GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Ok, for me, one of the most interesting things that ever happened at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade happened one year while I was watching it live.  There was a parade float for "Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends."  The float paused to play/have the characters sing Harry Nilsson's song "Best Friend."  Shortly into the song, a surprise musical guest (not known for this song) exited the float and began singing.

Who was he?

Ok, for me, one of the most interesting things that ever happened at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade happened one year while I was watching it live.  There was a parade float for "Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends."  The float paused to play/have the characters sing Harry Nilsson's song "Best Friend."  Shortly into the song, a surprise musical guest (not known for this song) exited the float. This song ended, and he immediately began singing a song of his own, for which he is known (complete with musical accompaniment.)

Who was he?

You know, Madonna is something of an actress herself. She starred opposite Willem Dafoe in the godawful movie Body of Evidence.

She was also in Dick Tracy, A League of Their Own, Evita and her own documentary, Truth or Dare. It's in that last film that she made a career blunder, poking fun at an actor/director who would later have control over whether she got a certain part in an upcoming movie.

The blunder? After the actor/director appeared in her documentary, Madonna turned away from him and made a finger-in-mouth gagging gesture, making it look like the actor/director made her sick.

He remembered. Someone else got the part Madonna wanted. And the movie produced the best selling soundtrack of all time.

Name the actor/director. Name the movie. And name the actress who got the part.

Cool.  I didn't realize that the soundtrack was the best-selling of all time, but I remember that it was pretty big.

Here are the given names of some famous movie stars.  Give me the stage names of three of them to win the round.

Maurice Micklewhite

Archibald Leach

Neta-Lee Hershlag

Mark Sinclair

Krishna Pandit Bhanji

Michael Douglas (obviously, this is NOT Kirk Douglas's son)

Caryn Elaine Johnson

Dana Elaine Owens

Eric Marlon Bishop

Issur Danielovitch

George

19 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Archibald Leach, Michael Douglas,  Caryn Elaine Johnson.

I'll come back later today with their names if nobody rushes in first.

Almost confused the first one with John Wayne.

Archibald Leach is Cary Grant.  Michael Douglas discovered there was already a Michael Douglas so he called himself Michael Keaton.   Caryn Johnson is Whoopi Goldberg.

I'm going to give it to Human.  He had three correct names, even though he didn't say which given names went with which stage names.  (WW's answers were all correct, too.)  The complete list:

Maurice Micklewhite -- Michael Caine

Archibald Leach -- Cary Grant

Neta-Lee Hershlag -- Natalie Portman

Mark Sinclair -- Vin Diesel

Krishna Pandit Bhanji -- Ben Kingsley

Michael Douglas (obviously, this is NOT Kirk Douglas's son) -- Michael Keaton

Caryn Elaine Johnson -- Whoopi Goldberg

Dana Elaine Owens -- Queen Latifah

Eric Marlon Bishop -- Jamie Foxx

Issur Danielovitch  -- Kirk Douglas

George

On 4/20/2023 at 6:21 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm going to give it to Human.  He had three correct names, even though he didn't say which given names went with which stage names. 

My lawyer who deals in contract law had a look at this George and, he agreed that all that was required were to give the stage names.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:20 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Give me the stage names of three of them to win the round.

So that's what I did. Anyway, I was just being funny.  Ha Ha.  And my guess about Michael Douglas was partially a guess but I had heard somewhere about his name being the same as Kirk son's so I thought I might get it right.   I have something and I will post it very soon.  (and post to some other threads as well).

Whatever your age you probably have heard of the rock band The Eagles.  The Eagles formed out of being the back-up musicians for Linda Ronstadt in the early 1970's.  They are one of the world's best selling bands having sold over 200 million albums.  Their Greatest Hits album is one of the top selling albums of all-time.

Of their greatest hits, one of them was a song that Jackson Brown wrote, a song for which Brown sued for unpaid royalties and won.  Glenn Frey added just two lines of lyrics including the arrangement, which according to Jackson Brown himself "was far superior to what I had written" and therefore with Brown's consent co-writing authorship, and The Eagles recorded it.   What was the name of the song?

Edited by Human without the bean

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Taking a wild swing here...  "ONE OF THESE NIGHTS"????

No, that's not the one.  I'll give you a hint.  Of the greatest hits collection (1971-1975) there were four songs ( I just read that, I think that's right) that made it to number one.  "One of These Nights" was a number one, but the song in question, I think only peaked at number 12.  Anyway, back when Don Henley and Glenn Frey were just doing cover songs, Glenn happened to hear in his apartment below him, someone who played piano and they would play the song over and over and over again until they got it right, then, continue to add to it, and go over the same process again.  That neighbor, was Jackson Browne and they became acquainted.  That's when Glenn Frye asked him what that song was he was playing, but Jackson told him it wasn't finished yet.  After repeatedly trying to get Jackson to finish it, Jackson Browne  brought it to him, or played it to him and told him he was stuck on a certain line.  That's when Glenn added two other lines of lyrics that made the whole song come together.

6 hours ago, Raf said:

On THAT, I'll go with Hotel California

Sorry Raf, but Hotel California came out in 1976 after the release of Eagles Greatest Hits with songs from 1972 to 1975.  So no, not the one, although, when I mentioned it's their signature song for me even, I would consider that their signature song.  But I think ~The Eagles~ consider the song in the clue as their signature song as well as many fans, especially ones that followed them from the beginning of their making.

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

If all I have to go on is "It's the Eagles' signature song", then I'm going with "Hotel California", also.

You had Raf's previous post to go on, and so no, Hotel California came out after ~The Eagles~ Greatest Hits  (1972-1975)  Did you get that memo? 

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I guess we can just scroll through Eagles' hits.

One of These Nights (?)

George

Did you get the memo?   WordWolf already used that one. So no.

Look let's clear this up then.  When I was a younger, much younger man, my friends were all pretty much into music and smokin' bud.  We would get the latest or newest album and listen to them. I'll give them credit for also having incredible taste in sound systems that pulled me into how to listen to great music. 

Cosmo's  Factory comes to mind.  "Abbraxis", " "Imagine", "L A Woman", ~The Grateful Dead's" "Workingmans Dead", "~Neil Young's~ "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" was pretty popular at this time.  But one of my more mellower friends had bought ~The Eagles~ first album "The Eagles" self titled album and a few of us went over to listen to it.  When that first track came on, whatever your taste in music was at the time, you just knew that their was something special about the new group calling themselves ~The Eagles~.  So I would consider it to be their signature song, and probably most other fans, critics and even Glenn Frye (if he were alive) would probably consider THIS CLUE to be their signature song. 

On 4/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, Human without the bean said:

When that first track came on, whatever your taste in music was at the time, you just knew that their was something special about the new group calling themselves ~The Eagles~. 

So it's the first track on their debut album.