GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Oh man - I can't believe what's all gone on since I last peeked in on this thread! The Beatles White Album is the greatest!!! I saw Paul McCartney last spring and it was so exciting! Such a fabulous show!

And you probably don't want to get me started on John Prine!!! I think I have 13 (maybe more) of his CDs! That doesn't count what I have on albums and cassettes. He comes to Clearwater, FL every two years, and I go with someone different each time, but I always go! I have seen him more than a dozen times.

He sure does have more fun now than he ever did!

One of my wow sisters played his Bruised Orange cassette about a million times and I thought she might be a bigger fan of his than I, and I was so glad.

Fish and Whistle always makes me think of her. The chorus says - Father, forgive us, for what we must do - You forgive us, we'll forgive You. We'll forgive each other til we both turn blue, then we'll whistle and go fishin' in heaven. I sure love that song!

And That's The Way That The World Goes 'Round - really says it all!

Okay, I'll stop now and just put on a CD. (you're welcome)

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A la Prochaine, is this the one?

It sounds sappy without Kathy Mattea's sweet voice, but this one could make rocks cry. It's one of my all-time favorite love songs, and I'm not even a big country fan. I think her hubby wrote the music and Nancy Griffith wrote the lyrics (sorry hubby and Nancy, if I got that wrong!) :-)

Where Have you Been?

Clare had all but given up

When she and Edwin fell in love

She touched his face, and shook her head

In disbelief, she sighed and said

"In many dreams, I've held you near.

Now at last you?re really here.

CHORUS

"Where have you been?

I've looked for you forever and a day.

Where have you been?

I'm just not myself when you?re away."

Verse

He asked her for her hand for life

And she became a salesman's wife

He was home each night by eight

But one stormy evening he was late

Her frightened tears fell to the floor

'Til his key turned in the door

"Where have you been?

Where have you been?

I'm just not myself when you?re away."

(Bridge)

They'd never spent a night apart

For 60 years she heard him snore

Now they're in a hospital

In separate beds, on different floors

Clare soon lost her memory

Forgot the names of family

She never spoke a word again

Then one day they wheeled him in

He held her hand and stroked her hair

And in a fragile voice she said,

"Where have you been?

Where have you been?

I'm just not myself when you?re away.

No, I'm just not myself when you?re away."

Linda Z.

Linda,

I can't believe it. I was just coming back to my favourite thread icon_biggrin.gif:D--> and thinking to myself,"Self, you should find those words to that Kathy Mattea's song you mentioned and post them." As I returned, poof, Magically they appeared. That was so cool! Thanks! icon_cool.gif

Yup, thems them. They are so beautiful. And yes, like you said, without her beautiful voice it doesn't do the lyrics justice does it.

I heard her do that song on Johnnie Carson one late night (pun intended icon_razz.gif:P-->)and went out the next morning and bought the album. The whole album was magnificient.

Her voice reminded me a little bit of Vicki Allen's voice. Vicki was such a talented woman. When she would sing her stuff, (the stuff that suited her) man oh man, no one could hold a candle to her as far as I was concerned. OK, I'm derailing here...

Yes, Kathy and that song, I got all chocked-up just reading the words again.

Thanks LINDA Z. icon_smile.gif:)-->

'til the next time...

I posted this on a music thread that got zapped when the server was having problems in October... I thought aftera few hundred posts on this thread, you all might enjoy it. It's from the Nassau County paper, Newsday.

PDSTROPhoto.jpg

And here's the review:

PDSTROReview1972.jpg

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Some good times here ain't it? I think Oak said it best in his post:

quote:
This is such a nice thread. I needed a break from the "Mike Wars"

There has been some twisting but NO shouting in this club and I think it has been nice to have a place to just come hang out and think and talk about music.

Thanks to all for having the light hearts to come join and play. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Very cool Hope, very cool. Thanks loads!!!!!

