GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

alfa, you remember that one?! Thanks, I had a cassette copy of our set that year and loaned it to out, have to see if I can get it back. Thanks for remembering it, man!

---------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> A la. Well, God forbid I should ever throw away a piece of music. I'm looking at the photocopy of the "Poems, Prayers and Promises", by John Denver, with the lyric sheet. Looks like it was in D with a dropped D tuning. I seem to remember Ted pulling this one outta the hat. I have it scratched out "pass the pipe" and sang "share the Word around".

Denver uses the phrase "my old lady", which really dates this tune. icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif:)-->

Back in to the drawer ye go!

--------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

There are new faces here in this thread, and I know that sweet french girl has been faithful to welcome you. I just want to say my welcomes and thanks for joining us.

This has been a fun thread, I think it has something for everyone who likes music. And I don't think there are many folks who do not like music. It offers so much to life. And tells of life in ways nothing else can even come close to.

Well gotta go again, back later tonight.

Ok, one more Joni tune and I'm done! (ya' right icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->)

The Circle Game

by Joni Mitchell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday a child came out to wonder

Caught a dragonfly inside a jar

Fearful when the sky was full of thunder

And tearful at the falling of a star

Then the child moved ten times round the seasons

Skated over ten clear frozen streams

Words like when you're older must appease him

And promises of someday make his dreams

And the seasons they go round and round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We're captive on the carousel of time

We can't return we can only look

Behind from where we came

And go round and round and round

In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now

Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town

And they tell him take your time it won't be long now

Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down

In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty

Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true

There'll be new dreams maybe better dreams and plenty

Before the last revolving year is through

In the circle game

Socks,

I would love to hear you do that song! icon_cool.gif I had never heard of those recordings Alfakat mentioned. Me, Madame Musique, I'm shocked! icon_eek.gif

Alfa-kool-kat icon_cool.gif You da' man. What a picture! Thanks, except I don't recognize you. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Well, I recognize your words and that's all that counts.

Cats! We have two. One is named 'Mama' (she gave birth to a litter of 6. Ouchh! icon_eek.gif) and the other is - I know you won't believe this but yes 'Alfa - fa'. He's black and white and thinks he's the coolest icon_cool.gif dude on the block!

Well, jazz is your love. Well, we have been going down memory lane on the folk scene here lately, but not much jazz talked about ... what was happening with the jazz scene in the early 70's? Was that when Dave Brubeck came out with 'Take 5'?

Hey, Keynote has said he heard for years that Dave Brubeck's daughter was in the corps? Anyone know?

'til the next time...

A la procahine was talking about being exposed to music thus having the opportunity to appreciate it. How true this is. When growing up I heard country and bluegrass all the time. In my teens I went thru a period where I thought I hated country. That was just not cool. Then later on heard it playing one day and memories, like the ones several just mentioned, came flooding back. And I found I loved the music again. But I had once loved it as a girl and the sounds tied to certain memories. I wonder though would I have loved it so much without those memories. Today yes, today I love nearly everything called music except for some of the real popular stuff. Guess I am getting old. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Cool car there Alkafat.

We did one of those burn the chaff things on some books and music one time. We got a fire going in the back yard that caught the attention of the fire department. Up they drive in their fire truck. And what a trip it was explaining what it was we were burning and why. icon_eek.gif

Pirate can ya imagine the worth to just the right customer of those original Beatles tapes just recovered..

A la:

Much of my work involves "high society" and their entertainment.

Not a week goes by that I don't appreciate this Joni Mitchell tune:

All the people at this party they've got a lot of style

They've got stamps of many countries - they've got passport smiles

Some are friendly, some are cutting, some are watching it from the wings

Some are standing in the center giving to get something

Photo beauty gets attention and her eye paint's running down

She's got a rose in her teeth and a lampshade crown

One minute she's so happy then she's crying on someone's knee

Saying laughing or crying you know it's the same release

I told you when I met you I was crazy

Cry for us all beauty

Cry for Eddie in the corner thinking he's nobody

And Jack behind his joker

And stone cold Grace behind her fan

And me in my frightened silence thinking I don't understand

A la, it's true. Dave Brubeck's daughter (who is a WONderful gal) was in the 7th Corps. I worked on a play with her when she was at Rome City for a block or two.

