GreaseSpot Cafe

Implicit bias... seems obvious in TWI

Rocky

Jessica Nordell's book was published in September 2021. It does not, in its index, have an entry for "cult," or "sect," or "religion." But while reading the introduction and first chapter I could not help but recognize TWI, Wierwille and Loy Martindale as it defined bias that operates independently of and often controls a person's decisions without the person even recognizing or realizing it has done so.

IOW, implicit bias usually happens when we are on auto-pilot.

Ever realised you have driven yourself home but haven’t really been paying attention? Brain scans have revealed that when your mind wanders, it switches into “autopilot” mode, enabling you to carry on doing tasks quickly, accurately and without conscious thought.

Our autopilot mode seems to be run by a set of brain structures called the default mode network (DMN). It was discovered in the 1990s, when researchers noticed that people lying in brain scanners show patterns of brain activity even when they aren’t really doing anything. This research provided the first evidence that our brains are active even when we aren’t consciously putting our minds to work.

Years ago... well, I'll digress (instead) :love3:

Have you ever wondered about Wierwille being so locked in on things like The Thirteenth Tribe? Even though it had nothing overtly to do with biblical research and teaching? Or the Myth of the Six Million? Or about Loy's obsession with and hatred of LGBTQ+ people?

Of course TWI's implicit bias toward gays didn't start with Loy. And it took me YEARS of mindfulness to suppress and hopefully eradicate that implicit bias in my own mind.

The End of Bias (by journalist Jessica Nordell) is a transformative, groundbreaking exploration into how we can eradicate unintentional bias and discrimination, the great challenge of our age.

Implicit bias: persistent, unintentional prejudiced behavior that clashes with our consciously held beliefs. We know that it exists, to corrosive and even lethal effect. We see it in medicine, we see it in finance, and as we know from the police killings of so many Black Americans, bias can be deadly. But are we able to step beyond recognition of our prejudice to actually change it?

With fifteen years' immersion in the topic, Jessica Nordell digs deep into the cognitive science, social psychology, and developmental research that underpin current efforts to eradicate unintentional bias and discrimination. She examines diversity training, deployed across the land as a corrective but with inconsistent results. She explores what works and why: the diagnostic checklist used by doctors at Johns Hopkins Hospital that eliminated disparate treatment of men and women in disease prevention; the preschool in Sweden where teachers found ingenious ways to uproot gender stereotyping: the police unit in Oregon where the practice of mindfulness and specialized training has coincided with a startling drop in the use of force.

The End of Bias: A Beginning brings good news: Biased behavior can change; the approaches outlined here can transform ourselves and our world.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Have you ever wondered about Wierwille being so locked in on things like The Thirteenth Tribe? Even though it had nothing overtly to do with biblical research and teaching? Or the Myth of the Six Million? Or about Loy's obsession with and hatred of LGBTQ+ people?

Of course TWI's implicit bias toward gays didn't start with Loy. And it took me YEARS of mindfulness to suppress and hopefully eradicate that implicit bias in my own mind.

Thanks, Rocky. I was expecting something like this from you.

I have wondered. It seems to me victor and Loy exhibited explicit bias against, well, everything true. The youth trained up and taught up as to how (H-O-W) unknowingly developed implicit bias aligned with Vic's malignant explicit bias.

My father-in-law, who revered vic because his brother was Corps, openly acknowledged his bias. Not in a free and truthful way, but with diligent effort to only read material that confirmed four crucified, a flat earth, T7MOG, and the myth of the myth of six million. He only watched one "news" channel. He could see his bias, but he BELEEEVED his bias was accurate, correct. He smugly championed his bias. And he felt justified because of what he BELEEEVED about the 1942 promise and T7TMOG. A nice man, but blind. 

To be aware. To be divinely, sublimely aware. Impossible while clinging to bias.

Can we simply pay attention to our bias? Can we observe ourselves freely? Can we know ourselves? Truly. Can we truly, completely know ourselves? 

Find out. 

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Can we simply pay attention to our bias? Can we observe ourselves freely? Can we know ourselves? Truly. Can we truly, completely know ourselves? 

Find out. 

Something something about the unexamined life. :wink2:

This goes back, for me, to M Scott Peck's books from the 1980s and 90s. The Road Less Traveled was about a person becoming aware of what his/her attitudes and beliefs are. There has been much research by social psychologists since then. Thankfully.

28 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Something something about the unexamined life. :wink2:

This goes back, for me, to M Scott Peck's books from the 1980s and 90s. The Road Less Traveled was about a person becoming aware of what his/her attitudes and beliefs are. There has been much research by social psychologists since then. Thankfully.

As you know, it goes back millennia to Ancient Greece.

39 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Something something about the unexamined life:wink2:

Let me clarify, please. Those are two separate thoughts. "This" as I wrote it was about when I first learned about the idea of examining my life, it was from Peck's writing.

Does Nordell get into Critical Race Theory? Isn't implicit bias foundational to the theory?

My beloved sister-in-law, who self identifies as "progressive liberal," explained that our implicit racial bias is something we are born with. (Or born into?) She tried to tell me I was born racist because I was born a white, middle class, American male. This immediately triggered a trauma response rooted in the cult telling me I was born in sin and I don't deserve grace so I should be thankful to T7TMOG for teaching me.

I reject as not only false, but evil, the claim that anyone is BORN with implicit bias or born in sin. Guilty before you can utter your first word? No way! Get thee hence! This notion of being born in sin (or with implicit bias) is about control. It's a gaslighting guilt trip ploy. It's wicked. But it's necessary leverage for both the religious and political cult.

4 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Does Nordell get into Critical Race Theory? Isn't implicit bias foundational to the theory?

