GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

I'm going to give it to you.  The names were Goofy Grape, Rootin'-Tootin' Raspberry, Loudmouth Lime, Injun Orange, and Chinese Cherry.  The last two were changed to Jolly Ollie Orange and Choo-Choo Cherry.  Additional flavors were added later, including Lefty Lemon (later called Lefty Lemon-Lime and Lefty Lemonade), Captain Black Cherry, Chilly Cherry Cola, Loud-Mouth Punch (who was a re-working of the Loud-Mouth Lime character), Pistol Pink Lemonade, Rah! Rah! Root Beer, Rudy Tutti-Frutti, Tart Lil' Imitation Lemonade, Tart 'N' Tangy Lemon, Tart n' Tangy Orange, and With-It Watermelon.

George

Answer any of these to take the round.

1.  How many Oscars did the 1978 movie "The Deer Hunter" win?

2.  Who was the first left handed golfer to win The Masters, a major golf championship?

3.  In which year did the U. S. national debt exceed $ 1 trillion dollars for the first time?

I want to amend this.  Let's say then, only one answer at a time okay?

Edited by Human without the bean
stipulations made

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

#2  Phil Mickelson?

George

No.

I need to revise the question.  It doesn't change the outcome.  It should ask "Who was the first left handed golfer to win a Major Golf Championship"?  It's still the same guy for the answer but he just didn't win The Masters first.  It was the British Open Championship.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Then let's try 1984.

George

Let me give it to you George since you were the only one interested (I know golf, the Oscars) what was I thinking?

The year was 1982 when the U S exceeded a trillion dollars in debt, in 1981 the national debt was 998,000,000.  Anyway, your go if you have anything.  Oh, "The Deer Hunter" won 5 Oscar, Best Picture, Christopher Walken for Best Supporting among others, and a relatively unknown actress at the time received her first acting nomination, Meryl Streep.    The first left handed golfer to win a major golf championship was Kiwi Bob Charles in 1963.

Edited by Human without the bean

No, this was an earlier, National League pitcher.  Interestingly, one of his teammates, a few years later, threw a no-hitter and then eight no-hit innings in back-to-back starts, but lost the second no-hitter in the ninth inning.

The pitcher had some good years and some bad.  Four All-Star appearances and one World Series, but only a 119-121 won-lost record overall.  He was one of only six NL pitchers to lead the league in strikeouts three years in a row.  He is in his team's Hall of Fame, but not the MLB Hall of Fame.

He is really only remembered for the back-to-back no-hitters.

George

3 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It was Johnny Vander Meer

Of course it goes without saying, I never heard of him before, or the fact that he pitched back to back no hitters.  Good trivia question George.