Alfa, I like Leonard Cohen, too...I've had a few lines of one of his songs taped to my computer stand for about 10 years now:

"Ring the bells that still can ring.

Forget your perfect offering.

There is a crack in everything.

That's how the light gets in."

I love that.

Hey Ted, have a safe trip (unless you're already gone, then have a safe trip back!) and give Doug a hug! We'll keep a seat warm for ya.

Love,

Linda

I love Leonard Cohen, also. The line that comes immediately to mind when I think of him is

"and is this what you wanted

to live

in a house

that is haunted

by the ghost

of you and me"

I went through quite a Leonard phase in the late 70's, I think it was. Never did see him in concert, tho. Brilliant songwriter, just brilliant.

I love seeing that line InvisibleDan has for a signature "We are ugly, but we have all the music - Leonard Cohen" I never had heard that before, but I love it.

Sisters of Mercy

Leonard Cohen

Oh the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone.

They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on.

And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me this song.

Oh I hope you run into them, you who've been travelling so long.

Yes you who must leave everything that you cannot control.

It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul.

Well I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned:

When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned.

Well they lay down beside me, I made my confession to them.

They touched both my eyes and I touched the dew on their hem.

If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn

they will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem.

When I left they were sleeping, I hope you run into them soon.

Don't turn on the lights, you can read their address by the moon.

And you won't make me jealous if I hear that they sweetened your night:

We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be all right,

We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be all right.

The only voice I hear when I think of this is that "clear as a bell" voice of Judy Collins.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Thanks, Hope, for posting the lyrics to "Sisters of Mercy"--had not thought of those in ages. Do you have the lyrics to "Suzanne"?

I guess I should start a thread for kat pics, ala--I'll see what pics I've got...

No, ala, Dave Brubeck's take 5 goes back a bit farther than that...late 50's, I believe. I am not much of a strict historian when it comes to jazz. I know the basics, but am constantly finding new stuff. I like some be-bop, more of the "cool", west-coast sound--Gerry Mullugan, Bill Evans trio and early Miles Davis. and many others...

Leonard Cohen

The Songs of Leonard Cohen (1968)

Suzanne

Suzanne takes you down to her place newer the river

You can hear the boats go by

You can spend the night beside her

And you know that she's half crazy

But that's why you want to be there

And she feeds you tea and oranges

That come all the way from China

And just when you mean to tell her

That you have no love to give her

Then she gets you on her wavelength

And she lets the river answer

That you've always been her lover

And you want to travel with her

And you want to travel blind

And you know that she will trust you

For you've touched her perfect body with your mind.

And Jesus was a sailor

when he walked upon the water

And he spent a long time watching

From his lonely wooden tower

And when he knew for certain

Only drowning men could see him

He said 'all men will be sailors then

Until the sea shall free them'

But he himself was broken

Long before the sky would open

Forsaken, almost human

He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone

And you want to travel with him

And you think maybe you'll trust him

For he's touched your perfect body with his mind.

Now Suzanne takes you hand

And she leads you to the river

She is wearing rags and feathers

From Salvation Army counters

And the sun pours down like honey

On our lady of the harbour

And she shows you where to look

Among the garbage and the flowers

There are heroes in the seaweed

There are children in the morning

They are leaning out for love

and they will lean that way forever

While Suzanne holds the mirror

And you want to travel with her

And you know that she will trust you

For she's touched your perfect body with her mind.

I am in the middle of emailing with Ted right now and he is teaching me about copyrighting music. I thought this email of his would add to the thread.

Ted?s email pasted here:

This happened to me in Columbus while playing at the Lincoln Lodge. Tom T. Hall came in and after I took a break I introduced myself and I told him how much I liked his songs. Well, we got around to talking about someone stealing songs and how I was a little concerned about that. Tom smiled and said if someone has the balls to steal one of your songs that is a big compliment and if you are so f**king good you can always write another hit. That has stayed in my brain for years. Tom loved to drink beer so after I was through with the night we sat at the bar and got s**t faced together.

End of email.

I learned something called a poor boy?s copyright. It is where you send your song to yourself in an envelope. Once received you do not open it. That postmarked unopened envelope is your proof you wrote the song and when.

