GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Where is Stevie Wonder???

I love him. He's a genius.

Last time I saw him was on the Tribute to Heroes after 9/11 and more recently on Target(?)commercials.

I'm listening to "Songs in the Key of Life" even as I type...

Before I got in TWI, Joni Mitchell was God. I learned how to play in open D and open G tunings, and got a dulcimer for my birthday. I still keep one of my guitars tuned to an open D in case I'm feeling "Blue"!!!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope, you make me think yeah, what would the Beatles be like if they'd stayed and "kept it real" in Hamburg and The Cavern, playing for beer and chips? icon_smile.gif:)--> No, they had to clean up and bring us those collarless suits! And some pretty decent music icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Read an interview with Todd Rundgren years ago, where he said he figured, not to be egotistical, but he pretty much had the "pop song" genre down and could pump out tunes in that format with relative ease. (I'd agree wholeheartedly!)

He went on to say that he wondered if all the possible combinations of music had already been written and that looking for that "lost chord" for a song was less likely to produce more music as looking to simply create and using whatever forms we knew. It was an interesting observation. Probably represents what most writers do in reality.

Hearing that Avril cd reminded me of that, because the music is nothing new. Lyrically, it seems there's a lot of ground we can open up to when we speak from the heart with our own perspectives.

And still and whatever...there's always those few songs that come out every year that just seem to put it all together in a new and interesting way!

I was never a Ramone's fan, but could see the attraction. They were cool in their own way. I was sad at Joey Ramone's death last year.

------------------------

-----------------------------

quack

Ala - you have me confused with Lisa L.... I never sounded that good. I remember the first time I heard her voice...

Bob W. called me into his office, knowing how much I loved Joni Mitchell and said, "Listen to this, Joni Mitchell took the class" and hit the play button of his cassette recorder. The voice that came out sounded JUST like Joni Mitchell - amazing... He then told me he was kidding and told me who it was - Lisa L. I'm not going to lie and tell you I wasn't greencolor> with envy!!!

Because we both wrote a song about The Family, people thought I was her and vice versa. No comparison... I sounded like a frog next to her!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Socks - Todd Rundgren - incredible musician. I believe his first album was recorded in the basement of his parents' home and he played all the instruments, in other words, he was the Nazz! Don't know if that's true or not. He's another brilliant musician who never quite went mainstream except for a few pop songs.

Oh - and I forgot to mention something else - two words: Steely Dan!!!

Hello - it's me!

[This message was edited by Hope R. on January 13, 2003 at 14:34.]

Hope you are enjoying yourself there Socks! icon_mad.gif

Look, I chose the 'corn girl' because she was the only one I could identify with at the time on these pictures here on GS. Later on I tried to change her, but with my limited computer skills, was unsuccessful.

I think I need courses from Hope. I want to wink at all the men on this sight too! icon_wink.gif;)-->

HOPE: Sorry, you are right, Lisa T. but your voice has the heart with which Joni sang! So there! icon_razz.gif:P-->

I mentioned Steely Dan a few pages ago, (maybe page 1 or 2)! Life doesn't get much better! I overdosed on these guys for about 4 years. Drove everyone crazy as usual! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

TTFN icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

29 Years Ago Today

Just received a phone call from my dear friend and brother Mark Gluckin. He called me to wish me Happy Anniversary. Twenty-nine years ago on Jan. 13, 1974 at the Crescent Theater in Minster Ohio a group of musicians took their places behind the stage curtain. And as the curtain came up and the house lights were dimmed I stepped to the front of the stage and into the spotlight and said "God Bless You and Welcome to Joyful Noise". And we did our first opening song This Could Be The Beginning, and that was the real beginning of Way Prod. Many talented musicians, singers, actors and dancers would come and go in the years ahead reaching out and touching people's heart's from every walk of life and do so with the love of God in their hearts.

On this night of remembrance and being a little sentimental I would like to say to any and all who gave of your time and talent I salute you and from the bottom of my heart thank you. God Bless each and every one of you.

Happy Anniversary (Socks) John and Janet Ruiz.

Love To All

Ted

And icon_smile.gif:)--> anniversary to you, Ted! I know you put your whole heart into Way Prod, and many others put their whole hearts into the music they wrote and played. The result was that you touched lots of our hearts.

Many thanks to all of you who made us smile or shed a tear with your songs--and your plays and sketches and dances (well, most of the dances). icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Love,

Linda

Well I gotta brag here yall. I am sitting here listening to a CD of Norah Jones I just got in the mail from A la prochaine. (finally got my sound card replaced icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->)

And she included some family photos, and I have to tell yall this, A la prochaine is one beautiful woman! Knew she was in her heart, now I can tell yall she is in person as well.

Kathy

Ahhh shucks Chatty, I'm blushing! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Glad you are enjoying Norah. She's quite a lady!

Ok... Steely Dan ~ here we go...

ANY MAJOR DUDE WILL TELL YOU

I never seen you looking so bad my funky one

You tell me that your superfine mind has come undone

CHORUS:

Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend

Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again

When the demon is at your door

In the morning it won't be there no more

Any major dude will tell you

Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? Well, look at mine

The people on the street have all seen better times

CHORUS

I can tell you all I know, the where to go, the what to do

You can try to run but you can't hide from what's inside of you

CHORUS

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And this next one was from the Nightfly album : 1980 ~ What a funky song!

I.G.Y.

Standing tough under stars and stripes

We can tell

This dream's in sight

You've got to admit it

At this point in time that it's clear

The future looks bright

On that train all graphite and glitter

Undersea by rail

Ninety minutes from New York to Paris

Well by seventy-six we'll be A.O.K.

