GreaseSpot Cafe

How to tell if you're brainwashed.

Rocky

Many GSC readers will be familiar with Steven Hassan's name and anti-cult message.

This TED talk by Hassan is poignant (and has been for more than 40 years) and is salient today. It's less than 14 minutes long. The concept is far from limited to religion (including fundamentalist groups like twi) or politics. Hassan cites other ways people might be subject to this kind of mental/emotional manipulation.

BTW, all humans are subject to being conned. I have been and not only by Victor Wierwille or Loy Martindale. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waysider said:

But, then again, it might simply mean you're "on the ball".

When a brown metal folding chair seems to be the only kind that feels comfortable so you tell your local Leadership that and act like its a good thing....
You just might be brainwashed. 

When you can't remember if it's your night to bring the coffee, or the cookies, so you just bring both because you know you'll get reproved if you bring the wrong thing...

When the dial in number goes dead and there's no sound but you just stare at the speaker because you want to report to Leadership what you did and tell them "that's just how faithful" you really are...

If your local Leaders criticizes a local "believer" because they don't give a lot in abundant sharing by saying "I'm glad I don't have to try and live off what they give!" and you don't take the opportunity to tell them what an asshole they really are...

(and yes, they all actually happened)

Edited by socks
All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir.....Well you did some pushing on your own John....They drew first blood, not me.
  • Like 3

"If your local Leaders criticizes a local "believer" because they don't give a lot in abundant sharing by saying "I'm glad I don't have to try and live off what they give!" and you don't take the opportunity to tell them what an .... they really are...
You just might be brainwashed.  "

Well, maybe if their believing was in shape, that would be MORE than they needed. It's only a failure of their OWN believing that made it necessary to try to make a living off someone's giving.  How about making saddles for a living?    I know it's still a current job on the market.

• Like 2