GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Reminds me of the show-stopper "Molasses to Rum" in the musical "1776."  Edward Rutledge points out the hypocrisy of the northern states in railing against slavery when the North was using slaves as part of a trade cycle with the South and Europe.

New one shortly.

George

The Triangular Trade referred to the stops in Africa, the West Indies, and the future US colonies to get rum, and "Molasses to Rum to Slaves" is the full name of the song.  I thought about all this the last time I watched the movie of the musical. (Last year- I haven't sat down to watch it this year yet.)

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

What is the largest bone in the human body, and what is the smallest?  (Common names or Latin names accepted)

George

2 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Femur or thigh bone is the largest and stapes in the inner ear is the smallest.

It's common knowledge and I'm more than certain of my answer.  I'm going.

The Martin Scorsese directed film "Gangs of New York",  starring actors include Daniel Day Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz and John C. Reilly, garnered  10 Academy Award nominations.   How many did it win?

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

We should get it in eleven guesses.  :biglaugh:

I'll start with ZERO.

George

We going to need more guesses, not really, yes, zero awards.  Most critics and fans found it hard to believe that "Gangs of New York" flopped at the Academy Awards.  It however, didn't do too badly at the box office bringing in $193,772,504 against a budget of $97 million.

Your up George.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

No.  It actually has nothing to do with food.

You probably have some of these in a closet.

George

All I have in my closet George is cat litter.  I keep my cat's litter boxes in there.  Does it have anything to do with cat litter?

Edited by Human without the bean

I'm going to flip all the cards.  No one seems to be getting any closer.

SHOES

Shoe sizes differ by barleycorns.  A size 12 is 12 inches.  A size 11 is a barleycorn shorter, i.e., 11-2/3 inches.  A size 10 is 11-1/3 inches, etc.  (These are US measurements.  Europeans size shoes differently.)

FREE POST

George

Alright, here's something that I don't believe has ever come up, however if it has it didn't come up when I searched for it.

Sir Elton Hercules John, better know as Elton John has been playing rock n' roll for over 60 years.  Before  Elton met up with lyricist Bernie Taupin and made it big,  he had a band.  What was the name of his first band?

Okay.  Elton John's first group was called "Bluesology".

Here's another one.   Name anyone of these musicians by their stage names by giving their real names and win the round.  

Richard Melville Hall    Michael Peter Balzary   Alicia Beth Moore    David Howell Evans 

You are both correct.  That's an interesting tidbit about Richard Melville Hall or Moby.  Michael Peter Balzary is Flea from The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  David Howell Evans is The Edge of U2.

Edited by Human without the bean

Not a lot of people win Emmy Awards for playing the same character on two different shows. In fact, it's only been done three times. Ed Asner did it for The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Lou Grant. Jackie Gleason did it for the Jackie Gleason Show and The Honeymooners.

And this one other guy... the only Black performer to accomplish this achievement.

Good guess. No. Wrong franchise.

Like Ed Asner and Sherman Hemsley, this actor played a supporting role in the parent series and the main role in the spinoff.

His character did not have a last name in the parent series (and it was implied that the name we knew him by WAS his surname). But in the spinoff it was revealed he had a different last name.

Unlike Good Times and Family Matters, there are explicit connections between the spinoff series and the parent series. Not many, but enough (including a major guest appearance in the spinoff by one of the main characters in the parent series).

Two actors in the spinoff series became regular characters on Star Trek series.

Edited by Raf