GreaseSpot Cafe

A VPW Historical Timeline

WordWolf

24 minutes ago, chockfull said:

From a biblical perspective, it's just weird.  vp taught all this stuff about administrations, but then...

...failed to rightly divide (and separate) them.

Wasn't until a relatively few short years ago (after listening to some number of teachings by an old farmer, Sunday school teacher, and layman named Les Feldick) until it finally sunk in just how many "issues" (I'll leave it at that) in the ministry stemmed from a failure to understand that the "gospel of grace" and the current spiritual economy didn't start on the day of Pentecost in Act 2.  So, while many thought (and may still think) that TWI was really into teaching and understanding and abiding by the Pauline epistles... in reality (and sadly), it falls so incredibly far short of it, that this misperception and mischaracterization of TWI's teachings (especially in conjunction with the egotism bred there)  is probably much more of a deterrent to genuinely understanding Pauline doctrine than it is anything else.  

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

My grace way of looking at things is grace is the freedom to break free from ANY conformity the past imposes upon me and moving forward with the perfect thing for writing my story with God.  

Sounds like what Paul did.  Not an easy thing to do, especially back in his day. 

Ever notice the lack of any reference to church structure in 2 Timothy?  (It's something to think about...)

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, did VPW speak German?  Did he know how to read, or write it? I think he said that he could speak German.  Just curious.:rolleyes:

I don't recall hearing any comment as to whether he could read or write German.  He DID share anecdotes where he claimed to understand spoken German.  He claimed that he was a guest of some VIP at a restaurant.  When someone brought a bottle of wine to the table, the VIP snapped "Don't try to serve me that stuff-I'm with a guest!" in German. vpw claimed he understood him because he spoke German.  So, he at least claimed he could speak German.    He grew up in an area with a significant number of German immigrants who were farmers.  He later made comments about how his family knew how to work and got their work ethic from being Germans.  That's independent of all the other things he claimed made his earthly family special.

• 4 years later...
On 11/3/2016 at 7:32 PM, TLC said:

According to your timeline, he graduated PTS before the Japs bombed PH...  which doesn't give much credibility to your speculation on motives.
(But motives can often be tough to flush out. Especially when it comes to certain relatively disciplined and/or "driven" personalities.) 

twi didn't list the precise month and day that vpw entered Lakeland.  However,  it was likely no earlier than 1936, which was when Germany and Italy were aiding Generalissimo Francisco Franco in Spain.   There was talk of "a second Great War" long before it was official (and before 1936.)   If you want to avoid the draft by entering divinity school, you don't wait until war has officially begun. You register as soon as you see the smoke on the horizon.   The US OFFICIALLY declared war after the attack on Pearl Harbor-  Sunday, December 7,  1941.    We'd been aiding the Allies for years before-  sending trucks to the USSR and lots of freighters to the UK in lend-lease.  Some citizens were even volunteers who joined the armies of the other Allied nations, long before 1941.  

I don't think that was his ENTIRE reason.  He'd mentioned before that he'd considered careers in music, business and ministry.  While he was considering these, rumors of an upcoming war began surfacing.   ONE of those careers would render him ineligible for the draft automatically.  Do you really think it's a coincidence he went with that one?   I don't.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

. . .  If you want to avoid the draft by entering divinity school, you don't wait until war has officially begun. You register as soon as you see the smoke on the horizon.  

I don't think that was his ENTIRE reason.  He'd mentioned before that he'd considered careers in music, business and ministry.  While he was considering these, rumors of an upcoming war began surfacing.   ONE of those careers would render him ineligible for the draft automatically.  Do you really think it's a coincidence he went with that one?   I don't.                     

Death anxiety.

LCM ranted about fear.  The fear of death being the denominator of all fear.  Not dying being THE LIE or something of the sort. . . He was mocking ways in which people soothe this awareness?

Acceptance of death drives many to act.  To do something meaningful with their time.  Others numb the thoughts away.

The NPD fears death more than most.  The loss of control.  Acceptance is not possible for them. . . .  Their false self is too fragile . . . Staying at the mercy of the draft would put someone on the level of everyone else . . . Also not acceptable.