GreaseSpot Cafe

What kind of animals do you have?

RottieGrrrl

Tell about your fur kids. What do you have? What are their names? How did you name them? How old are they and how did you get them? What would be your fantasy animal, I mean an animal that you would choose if you were able to pick any.

babyrott.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's beautiful, Rottie. What a sweet face!

I have Emma, a terrier-shepherd mix who's almost 4 years old. She's quite the clown and a sweet companion, even though a little hyperactive.

Then there's Molly, a grey-and-beige butterball of a kitty. (She was the replacement for what seemed like a clan of about a zillion mice who lived with me last year after my old cat died.)

She was abused before I got her, but she's gotten over her fear and knows this is HER house now.

Linda Z

Emma and Molly those are sweet names. I like shepherd mix anything. Shepherd and terrier sounds like a great combo.

One of these days I might get a kitty. Some of them are so sweet. Plus they are great for catching rodents like you mentioned and bugs.

babyrott.gif

Here is my family --

Tipper (2 yrs old), Rusty (9 yrs), Baby (15 yrs) and Murphy ( 5 yrs) our newest is in the picture above. Her name is Cinders (4 yrs), she is so dark I am always tripping over her at night.

Rusty was a stray, Baby, Murphy and Cinders were from a rescue and Tipper was a puppy heading toward the pound. They all sleep in bed with us, I make them dog food and they mean more to us than any material thing we could possibly own.

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on August 02, 2002 at 8:02.]

I can't wait to see you're fur kids! I see the pictures are "pending moderation" so far.

I am new to this whole posting picture thing, but what I did was play with my digital for the first time today.

I saved her picture on the harddrive as a JPEG file..whatever that is. Then I uploaded it on an AOL Hometown page.

Then I right clicked the picture, and left clicked under properties and copied and pasted that URL address, and put it in the "Image" place.

I think somebody like Steve! would probably be better to ask though! I'm still learning by trial and error.

But your way seems to be working as soon as it "pends moderation" lol. whatever that means.

I can't see the pictures yet, but I will come back later to see your family!

babyrott.gif

I have a white domestic short hair cat.

I got him in 1994, he weighs 30 pounds.

His name is Aquila.

A few years ago Aquila was VERY sick!!! he had liver and kidney problems. lost about 10 pounds. The Vet wasn't optomistic... This was one of the saddest times in my life. I even had a prayer request on EPH320.com for him.

He recovered, and found those 10 pounds again...

I believe that God healed my cat.

I am very thankful to have a cat that loves me as much as he does.

aw Z that is so sweet. I believe God healed you're kitty too!

Dot what a nice looking couple you and your hubby are..and what a family! LOL! I take it you're both dog lovers.

Lets see, the black one, Cinder? Is that the name? Looks like a pomeranian? Tipper looks like A bichon, Rusty (good name) looks kind of like that Dreyfus dog on empty nest..

Baby looks like a poodle and Murphy looks kind of like a cocker mix, but maybe a pekinise(sp) or dangzu mix? Am I totally off? I'm not really up on dog breeds!

babyrott.gif

I have a cat that literally loves only me!! and on some days she is a real pest.

Her name is Patch cuz of a small beige patch of fur she has above one eye. Personally i think her name should be Rover. She acts like a watch dog on some days, comes when I whistle, and plays fetch with (can you believe this!!) a stick!!

Rottie, beautiful baby you have! You too, Dot!

family.jpg

Here?s four of my five. From back to front: Claudia, Harriet, Jesse and Yoda. Their ages are, 12, 14, 6 and 10, in that order.

Claude is Harry?s puppy. Who knew that some strange dog could get into my back yard! I fixed that problem real quick and NOT by securing the fence!

Harry was about three months and a stray in the neighborhood when I first saw her. I spent New Year?s Eve with her, shortly after I left TWI. With her I didn?t feel so alone, so I searched for her owner the next day. When I found them, I learned they didn?t want her and she has been with me ever since.

With Jesse, I had always wanted a giant breed, so I researched breeds and learned about the Leonberger. I found a breeder I clicked with on the phone and waited a couple of months for him to arrive. He is everything I ever wanted in a dog, then some. Jesse is my heart.

Yoda was a stray that walked in the house one day and took over. She was about 9 months old and had the worst skin I had ever seen. We did everything to find her owner from putting up notices at the vets, signs on telephone poles, newspaper ads, to having the local Catholic Church make an announcement about a found dog. No one claimed her, and well, she acted like she had always been with us anyway, so...

The one not pictured is a 10 year-old Bulldog named Cappy. One night about 4 years ago, four dogs went out in the front yard while the trash was being taken out and five dogs came back in! He was very underweight, his teeth were in horrible shape and he stank like cat urine. The next day we looked for and found the owner. During our conversation, I told the owner he had three choices. He could either take the dog to the vet, let the dog die or sell him to me. Needless to say, he called the next day and I bought a dog.

