GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Well, it's going to be a lot of hit and miss with me.  I know about some things in baseball.  I played it in school.  I watch it, and right now I'm getting excited about the postseason.  When it comes to statistics, not so much.  I don't believe that I can really come up with a guy that I can place playing playing baseball in the big leagues for five decades.  Johnny Bench comes to mind, I think he got hit by a lot of pitches.

Question then George.  This guy who was known for getting hit by pitches was it because of his batting stance, like he crowding the plate, or was he hit because he wasn't real liked.  I'll go with Mickey Mantle (Alex) instead of Johnny Bench.

Edited by Human without the bean

It was his batting stance.

A little bit about his career:  he didn't play continuously over the five decades.  His (post-Negro-League) career ran from the late 1940s to the mid 1960s.  As more of a publicity stunt than anything else, the owner of the team he played the most for signed him on for a few games in the 1970s and again in 1980.

He was passed up for the Hall of Fame, although he led the American League in stolen bases and triples three times, won three Gold Glove awards, and was a seven-time All-Star. He had a .298 career batting average.

George

In the vein of familiarity George, does the average American know this guy's name or is mostly a random baseball statistic?  I like baseball and baseball statistics but random is imo in a whole other league.

Okay.

It was Minnie Minoso.  Got beaned a lot, ran into the outfield wall a lot, but still managed a great career.

He essentially retired in 1964, but when Bill Veeck bought the White Sox in 1976, he brought Minoso back for three games (eight at-bats) and then again in 1980 (two games, two at-bats), making him the only player to play in the 40, 50s, 60, 70s, and 80s.

New trivia (I expect someone to get this quickly):

What is the longest word in the English language, excluding protein names?  (Names of antibodies, because each amino acid is included in the name, can easily run over 100,000 letters.)

George

If I recollect it has something like 40 some ought letters doesn't it, but for right now I've only got a 29 letter word?

floccinaucinihilipilification or another word with 34 letters supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

That's definitely not a good disease to get, but totally preventable as long as volcanologists gave you enough warning like it, put on a mask.

Here's one.

There isn't a club with members in it that I know of, wait there is actually.  That would be "The Day the Music Died".  Alright so excluding or including these famous music artists name 8 musicians who have died in airplane crashes.   Add three to the list if you include names of the members from the classic Don Mclean's song? 

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Glenn Miller

Patsy Cline

Otis Redding

Aaliyah

John Denver

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Ricky Nelson...

And I can't name anyone in Lynyrd Skynyrd, but a bunch of them. That should count.

Okay I've got to give to you.  Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines were Lynyrd Skynyrd members.  Another one on the list of 15 I have was Jim Croce.  And I suppose I would accept helicopters to answer your question George.  I don't know of any off the top of my head so, who did you have George?  Raf's up.

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Other than Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly, I can only think of one other (unless you count Sam Kinison, who was a good singer but not renowned for it).

George

Sam Kinison died in a CAR crash.  I'd heard it was a T-Bone crash, but apparently it was a head-on collision with a pickup truck driven by a 17-year old who had been drinking and had crossed the center line while trying to pass someone. (So, he drove head-on into oncoming highway traffic and rammed Sam's car.) 

BTW, some people might find Sam's last words interesting.  He was dying on the scene.  He was heard to be having an argument with nobody.  ""I don't want to die. I don't want to die."  (Pause) ""But why?" (Pause)  "Okay, okay, okay."  

Opinions on this can vary between "the eyewitness made it up or was imagining it" through "Sam was messing with someone in his final moments" and "Sam was hallucinating in his last moments like in 'rapture of the deep' "  and "Sam was communicating with someone who was there but not seen".   Arguments can be made for all of them, take your pick.

46 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

I think George was thinking of Stevie Ray Vaughn of Double Trouble.  He died in a HELICOPTER crash, not a plane crash.  (It's who I thought of, at least.)

That's right.  I remember that now.  Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a helicopter crash.

Jumping in.

Name the five original "Funny Face" drinks.  (Kool-Aid competitor, if that helps.)

Two of their names were considered too stereotypical and were changed.  You can give either the original names or the later versions.  (Note:  there were eventually a LOT of Funny Face drinks.  I'm only looking for the originals.)

George