GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

A famous writer explained the difference between three different things in books or movies- terror, horror, and the gross-out.  He claimed he went for terror, and if he missed it, he went for horror. However, he wasn't proud- if he couldn't manage either, he would go for the gross-out.

Which writer was this?

Sorry.

Okay, this is more of a puzzle than a trivia question, but let's see if any of you can figure it out.

You have 100 doors, marked 1 to 100, all closed.  You make 100 passes.

On the first pass, you open every door.

On the second pass, you close every second door.

On the third pass, you change the position of every third door.  (Note that after the second pass, door 3 is still open, so you close it, but door 6 is closed, so you open it.  Etc.)

For every Nth pass, you change the position of every Nth door.

At the end of 100 passes, which doors are open?

Obviously, you could "brute force" the answer by going through all 100 iterations, but there's a mathematical feature that makes it much easier.

George

Here's a clue.  A door will flip positions whenever N is a factor of the door number (including 1 and the number itself).  For example, door 24 starts closed, and flips on passes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, and 24, therefore finishing closed.  

Another clue: 1 finishes open as it only changes position once.

George

A little more help.  If no one still gets it, I'll move on.

Most numbers (like 24, in the example above) have an even number of factors.  Any number with an even number of factors will wind up closed.  Only numbers with an odd number of factors will end up open.  From 1 to 100, which numbers are they?

George

His name was Michael Joseph Blassie.

He was identified through DNA Testing in 1998.

Before then, we did not know who he was, so he was interred elsewhere.

He was moved to his final resting place after he was identified.

Where was he interred before that?

1 hour ago, Human without the bean said:

Too bad that the O's in accommodate weren't together.  So are both consonants and vowels are allowed George?  Somehow I got it in my head that you were looking for only consonants.

There obviously can't be six consonants in a row, so at least two must be vowels.  Note that the example I gave of TWO connected pairs was baLLOOn.

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

I can't think of one, but I bet my bookkeeper can.

And WW has given the only word I know of that fits.  Again, I don't know if there are others.

George

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

There obviously can't be six consonants in a row, so at least two must be vowels.  Note that the example I gave of TWO connected pairs was baLLOOn.

And WW has given the only word I know of that fits.  Again, I don't know if there are others.

George

I heard of this before and my recollection of it was that it might have had something to do with journalism

Okay, here's something.  I'm pretty sure that by now most people have heard of the "27 club".  It's a reference to any musicians that have passed away at the age of 27.  The roots of the club began when a series of rock n' roll musicians all died within a two year period and sparked the beginning of keeping track of the  27 club members.  But any musician of any genre could be included.  Give me the names of SEVEN member musicians who are in the club.  Any style of music applies.  For the most part, many of these members were (and still are) rock legends.

One guideline to add, this could have literally anyone who is not so famous from the likes to the latest K-pop sensational singer or the latest greatest 'who's who' in the latest group to come on the scene, so I want to put a cap on it that applies to only members who died before 2012.

Edited by Human without the bean