Kathy

Check out this site: U.S. Copyright office

This has come up before regarding things other than music. Copyrights do not have to be registered in order to hold one. This has been in place since 1976. Registering it is a good idea and affords you more protection, but if you don't register it, it doesn't mean that it's up for grabs - it's still yours.

quote:
Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

and

quote:
Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. "Copies" are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. "Phonorecords" are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be fixed in sheet music (" copies") or in phonograph disks (" phonorecords"), or both.

If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

I checked on this when I started posting on a poetry forum. Not that anyone would want to steal any of my stuff... I just wanted to make sure it was mine!

Hope R. color>size>face>

P.S. Ted - I did that registered mail thing when "I Love the Lord" was copyrighted. Then I gave it to VP as a gift.

Hi Hope;

Unless you signed a legal document stating you were giving away all rights to I love The Lord you are still the legal writer and owner of that song.

Twi does not have any legal rights to my songs I wrote while there as I did not sign over anything to them. As in most cases of Way Prod writers. Yes I know some have been told twi holds the rights to all Way Prod songs. But it ain't so, and should that issue ever go to court twi would be in a bind because that would put them in the commercial music bizz. And I do not believe they would want that because of tax exempt status.

How I now do music copyrights is by volume. Say like twelve songs at a time on a CD or tape. I fill out forms and send in the volume copy of CD or tape to be copyrighted, and all songs in that volume are included. It is a lot cheaper doing it that way than sending in each song separately.

Kathy and I are turning out some pretty good commercial mostly country tunes and in the not to distant future will be pitching several to some publisher's and AnR contacts I have in Nashville.

Song writing is a tough road to travel and unless you can take a lot of rejection best to stay out of the fray.

Love To All

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on January 13, 2003 at 5:47.]

another lyric...

Out of the mouths of babes...

Just got the Avril Lavigne cd. Saw her on SNL last night and went "that's my daughter!" She looks so young. Kids! This song lyric caught my ear:

"Complicated"

Uh huh, life's like this

Uh huh, uh huh, that's the way it is

Cause life's like this

Uh huh, uh huh that's the way it is

Chill out whatcha yelling' for?

Lay back it's all been done before

And if you could only let it be

you will see

I like you the way you are

When we're drivin' in your car

and you're talking to me one on one but you've become

Somebody else round everyone else

You're watching your back like you can't relax

You're tryin' to be cool you look like a fool to me

Tell me

Why you have to go and make things so complicated?

I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else gets me frustrated

Life's like this you

You fall and you crawl and you break

and you take what you get and you turn it into honesty

and promise me I'm never gonna find you fake it

no no no

---------------

-----------------------------

quack

Ted -

In the blue book, "I Love the Lord" has a "copyright 1971, The Way International" under it. I don't remember if I signed anything. It was a long time ago. I've seen other songs by Rosanne H. and Dean in that book that were also copyrighted by TWI. How does that one work?

socks - my 15 year old punk teenager can't stand Avril Lavigne! Says she's a wannabe - a "sell-out". That real punk rockers don't go on SNL. They play in gritty, grimey places like CBGB's in New York! In other words, more like "The Ramones" than "Limp Bizkit". She said most punk bands that get famous end up getting rid of the punk music and go mainstream but keep the punk image.

I don't know much about it. Some of the music is okay - better than rap as far as my tastes go. But I couldn't tell you the difference between "New Found Glory" and "Saves the Day"!!!

Oh where are the Beatles when we need them??

Hope R. color>size>face>

Golfie--for the lyrics to Suzanne... man, what a way with words...

Lightside--that is the wonderful woman who married me and puts up with me on a daily basis... her first name is Jean and she was in the 12th kork. She worked on staff at twihq for a # of years after she graduated. We celebrate 10 years together this last year. And those are 2 of my nephews in my lil red car, Bob and Annette Eachus' 2 oldest boys(out of 4), now 15 and 13, yikes, how time flys!! icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Alfie,

I just e-mailed you! Enjoy! We do know each other after all!

Too cool~ icon_cool.gif

I love this thread. Been busy, but have read every word that had been posted since I was last here! icon_cool.gif

Socks

Quack, squawk, quack...

Avril Lavigne, great song. And I could never make out the words. They're cool!

Yana

That was very touching what you wrote about Joni's song. Of course it's one of my faves. It's such a soulful song. And of course she's the only one who could deliver it like that!

I love this thread, I love this thread, I love this thread, I love this thread...

Thanks Chatty!

'til the next time...