Gandhi once said, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Here in New Orleans, our moral progress is pretty slow! I work in at the SPCA/Animal Control and it is sickening to see the attitudes people have about animals!

I?ll never understand TWI?s no-pets policy. I?ve seen the hardest child soften by the love of his dog, the elderly find a reason to get up in the morning and so much more. The one thing you can pour your emotions into without being misunderstood is an animal. They are also pretty good gauges of how you are coming across. I think getting a dog soon after leaving TWI was the first step I took towards God softening my heart. And God has done a great job!

Jesse

How great to see you, and your canine family members. Jesse is a biiiiig, beautiful boy! You've got all shapes and sizes! Dot, you've got quite a variety, too!

Like JJ, I love large breeds, but I have a small house so I compromised. Emma's only a little over 30 lbs. If I can muster up the computer skills, I'll try to post a photo of her.

Hey JJ, could you send me the link to the Web site where my story about my late pooch Chester was (if it's still there or archived somewhere). I lost it somehow when I changed hard drives.

Thanks if you can, and welcome back!

Linda

In my family we have all "blood" relations from one very tiny cat named tutie.

that means every one in our relations have a relation of this one cat she weighs about maybe four pounds looks like a baby kitten and had a litter with one of my sisters cat. My sister lived on a farm at one point and had many strays then the kittens had kittens so now even my own grown children have a cat that is a great nephew to my cat.....who is tutie first litter.

etc.

the reason we keep it in the family is because our cats have the ability to talk>

The meow and make noises like words like mama and

they shake their head for no etc.

When I walk in the door my two sit at the dorr and moew like a dog would bark I guess.

they have siamese in them I have heard that is why they are so vocal.

If my daughter yells at my male when I am not home he "tells" on her when I get home .

this sounds very odd but as we all have had these guys for years we understand them and they do us

they sing too.

My parents had a cat live for twenty sx years she was a doll she was in bad shape when she was put to sleep but stil knew everyone.

My male cat is well over twenty five lbs as well so much for genes and sizes in cats..

I posted in another thread, (In Memoriam) about the feline in my life who allows us to pay rent so he has a home.

His name is Turtle. He was born 24 hours after the first 4 kittens in his litter, he was the runt, scrawny had a belly button hernia, and his mother was the worst parent on the planet. When they were born she hid them in different corners of the house, wouldn't nurse them unless she was made to. We had to buy kitty formula and feed them with doll baby bottles and eyedroppers.

Hence, all of them imprinted on us, and think they are human!

We got the mom cat, (named Baby)spayed and sent her to a friends farm. The other kittens were given good homes but we kept Turtle. He had hip displasia and the vet didn't hold much hope that he would walk.

Well, Turtle can walk, run, jump, and play like any other cat, just took him longer to learn.

He is a joy and annoyance in my life.

He is all black with yellow eyes and born on Halloween!

Thanks be to God for pets!

Kay

Kay1952

Thank you for the pictures. Makes me want to get a digital camera so I can show off my babies.

Joey is a chihuahua rat terrier mix. He claimed me at an adoption day at a PetCo. I went in the store with the intention of buying supplies for my other dog when I overheard a conversation between two shelter workers saying that they thought he was unadoptable. He looked so sad and depressed, I wrote a check and put him in my cart with the supplies for my black lab. When the love of my life, my black lab, died several months later, Joey was a great source of comfort. Joey is named Joey because he just looks like a Joey. Since my dad insists his grandchildren have middle names because that's "what Catholics do" (but I am a Methodist), Joey's middle name is Pierre. He was the first small dog I ever had.

A few months after my lab died, I was looking at the local shelter web sites and found Lucy Rose, a Pomeranian mix. I brought her home in October of 2001 in honor of the stray black lab that had found and claimed me seven Octobers earlier. She is named after Lucy in the Peanuts comic strip and my youngest sister, Rose. Sister Rose is not sure how she feels about yet another dog being named after her. She said Lucy makes three.

I am a foster mom for a local rescue organization. So far I have fostered a puppy mill rescue name Peanut, a dangzu/Poodle mix. She came to me terrified of everything. SHe had spent her life in a cage with little human contact or socialization. It was painful to see the fear in that little creature's face. Joey P. and Lucy R. taught her how to trust people, have fun and enjoy life, and now she is in a permanent home with a wonderful mom and big brother.

After that Joey, Lucy and I took care of Dexter, another chihuahua mix. When he was one year old, his parents decided that he took too much time and wasn't as cute as when he was a puppy. He came to live at Daisy Hill (what I named my house and yard after the puppy farm that Snoopy came from because the dogs here are very happy). He now has a permanent home with a mom that is in love with him.

