GreaseSpot Cafe

The Role of the Gift of the Holy Spirit

ex10

Thanks backatya, Roy!

ex10, he didn't do many of his better known songs. Some new stuff, other stuff. I don't know all his music that well. Opened with the Pretender. I like a lot of his rock-ier stuff, "Somebody's Baby", Running on Empty, World in Change. He didn't do much of that. His sound is so well developed with his style. It's like a combination of folk, rock and country. He had a couple great guitarists, one who really did some nice work that echoes David Lindley's lap steel stuff and a couple tunes where it sounded like he was referencing Roy Buchanan, sound for sound. Great player. Plus a backup female singer that was GREAT. She had one little solo spot at the end, my wife wanted to hear more of her. She really blended well with his voice. Overall, he was definitely doing a country-rock-alt sound that made me remember he was one of the guys who developed that whole sound and gathered musicians around him that made "it". icon_smile.gif:)--> He's aged well, although he looks like he could use a good night's sleep. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Oh! The topic! I'm been trying to get going on 3 things in my personal study, this topic, the Return/End Times/Whatchacallit and morals and ethics in the bible. I've been reading Henri Bergsen's stuff for a few years and now kind of branching out. No plan, need one. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But this idea of the gentile who does the law by conscience and Paul's comparison to the Jew who has the law but doesn't "do" it has me going on salvation in Jesus Christ.

From a sort of mechanical view, salvation "fixes" one "problem", but how does it address others? How we think, act, decide, choose? Is there a natural inclination in the new nature to act and think a certain way? What effect does that have on me, my soul and personality? Is it entirely a matter of me choosing? The whole idea of the renewed mind seems to head that way. Another view I've read is sort of an "anti-renewed mind" (although not against personal choice) view, that the natural progression of a new life that starts with the new birth is to pursue God and Christ and that we actually have to "shut off" that impetus to ignore God. The spirit is constraining and compelling us one direction in other words and it's a deliberate and forced choice to NOT do that. But if we...go with the flow for want of a better phrase, we are led towards that "mind of Christ".

Sounds vague, maybe on the topic. Dunno. I'm just thinking out loud.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God

Hi All

Been going some thinking out loud here on a subject that is a part of this one

If the soul life is in the blood and the spirit life is in the blood of Christ

Which part of the spiritual life is formed a new

Is it learning to live our lives like Jesus live his in the gospels

But I need more input on this

the bread is the body and the bread was form from wheat

the wine is the blood and the grape is stomp until its juice

But just thinking out loud and any input on what is form a new would blessed me

with love Roy

With love and peace Roy

Haha, Wordwolf

Let's just say that, thanks to my dearly beloved, I've come to appreciate the greatness of the 3 stooges. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Freaky, don't worry, we saved ya a seat. icon_wink.gif;)-->

And socks, the "mechanical view" of spiritual things, certainly does leave more questions unanswered than it answers. That view, seems to come sort of a dead end. One finally gets to the point where it seems that there are no more answers.

But to me, just the idea that something is "spiritual" implies that we can't possibly know it all, and see it clearly with "mathmatical exactness and scientific precision." We see through a glass darkly and all that.

Interesting thoughts about the renewed mind...and such things. I haven't thought about that little phrase in a long time. Probably because it was so misused in our former church, even hearing the words makes me flinch. anim-smile.gif

Lots of things to think about.

The 3 Stooges Go to the Moon...a film classic!!! Humor, social commentary (man's greatest technological achievement in his own hands, run amok)...chaos, food fights, eye poking, ear pulling. Aaaaah. It had it all! icon_smile.gif:)-->

What can I say? I like "Abba" too. What's not to like? Euro-babes in knee boots. Oh yeah, the guys, I think there were some guys doing something too, maybe. icon_razz.gif:P-->

Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

James Taylor

Hello, all. I've been trying to catch up here...

Socks, I liked what you shared about the conscience thing. I've been studying a little about that recently. Do you think we're hardwired to "do the right thing" once we're born again? Also, unbornagain people have a conscience, also, according to some, to tell them not to do wrong things. I think this could be true.

Whatdayathink?

WB

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

WB...

All I know is if I know something is wrong...I feel ''convicted'' to do the right thing. It's almost like that small voice saying to me, better think about it...

Just a thought.

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

WB...

