design had a flaw?  That's a typical complaint, and rather straight to the point.  Same as looking for flaws in creation (i.e. nerves in the eye)

Or why we're terming God as Yahweh.  Is there some meaning in doing that or is it just for show?

That and the question of the Law's purpose, which was not necessarily about morality.

I feel this is is a very forced question.  

I think much is missed if what is said about Eden doesn't consider and view it as being flawless.  But, such thoughts undoubtedly veer sharply off course from anything being discussed on this thread... 

In short, anything less than "very good" just isn't the same condition that's intended and communicated in the word "Eden."

Edited by TLC

The argument usually goes, God put a self-destruct button in Eden (the tree), an All knowing all loving God wouldn't have done that.  Therefore, the story is all B.S.

I just see the parallel with that argument with the thread topic.  We think we can imagine better, therefore Yahweh messed up.

You know, my cat can't do as much harm as I can.  Does that make it more moral than me? . . . It can't do as much good either.  Does it have a right to compare us?  

The interpretation I'm most comfortable with concerning Eden is one that lays out our early humanities' awareness of our own capacity for good or evil.  We are capable of either at any time.  And we are aware of what we can do to others and what they can do to us.  That's somewhat frightening if you think on it.  Consequences of sin is because we are aware of the control we have to change things, and don't do it.  (that's a short version)  

Get to Noah's time and only he is doing things the best way.  Everyone else is goofing off to the extreme.  The flood represents catastrophe built by their own hands.  There's a lot of detail in maintaining a stable society.  Noah was just wiser than the rest, was able to see down the road, and his wisdom spared himself and his family.  That's not a crazy story.

The Law comes in some time after that . . . TLC you're basically saying the Law was to prepare for the need of JC.  Convicting people would make sense.  You're not supposed to help people who won't help themselves.  At least that's bad practice.  It sounds like The Law was just a way to get people to that point where they would act themselves?

If that's so, Yahweh doesn't look bad in that light.

18 hours ago, TLC said:

Do you know if The Law is meant for the Group (Israel), or at the individual level, or both?

Laws are usually meant to help a group function . . . just curious.

This totally reminds me of I, Robot.  Remember three robot laws?

I believe it was used to show how rules ultimately conflict with each other.  

That's certainly one way to get minds in a twist.  With The Law.  Any sets of Laws, in relation to the real world, would show Law is not the full answer.  

Nothing you guys have come up with explains why a moral God killed someone for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week or punished a rapist by having him marry his victim. The logical contortions you have to come up with to excuse Yahweh's immorality make my point better than I have.