THen came another dog exploited by a puppy mill. She is a blind dangzu. She had been with another family for awhile but they had to go to a nursing home, so Cally needed a new home. She found a new mom yesterday at our adoption day.

I will probably decide to keep a foster dog every now and then, so my pack will grow. I do miss the big dogs so I am thinking I need to get a higher fence.

I think dogs should be tax deductible as a medical expense. I think I am healthier mentally and physically because of my dogs.

My dream in life is to have a job where I can take my dog to work. Someday...

MCR

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing...G.B. Shaw

I am with St. Francis of Assisi on this one:

If you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

-- St. Francis of Assisi

MCR

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing...G.B. Shaw

Since he sits on my desk with me while I type I thought I would dedicate this post to my boy kitty.

As the children grew up andleft one by one he would go in ther rooms and mourn as I did with the empty nest.

He is still with me, but the kids are gone he often consoled them during the teen years as they hated me for awhile I would lay down the law and sometimes it was heated he would listen to us and then "understand", everybody just needs to remember to love .

a very good example .

Or he is just stupid and just likes to lay next to you and be warm. My daughter used to say he is filled with her snot and tears on his fur.

for hours he knows all the sad storys of growing up and let them use his furs for a kleenex.

aaawww.

But I have another ? .

How many folks think dogs are beter smarter, better pets than cats?

Cats have a rep of being solitary and independent dogs are needy and more trainable.

not true for mine I was wondering in a challenge of of the pets kind of a pro and con of a cat or a dog question.

Thanks for the welcome back! I lost the old web site when I switched over to a new one in April. Gosh, I lost some good stuff! I might have a copy on the server at work. I'll let you know via email tomorrow whether or not I find it.

Mary Cate, LOVE the quote by St. Francis of Assisi. It's so very true.

Jesse

Jesse I remember that you had a Jesse icon I think. I never heard of a Leonberger before. What beauties they are. They all are, they seem to be just one big happy family there. Those are great stories the way you aquired them.

I find it interesting that you just "happen" upon strays. Think some little angel might be putting them in your path? That was nice of you to buy the bulldog! 4 went out and 5 came in..LOL!

mj...My mom used to do that with the dogs when I was a kid and she would come home.. She would say stuff like..And what did she do when I was gone? OH! I was so thankful that they couldn't talk! I don't know if I would like a cat that would "tell" on me! ; ) MJ that was a sweet cat dedication too.

Kay I hope you can get your cats picture posted. I'd love to see a black cat with yellow eyes how cool Turtle? lol. cute name. I'd probably name a cat born on Halloween Dracula or something.

Mary Cate what a great story of your rat/terrier mix! That was so nice to adopt him from Petco. I'm glad these pet stores do that stuff. btw I only saw one rat terrier in my life at the dog park that tried to rip my rott to shreds. LOL! Me and the owner of the rat got a giggle out of it. That thing attached itself to Nico's head (my rott) and just tried to rip her to shreds. That little thing had no fear! BTW that's a great quote from St. Francis. Think I'm gonna have to memorize that one.

I think that's great that you are a foster mom. They are so greatly needed and I think it's wonderful that people open there homes to strays and dogs in need of temporary care.

All of our family dogs have been strays. Nico is the first dog I ever bought in my life. I just really wanted a rottweiler, and being the kind of breed of dog she was, and I never had a rott before, I wanted one as a puppy. But I do have to say I think that shelter dogs and strays seem to almost appreciate thier homes better. At least it seems that way!

As far as the dog/cat thing goes, I guess it's a matter of preference. I enjoy taking my dog out on walks, playing, having an animal guard me, and stuff like that. Dog's I think are a bit more difficult to take care of, and need more yard space.

Pro Rug and Linda I hope you can get your pics posted.

Hope everyone can.

Evan. Cockroaches, lol. I remember we got those a couple of times when I was a kid. My mom never would admit they were cockroaches though. She always said they were waterbugs. Okay mom.....

What? Nobody owns any snakes?

babyrott.gif

"Tell about your fur kids. What do you have? What are their names? How did you name them? How old are they and how did you get them? What would be your fantasy animal, I mean an animal that you would choose if you were able to pick any."

Let's see. . . we have one dog (5yr old) named Goldie. She's a wheaten terrier with some Chow mixed in.

Also have a couple cats, Grace and Tiger, both just plain, every day, meowing cats - about a year or two old.

Also have a fish, a little Betta named Scooby.

My fantasy pet would be a Trible, although it would likely multiply like crazy, eat me out of house and home, and then, when I decide to rid the house of them, I'd get in trouble with the FoPSPCA ("Federation of Planets Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals").

Anyway, "Beam me up Scotty"!!

Per