Hope,

Hair, Hair, and more Hair! icon_eek.gif

I love it. I thought these guys were the cats meow. There sound was great! There sound was raw and it was real. You must be so proud they were from your hometown (or state). I remember them being on the PFAL'77 video (I think it was) and Joe talking about his drinking problem and how his life changed when he became born again.

Chatty,

Yup, I loved Oak's post too! This is for him. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

The Brillo Pads! Thanks Hope. I really loved those close harmonies. And to think that Craig lambasted them at Emporia once behind their backs before the whole corps because he thought "I Am A Leaf" was a sissy song. And in the mean time he's doing "karioke" on the song "Red Neck Muther"...

Kathy;

All here will miss you til your return. You my dear one by starting this thread with your cheerful and kind ways have inspired many of us to share our hearts about music and song You are a gracious hostess. Thank you Kathy for being you.

As for me (and others here I'm sure) I will continue to pray and believe that your hubby will get well soon.

God Bless You Kathy

Your Song Writing Partner

Ted LOL

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on January 09, 2003 at 12:26.]

Surprise! I'm Back!

Buck, ya like he was so talented icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Ted, nice to see ya' bro. I'm waiting for your 1974 synopsis!

White Album ~ Beatles: Martha My Dear. My husband plays this on the piano. I love hearing him play it. He picked it up by ear when the song came out. It is known in our household as "Mom's favourite song icon_biggrin.gif:D-->"

Dad is usually playing Bach, or Debussy, or Beethoven or something other than Beatles, but he always plays that song if I request it. My oldest daughter plays piano as well and she loves 'Martha My Dear'. It's so neat to see your kids enjoy this music. If she had never been exposed to it, she would have never had the chance to appreciate it.

'til the next time...

Hi folks, this music discussion is pretty neat . .

Yeah, The White Album was neat-lots of fun songs. I had the album once, but under the influences of 'chaff burning days' got rid of it. Well, no one is perfect; I may get it again one day if I get so inspired.

Some of those songs bring back memories. One that stands out in my memory is Ob-la-di, ob-la-da - it always seemed to be playing on the radio - must have been either late 1969 or 1970. Anyway, I have this one memory of of sitting at the kitchen table (with mother and some of my siblings)working on a jig-saw puzzle, and that song comes on and we all start singing to it. Can't remember what the puzzle was, except it was one of those 1000 or 1500 count puzzles - the kind a whole family can gather around and enjoy. An odd/obscure memory but one that will stick with me as long as i have my faculties.

Till next time. . .

Per

Goodevening yall,

Thank you for posting right along and having fun while I am at the hospital with my hubby. I posted an update in lift list.

A la prochaine, you do a great job of filling my shoes. Most excellent indeed. Thank you so much for your care of this thread.

Peruser, thanks for joining us. I so enjoy our morning chats on AIM.

Ted, what can I say? You have become such a dear friend, what can I say?

Kathy

I refused to "burn" or toss any music in those "Uncle Harry" bonfires. My mind always went back to "Farenheit 451" and black and white images of the massive burning of Beatle albums when John Lennon stated that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. I wouldn't part with any music no matter how "devilish" someone else thought it was.

The only thing I ever got rid of on one of those weekends was a deck of Tarot cards I had from before I got in TWI. Other than that, I can't remember a single thing I burned or threw away because TWI told me I should "clean house".

I have a story to tell about that, but it doesn't go in this thread...

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

Burn the Chaff!

Ya', I remember gettin' rid of stuff! icon_frown.gif:(-->

I know this will sound silly, but all my John Denver albums (I know most of you are doing the dance of joy right now) and all my John Denver guitar books.

Recently, my niece has started to play guitar. I know she would have appreciated having all my books to learn from. She's into the 'oldies' (as they so lovingly called it today) icon_redface.gif:o-->

I remember thinking what a sacrifice I was making! Somehow, after throwing all that away I was now going to become more icon_confused.gif:confused:--> spiritual! icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I'm sure there were things people needed to get rid of that were beneficial to their lives, but I know John Denver albums and music books would not have made any difference in the long run!