What a beautiful world this will be

What a glorious time to be free

Get your ticket to that wheel in space

While there's time

The fix is in

You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky

You know we've got to win

Here at home we'll play in the city

Powered by the sun

Perfect weather for a streamlined world

There'll be spandex jackets one for everyone

On that train all graphite and glitter

Undersea by rail

Ninety minutes from New York to Paris

(More leisure time for artists everywhere)

A just machine to make big decisions

Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision

We'll be clean when their work is done

We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

-----------------------------------------------

Ahhh, that felt so good... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

This is for you Hope!(wink)

________________________________________________Stevie Wonder

My Cherie Amour

La la la la la la, La la la la la la

My cherie amour, lovely as a summer day

My cherie amour, distant as the milky way

My cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore

You're the only girl my heart beats for

How I wish that you were mine

In a cafe or sometimes on a crowded street

I've been near you, but you never noticed me

My cherie amour, won't you tell me how could you ignore

That behind that little smile I wore

Maybe someday, you'll see my face amoung the crowd

Maybe someday, I'll share your little distant cloud

Oh, cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore

You're the only girl my heart beats for

Enjoy!

'til the next time...

This is for you A la (quack) icon_razz.gif:P--> and Kathy and all those who love great literature when it's combined with great melody. Here for your reading enjoyment and pleasure are the lyrics to what has to be one of the greatest songs ever written:

Hello Mother, Hello Father

Hello mother, hello father,

Here I am at Camp Grenada.

Camp is very entertaining,

And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining!

I went hiking with Joyce Fivey,

He developed poison ivy.

You remember Lennard Skynard,

He got tomain poisoning last night after dinner!

All the counselors hate the waiters,

And the lake has alligators!

And the head coach wants no sissies,

So he reads to us from something called 'Ulysses'.

No, I don't want (this should scare ya),

But my bunkmate has malaria!

You remember Geoffrey Hardy,

They're about to organize a searching party!

Take me home, oh mother, father.

Take me home, I hate Grenada.

Don't leave me out in the forest,

Where I might get eaten by a bear!

Take me home, I promise that I will not make noise,

Or mess the house with other boys.

Oh please don't make me stay;

I've been here one whole day!

Dearest father, darling mother,

How's my precious little brother?

Let me come home if you miss me;

I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me!

Wait a minute; it stopped hailing.

Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.

Playing baseball; gee that's better.

Mother, father, kindly disregard this letter!

-----------------------------

quack

Allen Sherman was the king of comedy in the Catskill resorts in the 60's. My parents had almost all his albums and I grew up listening to his parodies of everything from hymns to Broadway show tunes.

My favorite was "You Gotta Have Skin" - sung to the tune of "You Gotta Have Heart" from "Damn Yankees"

"Click Here (it's an mp3)

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Ted,

I first went to the Way on a Sunday in about March or April 1974 with some friends. They took us to that Minster theater in the early afternoon. Having just come from a background of drugs and what was known at that time as Acid Rock, I cringed at first at this strange little group with these dumb clothes. Frankly, I was waiting for someone to cut loose with the heavy music after the Jesus show was over.

But some of the lyrics caught my attention. Something someone said on stage was impressive. Then VP got up and shared some things and later we went to the BRC where I heard an inspirational teaching.

In spite of the music, I thought this "farm" was a cool and obscure place, far removed from the mainstream religions of the time. It was different, and I decided to check it out for a while. Returning for the Rock that summer, I was hooked. Especially when I heard a lovely young lady sing I Love the Lord on stage. I hoped I could meet her one day. It was also cool hearing a guy named David Bailey and his group from England sing. Theme was "Our Hearts knit Together". And the music kept getting better and better.

Tonights pre-bedtime music: Stevie Ray Vaughn (God rest his soul); a man who did much to bring blues into the mainstream in the 80's and 90's.

The skyyyyyy is cryyyyyyin'!!!!

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

...goin' down to Rosedale, got my rider by my side...and I'm standin' at the crossroads...

Morning yall, having one of those moments here so thanks for hanging in there with me.

There is so much to be upset about in regards to twi both past and present. If you have read me you know I came on board beaten down to the ground. I received comfort and encouragement here, at times it was my only source of motivation to move ahead.

Today it is easier to see the good I may have learned while in that group, and most of it was found in the songs sang. By no means does it lesson their evil ways, but what it did accomplish for my life was the sweetness of our Father above so that I could continue to endure to the day I could take flight from them.

It takes courage for posters here to speak of good things realized while in twi, as we know anyone of us can document mass reasons to work at closing that group down. But it does, and I know this now experientially, help the healing process to remember the sweet things of God in those lyrics and the folks bringing it to us.

When I came on board I wanted two things, one to heal up and second to help others do the same. I am convinced, without a shadow of a doubt, no one can force my change of heart on it, that what this thread houses is as vital to our recovery as pointing out the evil ways of twi.

I had to have a break from the fire and rage, had to kick back and remember the sweet. That does not mean I sold out to them being anything different than abusers, it just means I had to find the balance. There is a balance.

Okay enough said, thanks for hanging in there with me.

My love,

Kathy

Wow Chatty,

What a post. That was poetry. I ditto everything you said. I have often thought of starting a thread 'What GS has done for me'.

And yes, the music in TWI is what kept me going through the tough times. Even the old gospel songs in the blue book were such an inspiration.

The music was the thing that would often heal my heart from the abuse I was experiencing from certain leaders.

Thanks for your post. It is wonderful.

IGOT: Such a sweet comment about your wifey there. If I were her right now I'd be one big smile from cheek to cheek icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I know I'm a hopeless romantic icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

'til the next time...