GreaseSpot Cafe

Might this be a preventative measure to inoculate children from cults?

Rocky

2 minutes ago, waysider said:

This it in a nutshell.

But, if someone or something usurps those rights, all bets are off the table on what the outcome will be.

Really? That's all you've got? Not one thing Bolshevik has posted on this thread has been at all relevant to discussion of the question. 

Usurpation would be a political question. Not only is it off limits but do I need to count the number of times I have noted on the thread it's unrelated to the topic at hand. :wave:

Let me reiterate the question:

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

how can parents raising THEIR children inoculate THEIR OWN children from cult predation?

This is the essence of the question I intended to be the subject of this thread.

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, waysider said:

Then once you have rights, exercise them.= Be the one who's in charge.

:offtopic: Not related to providing any parent with any insight on how to prepare their own children for life while minimizing the child's vulnerability to cult predation.

I'm getting the impression waysider that you're either trolling intentionally or just don't understand the question.

22 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm getting the impression waysider that you're either trolling intentionally or just don't understand the question.

I'm not trolling. It's possible I don't understand what kind of answers you're looking for. You do your best to guide them in understanding how to think for themselves and advise them on what is and what isn't acceptable behavior. What happens next is a crap shoot. What you don't want to do is hand those responsibilities over to someone who may not share the same values as you and may tell them what to think rather than teach them how to think..

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Rocky said:

And how can parents raising their children inoculate THEIR children from cult predation?

This is the essence of the question I intended to be the subject of this thread.

Any ideas?

I think about this everyday, because it is very real for me and my son.

I challenge him. Anything he says that I discern as regurgitating the thoughts or dogma of peers, deluded adults, media, wierwillian stupidity... I ask him questions, I challenge him, I challenge the dogma, the opinions. I don't necessarily provide answers, because he gets enough "answers." The questions are what others are NOT "teaching" him.

Even if I agree with an idea he regurgitates, I ask him, "Says who? How did they come up with that? How do they know? How do YOU know? Why is the opposite false? Why? How?..." I try to challenge him to think about ideas, their source, what they mean.

He sees and hears so much of WHAT. What to believe, to think, to know. So I challenge him to think about WHY he should accept any of it. I don't always tell him outright WHAT to think, rather, I try to help him HOW to think. I try.

Occasionally, he will text me something he sees on social media. And he will simply ask, "BS?" This always warms my heart. He is 13. I always provide an answer.

I haven't yet taught him how to correctly spell beleeef, but one day I will.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I think about this everyday, because it is very real for me and my son.

I challenge him. Anything he says that I discern as regurgitating the thoughts or dogma of peers, deluded adults, media, wierwillian stupidity... I ask him questions, I challenge him, I challenge the dogma, the opinions. I don't necessarily provide answers, because he gets enough "answers." The questions are what others are NOT "teaching" him.

Even if I agree with an idea he regurgitates, I ask him, "Says who? How did they come up with that? How do they know? How do YOU know? Why is the opposite false? Why? How?..." I try to challenge him to think about ideas, their source, what they mean.

He sees and hears so much of WHAT. What to believe, to think, to know. So I challenge him to think about WHY he should accept any of it. I don't always tell him outright WHAT to think, rather, I try to help him HOW to think. I try.

Occasionally, he will text me something he sees on social media. And he will simply ask, "BS?" This always warms my heart. He is 13. I always provide an answer.

I haven't yet taught him how to correctly spell beleeef, but one day I will.

Great insight. I also hope he gets plenty of emotional validation from you so he doesn't need to seek it elsewhere. :love3:

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

You do your best to guide them in understanding how to think for themselves and advise them on what is and what isn't acceptable behavior. What happens next is a crap shoot. What you don't want to do is hand those responsibilities over to someone who may not share the same values as you and may tell them what to think rather than teach them how to think..

There's also the emotional guidance/support aspect of raising kids to give plenty of consideration to.

But thanks for clarifying what you meant. 

3 minutes ago, waysider said:

Isn't this a subset of the aforementioned?

I'm not sure what you meant by that. However, I can say your previous response:

You do your best to guide them in understanding how to think for themselves and advise them on what is and what isn't acceptable behavior. What happens next is a crap shoot. What you don't want to do is hand those responsibilities over to someone who may not share the same values as you and may tell them what to think rather than teach them how to think.

Didn't seem to address emotional issues in raising children.

I've pointed out I'm dealing with this "sense of belonging" as a teacher, as a parent, and as an employee.

This is a restructuring of society as a whole where our concept of family is under pressure to change.  Meaning a very Huxlian situation.  In that world the traditional two parent family is a cult.  So by protecting your biological kids, you're abusing them, because there are no parents in that world.

Rocky I think you are wanting some very "emotional" answer.  As if there is some feeling to invoke to solve some problem that doesn't have a well defined context.

16 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

This is a restructuring of society as a whole where our concept of family is under pressure to change.  Meaning a very Huxlian situation.  In that world the traditional two parent family is a cult.  So by protecting your biological kids, you're abusing them, because there are no parents in that world.

Maybe we've arrived at a Brave New World even earlier than we anticipated.

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

Maybe we've arrived at a Brave New World even earlier than we anticipated.

Well, no baby factories yet.

But the presuppositions to as who is raising the kids, maybe.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

I've pointed out I'm dealing with this "sense of belonging" as a teacher, as a parent, and as an employee.

Rocky I think you are wanting some very "emotional" answer.  As if there is some feeling to invoke to solve some problem that doesn't have a well defined context.

You have NO idea what I want. You've pointed out plenty of things that have no connection or relevance to this thread's topic.

Where's that darn mute button? :spy:

• 2 weeks later...

What feeds guilt and shame is a deep desire to belong, a survival issue for any social animal. The greatest underlying worry is rejection by the group.

De Waal, Frans . Mama's Last Hug: Animal Emotions and What They Tell Us about Ourselves (p. 154). W. W. Norton & Company. Kindle Edition. 

I offer the quote from Mama's Last Hug for anyone's consideration. Clearly, when I started this topic/thread, I was not clear enough to get my point across. And then there was Bolshevik who seemed to be looking for ways to obscure anyone else's points about just about everything. 

712ixz48qDL._SL1500_.jpg

Whether this will successfully inoculate anyone against getting conned, including into joining a cult, is yet to be seen. Given the marketing material surrounding this very recently published book, the authors seem to think it might. You MIGHT be able to find this book in your local public library... or to ask them to purchase it. :wave:

Also, I listened to a podcast about the subject this morning. The podcast mentions the gorilla experiment. Said experiment illustrates the power of misdirection (of attention).

The misdirection concept relates directly to the instruction during PFLAP classes to hold all questions until the end.

https://behavioralgrooves.podbean.com/e/why-we-fall-for-fraud/

Edited by Rocky

• 1 month later...