GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot chat is now expired

GarthP2000

At 8:24 pm this evening, the Greasespot Cafe chatroom, hosted by Beseen, has gone off the air.

We have really enjoyed the chatroom, which has been home to many a fun chat, discussion, heated debates, messy food fights, and *good* time had by *good* friends.

Rest well, Greasespot Cafe Chat Room, you shall surely be missed.

((Close with bagpipes playing "Amazing Grace"))

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

This is a sad day for me. I loved the chatroom,

the great morning chats with Chas and Catcup, Shell, Cathy, Tcat and Matilda, maure and Ttessa.....THEY WERE AWESOME. The evening gatherings, the middle of the night heart sharings, the ridiculus fun.....who out there remembers that infamous late nite CYBER DANCE with Paw playing dj?

When Waydale Chat opened, and a few months later When the first lawsuit was filed...we were deluged with literally HUNDREDS of first time chatters, innies dying for information to help them make decisions, outies from every generation of twi looking for a place to connect with other ex Wayfers. The trolls, the lunatics and of course.....the ever present WAYGB.

The Waydale Chatroom, and then the Greasespot Chatroom was the place that I received some of the greatest healing and deliverance of my life. The fellowship there was invaluable to me and I want to thank each and everyone of you that helped me along my way.

I too, have really enjoyed and benefitted from the chatroom. It's not gone an hour and I miss it already.

Now, I can't see how to get there. I have a yahoo account, I get to where there are all kinds of chatrooms, but nowhere that I see how to get to put in a name of one I want to join.

Would someone who knows kindly and s-l-o-w-l-y type the steps to get from the chat icon to the greasespotcafe chat room that Garth built (or whatever you did, I just liked the sound of that in my head).

I'd sure appreciate it!

Radar...

I agree. The chat room can be a really great place just to hang out and well...chat

I sincerely hope that either this Yahoo Chat works out or Paw finds something even better.

See you all there!

PS to Bowtwi...

I had the same problem trying to figure out WHERE to type in this /join greasespotcafe

You type it in the dialog box of the first chat room you are sent to press SEND And POOF!! there you are.

Hope that helps.

You said it, Radar! I really enjoyed having the chat room to go to. I didn't care for the fights (except the food fights!! LOL!), but there were some real sweet times.

I REALLY hope there will be some chat room alternative soon -- those that have been set up are okay, but the ones that are Instant messaging type, where people would have to give out their ICQ # or buddy name to anyone and everyone isn't really gonna work. What about the people who only pop in once a month or so -- how would they be able to find the chat location? The yahoo room is always empty. Siiiiiiigh, what'r we gonna do????

I looked up "chatroom servers" on search and it gave a listing of "ASP" chat capabilities. I'm not sure what that means. There HAS to be some other chatroom out there that isn't as confusing to get into as yahoo, or isn't IM based.

Paw, can you help us?? I'm one of those who frequents the chatroom a whole lot more than the forums--different strokes ya know? If the only one that can be found is one that costs something, I would gladly contribute.

I want a place like Cheers, ya know, where everybody knows your name? ("Cybercheers?" LOL!)

The chat room gave me the chance to meet some very wonderful people.

I was better able to understand a different side of some of the people who post on the forums.

In the chat room I have seen some angry exchanges, some very sick imposters of one lady who hasn't posted here for a while nor have I seen her in the chat room. But, mostely I have seen people enjoying chatting with friends. I have seen friendships develope. The chat room was also a healing place.

I will miss the GS chat

There is an alternative to yahoo...but I'm not sure it's doable.

Mirc is a chat server. It requires a download and installation...then you can go into any number of chatrooms, including a gs one. (I tried it, it worked)

The downside is the download and installation for those who are not quite comfortable with puters. Also, like yahoo...ya can't lurk.

Private chats are available, as well as a few actions...but it isn't as "fun" as the yahoo chat toys.

So looks like yahoo is the best available for now

heart.gif

lips.gif

smile.gif

rose.gif

(I copied all of them you guys...)

I will miss the colors and the icons and the /a and the /w

Warts and all, ISE storms and room farts - BeSeen was a good set-up...

I'm glad we're going to be together on Yahoo - but I sure wish I could lurk!

Hope R. color>size>face>

And as of 8:30 a.m. EDT - it's still there.

I looked for the message that said BeSeen was closing the chat rooms down and couldn't find it on their site.

Anyone have a clue as to what's happening. It sure would be nice if it stayed up and running.

Hope R. color>size>face>

quote:
Due to the high cost of offering this free service, we regret that we will shortly be shutting down BeSeen.com and BeSeen services on August 26th, 2002. -- The BeSeen Team

Think they're just messing with our heads?

Hope R. color>size>face>

Well, so much for my carefully crafted eulogy.

Next time, I'll just say, "He's dead, Jim!" and let it go at that.

Meanwhile, chat on, dudes and dudettes!

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

Thanks, Martha! It took me about six tries typing

/ joingreasespotcafe

before it let me in, but I got there! It was a blast - such a rapidly moving room and so many options to play with!

I've been in there 3 times this morning and was alone - now I see the beseen room is open, so much easier to get to!

Either way, I love the Greasespotcafe.

I too, would be happy to pay for the beseen service if only...

• 1 month later...