Nope...growing up I never felt convicted of anything...I was raised Roman Catholic and it was pretty much forced upon me, so anything that had to do with religion or God or any member of clergy just ....ed me off, so in return I just did what I wanted to do and the hell with what anyone else thought. I could never understand as a kid why I should have to confess all my bad stuff to another human being who was probably sinning just as much if not more than me.

I guess God was just waiting for me to find my way, or rather His...icon_wink.gif;)-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Good stuff!

A few thoughts:

Before we are born is when the realities of heaven (outside the womb) are vague and distant.

For example, we can hear the laughter of the born, but do not understand why they are laughing.

We can see and feel the warm glow of the sun, but do not really understand what it is.

Just that it is warm and brightening.

So, is there not a difference between conception and birth?

Is there not a spiritual gestation?

Might we all just be spiritually conceived, and waiting for the fullness of birth?

And would that be so bad?

Is it not a reason to leap in the womb?

Read around John 3:8 a bit, with this in mind. See if it rings a chime or two.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Interesting thoughts here. The only thing I think of to add is that a "conscience" is not something that we are "born with," it's something that we develop.

How else do we explain sociopaths, psychopaths, personality disorders, etc. Some of the most evil people, have claimed to be saved. I know of one in particular, who had no qualms about using people for his own ends. Yet, I'm pretty sure he was "saved." icon_wink.gif;)-->

And Jesusfreaky, the thing about confessing your sins to another person is really not a bad idea. It's actually in the bible. It's just the way it's carried out in the Catholic Church might/might not be the best approach. icon_wink.gif;)-->

There certainly is alot to think about, isn't there?

I don't know, waterbuffalo. Some things make me think yes, other things no. Check it out:

Romans 7:

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? {the body…: or, this body of death}

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

There's a lot of stuff before and after this section. There's a contrast here being drawn - the law of sin which is in my members/flesh "fighting" the inward man delighting in the law of God and the mind (nous) serving the same.

The absence of condemnation is to a person who in Christ walks after the spirit. Who basically "wins" the fight going on.

Christ is the Head of the body, and we the members. Interesting comparison here, although it may not be one Paul made, or maybe so. (there's a lot of metaphors in all this, head, members, etc.)

The head has the mind and makes the decisions and it's there that God is served. The members of the physical body, the "flesh", are where sin resides and the fight goes on against the law of God. When the head/mind wins the body "walks" after the spirit and there is no condemnation.

Now I think about the body of Christ, the Head and the member of that body, us, members in particular made spiritually whole now. There's no "war" or fight going on in the head Christ. He serves God. He was sinless. We had sinful natures but no more when we come to the Head and continue to be directed by the head/mind, Christ.

There's a reasonable case to be made here that when we allow the Head of the body to rule the members, sin is/was overcome by both redemption and action and the lack of condemnation in the church rules through grace and mercy.

What say ye? Hard wired, perhaps, in the sense that we have the capacity to serve God with our minds and allow Christ to lead. We choose, and we have the "mind of Christ" to do that with. The two, mind and spirit, seem intertwined. Could be?

--I'm not explaining myself well, sorry. Basically, it appears there's a similarity between Romans 7 and 8, and Ephesians 2-4. The mind/head and the members/body in both. AS the mind and physical body can be at odds, so Christ and His church can be at odds. But when the mind/Head/Christ lead, God is served. Happy. icon_smile.gif:)-->

James Taylor

[This message was edited by socks on February 25, 2004 at 23:42.]

Thanks JF, socks, Sirguess and both exxies,

This is just a question I've had for a while...for example, when I was young I did one or two things that had I listened to what my conscience was saying I would have KNOWN was wrong even though I did not yet know the Bible said so. I was too busy listening to what the really "spiritual" people were saying instead.

WB

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

God

Hi All

quote:

What price will man pay for natural life to continue with out end But there is a end to all natural lives but to spiritual life there is no end

For the devil longs to kept us living by the flesh with is natural life For he is the leader of this life of the flesh as long as there is no spiritual life added

For the spiritual life adds to the natural life Whether it be upon the person or in the person it does not matter Now God set this life as a gift to all but open few wish to open the gift

For until you take the gift out of its raping papers and out of its box it came in You can not enjoy its use For all gifts are to be enjoy and used

It is time for the birthday party and your gift is on the table if you just come and receive it And if you have receive began to use it for the purpose it was meant for

Wear it the gift so all can see its glory Use it to help others and to teach others of what can be had If they just go to their birthday party of new birth

