GreaseSpot Cafe

Might this be a preventative measure to inoculate children from cults?

Rocky

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

These words are mine:

You're so far removed from me that you have no idea what I would or would not have a problem with.

Therefore, the ONLY meaning the quote above can reasonably be taken to mean is the degree of projection you use. :wink2:

A cult is actively taking our kids and the title of this thread is what now?

52 minutes ago, Rocky said:

"a sense of belonging"

As I use it, it is ONLY an emotional condition precluding the need to FIND an outside entity/group to which you would feel the need to join in order to have the "sense of belonging."

We agree that it is an emotional condition, but I see it as a false sense of strength and not at all emotionally mature nor emotionally intelligent. The way I see it, a sense of belonging is a seductive illusion. it is a form of attachment that can devolve into codependency. The emotionally mature pays attention and is aware of the risk.

Take the child raised in a family loyal to the "teachings" of victor paul wierwille. Surely, it is incumbent on this family to reinforce the child's sense of belonging. The child finds strength in identifying with the distinctiveness of the family. He is strong and maturing in the word, he is told. He is IN fellowship. He feels a sense of pride rightly dividing -- this is distinctive to what his family DOES. His identification with his family is comfortable, it is safe, it is warm, it is protective, it is strengthening.

This reinforced identification with his family is not a sign of maturity or intelligence, rather, it is attachment. It is identification with something outside of himself that, though strong, is unhealthy. He is so emotionally strong, convinced, that the need to find an outside group to fulfill a desire for a sense of belonging is precluded.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

6 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

We agree that it is an emotional condition, but I see it as a false sense of strength and not at all emotionally mature nor emotionally intelligent. The way I see it, a sense of belonging is a seductive illusion. it is a form of attachment that can devolve into codependency. The emotionally mature pays attention and is aware of the risk.

Take the child raised in a family loyal to the "teachings" of victor paul wierwille. Surely, it is incumbent on this family to reinforce the child's sense of belonging. The child finds strength in identifying with the distinctiveness of the family. He is strong and maturing in the word, he is told. He is IN fellowship. He feels a sense of pride rightly dividing -- this is distinctive to what his family DOES. His identification with his family is comfortable, it is safe, it is warm, it is protective, it is strengthening.

This reinforced identification with his family is not a sign or maturity or intelligence, rather, it is attachment. It is identification with something outside of himself that, though strong, is unhealthy. He is so emotionally strong, convinced, that the need to find an outside group to fulfill a desire for a sense of belonging is precluded.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/sense-belonging/202202/the-science-behind-our-need-belong

Attachment.  Indeed.

Children are supposed to grow up leave home and build something new.  This emphasis on soft skills distances people's minds from reality.  Like they'll just easily fit into the next mold.  Struggling with something?  Someone else needs to make room for your "sense of belonging".

"While Baumeister and Leary were unable to recall why they chose the word “belong,” the more clunky “need to be accepted and belong” may be clearer, as is “the desire for social connections with both people and people in a group.”

Belonging researchers also need greater agreement on terminology, measures, and definitions to create greater clarity around the implications of their findings for schools. They also need to improve how they communicate their findings to a broader audience."

To build strong children 
reinforce their sense 
of desire for social connections with both people and people in a family
by articulating exactly what is 
distinctive about your family. They should be able to say with pride 
“Our family rightly divides the word.”

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Attachment.  Indeed.

Children are supposed to grow up leave home and build something new.  This emphasis on soft skills distances people's minds from reality.  Like they'll just easily fit into the next mold.  Struggling with something?  Someone else needs to make room for your "sense of belonging".

I hope you emerge from the crucible in which you seem entrenched very soon.

53 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I hope you emerge from the crucible in which you seem entrenched very soon.

I'll take "crucible" as a metaphor for "class struggle" . . . 

I mean, once everyone feels they belong. . . . Then what?  Will there now be a Pareto distribution of belonging many will suddenly sense?  Some are certainly going feel a greater sense than others.  Will there be a Pareto, re-distribution?

"Belonging researchers" seem to be unsure what they mean or need to mean. Moveable goalposts help to divert the attention. Verbosity further distracts.

