GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

21 hours ago, oldiesman said:

I remember many years ago there was a thread that allowed someone to write a phrase from a film and someone guessed what the film's name was.   Can that be done here?

That's the "Name that Flick" thread, and that's done by the person whose turn it is, unless it's currently open to a FREE POST, which means anyone can take the turn.   The first few posts on a thread say what the thread's about.  This one is for general trivia but NOT quotes.

18 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

There were several Star Wars characters in full costume.

Chewbacca?

George

In have trouble remembering any scene in any Star Wars movie (comic book, novel, cartoon...) where Chewbacca used any kind of sword.   Seriously, what would be the sense in putting "HOLLYWOOD'S FENCING INSTRUCTOR" in a Chewbacca suit?   

In other words, seriously NO, not Chewbacca.  If there was an expert that taught Hollywood to use a crossbow or something, maybe he would wear the furry outfit.

15 hours ago, Raf said:

ok so he was Vader

Freaking YES!

In TESB and RotJ,  during Vader's duels, Bob A was often the man in the Vader suit. They changed camera angles to hide that he was shorter than Prowse.   Mark Hamill took lessons from Bob A and mentioned that Bob was Vader during the duels.  He also said he wished they could have come up with an over-the-head Hamill mask for someone to wear, but that wouldn't work.

For the curious, we got something like that for Christopher Lee in RotS.  In the acrobatic moments, that wasn't CL jumping around at his age.  That was his stunt double, and post-production swapped their heads so it looked like CL did the flips.  Personally, I'd wished they'd have slimmed CL down as well, as Jedi and Sith can control their bodies and wouldn't have a need to be overweight.  (CL was a lardbucket but could stand to lose a few pounds, and the Dooku outfit showed it in a way Saruman's robes did not.)

On 6/11/2023 at 3:07 AM, WordWolf said:

"The man who taught Hollywood to fence" was swordmaster BOB ANDERSON.  

So at which Olympics did this guy win his gold medal?

Edited by Human without the bean

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

So at which Olympics did this guy win his gold medal?

*checks* 

I was either misinformed or I misunderstood.  Bob Anderson was indeed an Olympic fencer, but he did not win the Gold. He participated in the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Finland, where he represented Great Britain.   He participated in Men's Sabre, and Men's Team Sabre.  In Men's Team Sabre, he finished tied for fifth, according to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_(fencer)#Biography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_1952_Summer_Olympics#Fencing

He also fenced in 2 World Championships.  Somewhere along the line, I or someone else got confused and thought he'd WON at the Olympics.

Ok, Raf seems to be busy.   In the meantime, this question is NOT impossible to answer, and you'll understand once someone posts the right answer.

Fencer Bob Anderson was indeed the sword master for many of Hollywood's movies, including the original Star Wars trilogy.  He was NOT, however, the sword master for the Star Wars PREQUEL trilogy (Episodes 1-3.)  That job was done by a different fencer.

As it turns out, he was ALSO on camera but hard to identify.  In Episode 3, when security camera footage was reviewed, Darth Vader was seen fighting three-on-one, then one-on-one with a Jedi and cutting him down.  That was Jedi Master Cin Drallig he killed last.   That actor, onscreen only that bit, was the stunt coordinator for that trilogy as well, and has worked on a number of movies, with and without sword techniques (usually with).  

So, without looking him up, what's the actor's name?  Who played Jedi Battlemaster Cin Drallig?

3 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I got nothing, but I'm thinking about going to Barnes and Noble to buy me the "Star Wars Encyclopedia" of trivia just to keep up with you Star Wars Universe people.

I guarantee you that you don't have to go that far to get this one, nor to have actually seen him in the movie, for that matter.

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No idea.

George

Stop thinking "How would I remember the names of everyone in the cast?" (he was uncredited anyway), and start thinking "He wouldn't ask this question if I couldn't answer it.  What about the question am I overlooking that would lead me to answer this correctly?"   You can get this without knowing ANY Star Wars trivia.

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

And who is Nick Gillard?

George

Did you walk in late or something?  Nick Gillard was the stunt coordinator for the Star Wars prequels, and was the sword master for those movies.  He appeared briefly in the 3rd movie.

6 hours ago, Raf said:

Oh! Wait! I got it!

I think I do, anyway.

Cin Drallig was played by...

Nick Gillard! !dralliG ciN

A missing k notwithstanding.

That's it.

Anybody here who looked closely enough at the character name might have figured out it spelled out a real name when written backwards.   They dropped the final letter from "Nick" and otherwise just used his name reversed.   Nobody had to know ANY Star Wars trivia to answer it. 

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Did you walk in late or something?  Nick Gillard was the stunt coordinator for the Star Wars prequels, and was the sword master for those movies.  He appeared briefly in the 3rd movie.

This may be hard to believe, but I actually HAVEN'T memorized the stunt coordinator for every movie I've seen.  For all I knew, Nick Gillard could have been the third baseman for the 1947 Yankees.

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This may be hard to believe, but I actually HAVEN'T memorized the stunt coordinator for every movie I've seen.  For all I knew, Nick Gillard could have been the third baseman for the 1947 Yankees.

George

A few posts back, on this same page, was the question.  Who was the stunt coordinator and sword master for the SW prequel trilogy, who played Cin Drallig.... etc.      Then, the answer is Nick Gillard.   

That was correct, which means that's who Nick Gillard is.   I didn't expect you to memorize anything, but scrolling up was always an option if you forgot the current question.

At the Academy Awards for 1982, the actor who played Billy Kwan in The Year of Living Dangerously was nominated and won.

What was unusual about this nomination and victory? Hint: The actor was not Asian, but that's not it.