For this gift is the gift of Christ in you with the truth of the coming as more than a hope but a sure thing in your heart

with love Roy

May God the Father, Holy Breath the Mother, and Jesus Christ the Brother give you love, grace, joy and peace

God

Hi All

I hope to see this post keep going because I have learn from others

here a word of prophecy

quote:
For here I sat with Jesus Christ on my right and God in Jesus Christ telling Christ what to teach me this day of my earthly life For I long to hear the truths that come from above

I tell you my brother that I love you and it is a great blessing to teach you all truths For love is the foundation of all things For without love there would be nothing

For God created the heavens and the earth because He long for some thing to love He created animal life to be love as a pet He created mankind to be love as a son or sister

Now I tell you God loves all life There is life in a rock, there is life in the stars, there is life in the dirt, there is life in the plants, there is life in the waters, there is life in the animals, there is life in the angels, there is life in mankind, and there is life in the spirit

God is author of all life and without God there is no life and God is true life but the devil is death and in the devil life is death which came by a lie and hate

Now I tell you the devil hates all life and loves death There is death in rock, there is death in the stars, there is death in the dirt, there is death in the plants, there is death in the waters, there is death in the animals, there is death in the falling angels, there is death in mankind, and there is death in the spirit of darkness

For we were born with a dead spirit but when our spirit was made alive by new spirit we became sons of God By the natural death of Jesus and the power of his blood The victory over death was won and he became the Christ

Now when we make the Christ lord in our lives and believe he rose from the dead we win over death For the man of old won over death by believering in the first coming of Christ We win by believing he rose

For he rose on the third day which show that he was completely dead and being seen by three first show him being completely alive and for evermore he lives

For this Christ has taught many that search for the truth For all truth come from Christ sending it and all true understanding come from Christ giving us the knowledge and the wisdom we ask for

For God has giving Christ all wisdom and knowledge for to teach us and Christ has all truths which never change to teach us from

We just need to ask and it will be giving more than we can hold is there to be received Now there are truths that are to be not known or taught at this time

Now I tell you that you are living in the last times I will come back in your life time but not all who be alive to day will be alive that day

For my love goes out to you as you learn how to talk in the perfect love of the spirit For you are the true lights of the world For the sun and the stars shine for your understanding

All things in earth and in the heavens are for you to understand spiritual things by For the sun shines on the plants so they can grow and the plants reach for the sun because the sun gives them strength

The sun loves the plants and the plants love the sun Man gives the plants their air to breath and the plants give man his air to breath

God gives every thing there breath and without God is no love For love came by God’s love and stays by God’s love For we love each other because God loves us

with love Roy

May God the Father, Holy Breath the Mother, and Jesus Christ the Brother give you the saints the brothers and sisters of Christ love, grace, joy and peace

God

Hi Tom Strange

The author is God The person that was blessed to give the word of prophecy and write it down was me

with love Roy

May God the Father, Holy Breath the Mother, and Jesus Christ the Brother give you the saints the brothers and sisters of Christ love, grace, joy and peace

God

Hi All

I hope there more imput here to here

with love Roy

Wecome sat a while take you shoes off enjoy the waters of truth here the water is cool

God

Hi All

words of prophecy

quote:
For here I sat with Jesus Christ being my teacher of all things that pertain to life and truth. For my soul longs to be taught by my spirit as Christ teaching my spirit and it was God who taught Christ.

For Christ was taught one on one by God his father one on one from the day he was creative seed in his flesh mother Mary. What a blessing that most of been for her. And what about John who got things ready for Jesus to be the Christ

For he clean the flesh with had a dead spirit as part of it and then came Christ who won the right for new birth. For before one can take part of a sacrifice who must wash the out side of the body.

For John wash the body so we could receive Christ as a sacrifice by blood the lamb of God. This is how John open the door for all to receive what Christ came to give unto us with great love.

For Christ gave his life out of love not need but love and Yes we needed this but it was not giving out of need because Jesus the Christ did not need it but he love us so must he gave and God love him and us so must he let it happen

Now the pain God as a father and a mother must of went through seeing his son of his blood without sin having to go through this just so we would have a life after life. Now we will never be able to repay God and Christ for the love we have received over 2,000 years ago

I tell you there will never be any greater love than this For the deepest love we know is nothing next to this love giving to us that dark day in history So need to love each other but love God and Christ first

with love Roy

Wecome sat a while take you shoes off enjoy the waters of truth here the water is cool