Not at all. CRT is explicit. 

However, she does deal extensively with racial and other biases.

The theory of implicit bias as opposed to actually holding chosen prejudices is that implicit bias is the result of culture.

Psychologists have developed test instruments to help people recognize whether/if they hold particular implicit biases.

If your SIL has studied the issue, she may have either meant that you were born into a culture in which it's difficult to not internalize implicit racial bias. Then again, she may not have studied it. In essence, if she actually said/believes/d you're racist because of how you were born, that's a short cut and not in line with current scientific understanding of how we internalize implicit bias.

My mother, rest her soul, over the last couple of decades of her life associated with Blacks and I believe overcame some or all of that bias, but still held implicit bias against Hispanics. From my youth and her much younger adulthood (in upstate NY, and her upbringing in Northern Arkansas), would make racist jokes about blacks.

I may have mentioned this on GSC before, but my first real exposure to diversity was USAF basic training and beyond. I did encounter an integrated 8th grade situation but my interactions weren't as friends or close associates. Basic training was in the summer of 1974. Later, I worked with diverse populations in Arizona state government. I had Black men and white women supervisors. None of that bothered me.

But I've caught my self having some implicit bias toward Blacks. Because I can be mindful about it, new habits can get built in my gray matter. 

34 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Not at all. CRT is explicit. 

However, she does deal extensively with racial and other biases.

The theory of implicit bias as opposed to actually holding chosen prejudices is that implicit bias is the result of culture.

Psychologists have developed test instruments to help people recognize whether/if they hold particular implicit biases.

If your SIL has studied the issue, she may have either meant that you were born into a culture in which it's difficult to not internalize implicit racial bias. Then again, she may not have studied it. In essence, if she actually said/believes/d you're racist because of how you were born, that's a short cut and not in line with current scientific understanding of how we internalize implicit bias.

My mother, rest her soul, over the last couple of decades of her life associated with Blacks and I believe overcame some or all of that bias, but still held implicit bias against Hispanics. From my youth and her much younger adulthood (in upstate NY, and her upbringing in Northern Arkansas), would make racist jokes about blacks.

I may have mentioned this on GSC before, but my first real exposure to diversity was USAF basic training and beyond. I did encounter an integrated 8th grade situation but my interactions weren't as friends or close associates. Basic training was in the summer of 1974. Later, I worked with diverse populations in Arizona state government. I had Black men and white women supervisors. None of that bothered me.

But I've caught my self having some implicit bias toward Blacks. Because I can be mindful about it, new habits can get built in my gray matter. 

I understand how implicit bias is influenced by culture. I get it. I don't think my SIL studied CRT, she was likely regurgitating something she heard, but missed the nuance and complexity in her rush to sound smart, as a dilettante would.

Though she said I was born racist, CRT may say, I was born into a racist culture and I can't avoid developing implicit racist bias? Ok. Wow. That's a very fine distinction without much difference! But I'm not denying implicit bias. I'm denying being born biased or born sinful. These are not natural states, they are conditioned states.

Implicit bias is part of our conditioning, programming, indoctrination. We aren't even aware of it. It's socio-cultural conditioning. It's subtle. Like cult indoctrination. Us vs. them evolves or us vs. the empties....bias against everyone while preaching agape.....the cult(ure)....it's reflexive.

yes

10 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Implicit bias is part of our conditioning, programming, indoctrination. We aren't even aware of it. It's socio-cultural conditioning. It's subtle. Like cult indoctrination. Us vs. them evolves or us vs. the empties....bias against everyone while preaching agape.....the cult(ure)....it's reflexive.

A Sociology teacher of mine liked to mention the lyrics of a song, when speaking about bias.  He pointed out that people LEARN their values, and are TAUGHT their values.

https://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/rodgers_and_hammerstein/youve_got_to_be_carefully_taught.html

"You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!"

===================================

For high school, I went to the Bronx HS of Science.  I found that a good place to address racism.  When everyone in your class is above-average, and you have a variety of ethnicities represented in every classroom, the idea of some "race" being better or worse is easy to discard.      

BTW, it's not that Asians are automatically better at math, it's that many are "carefully taught" to push for higher and perfect grades in math and hard sciences, so that a kid making a normal mistake may freak out about it because the family's pushed for a perfect score. 

So, when you're shoulder-to-shoulder with a roomful of skllled people, their skin color can quickly become the least valuable piece of information. 

• Upvote 1

Neither I nor my siblings had any "race consciousness."    It wasn't an issue, because our community was all white. It just was.  Back in those days.

My brother moved to South Africa.  The "blacks" working in the factory where he was a skilled fitter and turner were horrified that he should clear up his swarf and waste.  They faced losing their jobs if a white man had to clear up.  My bro also refused to employ a "maid" to clean his apartment.  He was used to cleaning up his flat.  But that "just wasn't done."  Eventually, he employed a maid (she didn't do anything worthwhile.)  He hated the patronising aspect of it.

I moved to another area and met a black guy. Just friends, walking home together after night classes to improve our lot in life.  Was invited to a party.  When I entered the room, all eyes turned to look at me.  Not hostile, just - curious.  Then, they all carried on dancing or whatever they were doing.  I was the only white person there.  Abject lesson to me.  How hard it must be for a non-white to engage in "white" communities.  I was 18 years old and have never forgotten that odd feeling, half a century on.

Even so, it's easy to get caught up in cultural bias.  

I don't want to live in a world where people are more valued for the colour of their skin than for the quality of their lives.  I will like, or dislike, people according to who they are, not according to their skin, eye, or hair colour, or their ethnic background.

• Like 1