I asked very early on, some 2K posts ago, why we feel the need to belong to anything. Similar answers were given then as now: We are social beings with an innate desire to belong. Indeed, we are social beings. But WHY do we desire to belong to a group? Why do we clutch and cling to something outside ourselves for strength? Can we participate in a group without attachment, without identifying with that group?

What do we lack? Are we lonely? Insecure? Are we uncomfortable being alone? Must relationship with another imply attachment? Is love transactional? Must we identify with a group, a family, an ideology to feel whole, secure, strong?

Can we pay attention to this? Can we look deeply at this? Are we truly aware of ourselves?

I didn't fit in with my fellowship because I didn't DESIRE anything from them. They CLAIMED I NEEDED their ideology. They saw me as weak because I wouldn't submit and BELONG to their group identity. They resented that I could be so generous, kind, tolerant, forgiving, and at peace.

My strength and identity and self worth was not dependent on my belonging to the "family" of the household of the word according to the bloody gloves of wierwille's demonstrably false private interpretations. I didn't need to be validated through belonging to their cult. I belonged to nothing, I attached to nothing. At least, I tried to pay attention to this.

Fear is not of the unknown. Fear is of losing the known, the knowledge put together by the thoughts of man. Fear, emotional immaturity, weakness motivates attachment. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr

30 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I'll take "crucible" as a metaphor for "class struggle" . . . 

I mean, once everyone feels they belong. . . . Then what?  Will there now be a Pareto distribution of belonging many will suddenly sense?  Some are certainly going feel a greater sense than others.  Will there be a Pareto, re-distribution?

It's not a metaphor for anything. In case you're unable to look things up yourself, 

• noun An extremely difficult experience or situation; a severe test or trial: synonym: trial.

One (including me) would hope you would successfully emerge from the situation having had substantial emotional healing and growth. 

You do know I neither invited you to this discussion nor barely tolerate you, right?

image.png

Edited by Rocky

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

Sing with me, now...

"I'm so glad

I'm a part

Of the fa...."

Hey! Just a cotton pickin' minute!

Honestly, I don't seem to be getting through to you. It's NOT about belonging to any external group or entity.

But I do appreciate realizing the participants in this discussion are somehow unable to grasp the key insight. Maybe I'll be able to figure out how to get the point across someday.

Amor fati. :spy:

23 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I asked very early on, some 2K posts ago, why we feel the need to belong to anything. Similar answers were given then as now: We are social beings with an innate desire to belong. Indeed, we are social beings. But WHY do we desire to belong to a group?

Meaningful social (acceptance) attachments where we FEEL like we're seen and heard and understood.

I just don't know why this subject is so difficult. 

25 minutes ago, waysider said:

Sing with me, now...

"I'm so glad

I'm a part

Of the fa...."

Hey! Just a cotton pickin' minute!

Clap your hands! 

. . . But there was still a pecking order.

How can "sense of belonging" be used in a practical sense?  I don't see how "sense of belonging" can be a goal.  Perhaps a byproduct, and subjective.  Not objectively measurable.

1 minute ago, waysider said:

See, here's the thing, Rocky, there are lots of folks out there in the real world who don't have a solid grasp of what "family" even means. That's partly why they aspire to become gangbangers and Kia Boyz.

That's true, but clearly outside the scope of the topic of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

"WHY are humans vulnerable to cults in the first place?"

And how can parents raising their children inoculate THEIR children from cult predation?

This is the essence of the question I intended to be the subject of this thread.

Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

And how can parents raising their children inoculate THEIR children from cult predation?

This is the essence of the question I intended to be the subject of this thread.

Any ideas?

Okay, to innocuoate your own kids you need to have parental rights.  Then once you have rights, exercise them.

Once they become adults, that's up to them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Okay, to innoculate your own kids you need to have parental rights.  Then once you have rights, exercise them.

This it in a nutshell.

But, if someone or something usurps those rights, all bets are off the table on what the outcome will be.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Okay, to innocuoate your own kids you need to have parental rights.  Then once you have rights, exercise them.

If only you weren't so #%^&*#ing obtuse.