Hey Hope, go ahead and share your incident!

I little de-railment is always a good thing!

'til the next time...

White Album, such good memories, thanks for posting that A la. Dance With Me is just like that for me, just pops out and comes right back! Really love that tune.

Love Dear Prudence, Julia, such a soft brooding song, like a dream. "I Will", Blackbird. Cry Baby Cry. I love the way that song sort of wheezes along, like an old organ.

Ob-La-Di, such a nice tune, Peruser I agree! That's so funny you mention remembering that, I can still picture my daughter sort of skating across the kitchen floor one day I had that album on couple years ago, dancing along. Fun stuff.

"Happiness is a warm gun, momma"

(bang bang shoooot shoot!)

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Quack!

------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

A La, one of the tunes we used to do in JN back in our first year was Denver's "Poems, Prayer's and Promises". I sang it, it was a nice tune.

Back when we went out WOW in '72/73, "Country Roads" was getting played everywhere it seemed. When I hear that tune I can still recall the place we had at the time and hearing it. Funny.

-------------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

what a sweet thread...how come nobody's brought up two of my favorite female vocalists AND writers...Joni Mitchell and Judy Collins??? When I hear "Suzanne" it still gives me the same chills it did 36 years ago...does anyone know about Leonard Cohen, the author??

...socks, Sonrise was one serious band--I wish i could hear, in it's entirety, your version of "I saw the light"--man, it was inspired!!!

Has anyone had any contact with Risa Fleet or Olivia Scott over the years?? Both were in the Holy Katzenjammers and in a short-time gig called Souled Out that performed at raca '75. man, what pipes on those two...and Risa could scat with the BEST of them. I heard her do "Moondance" at a college advance long, long ago. Everyone in the room was breathless when she was done and Del Duncan came up front afterwards and was speechless and simply said "Goodnight-go talk with the Father"

man, some truly wonderful memories here....

That's a great picture and article, Hope.

Pressed Down opening for Crazy Horse. That's an interesting mix.

Here's a breaking news item for you Beatles fans,

LONDON (Reuters)January 10 - Police raids in England and the Netherlands on Friday recovered what could be about 500 original Beatles tapes that were stolen in the 1970s, including some never-released tracks.

British police said the tapes were "priceless," and that the only such recordings that have been heard before were bootlegs.

Dutch police, who recovered all the tapes in the Netherlands, agreed, but said they were still analyzing the material.

"We're currently investigating whether they really are the originals, but it appears to be so," said prosecutor spokesman Robert Meulenbroek in Amsterdam. "There are about 500 tapes, so there's quite a bit to research."

Five people were arrested in separate police raids in England and Holland. Their names were not immediately released.

The tapes contain what are known as the "Get Back" sessions, which were to become an album in 1969 before the project was shelved. Some of the songs, including "Get Back" itself, became part of the "Let It Be" album, said London police.

Chatty! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

All is well! Yeahh! And I thought this was going to be a week long thing! I'm guessing things went better than anticipated! Yippee!

I wish I knew how to do all those fancy dancing pictures on my posts! icon_frown.gif:(--> I think you have had a cyberspace mentor ~ Hope, where are you Hope? Hope I need you!

Well, if I could do all that fancy jazzy stuff, my post would be a huge happy face blowing kisses and 2 huge arms giving you a great big cyber squeeze! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

[This message was edited by A la prochaine on January 10, 2003 at 14:22.]

A la prochaine,

I was taught the basics from firebee awhile back, then have self taught myself the rest. You can obtain things to post here without having to be confined to Google Image Search. I just played around and figured it out, trial and error it was. The computer forum is a great place to try things out in.

But I will teach you what I know sometime when we have some extra time while in AIM, okay. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And I posted more about hubby over in my thread under lift list.

All is well. Yahoo.........

Kathy

Alfa,

You have such a cool name Kat! icon_cool.gif

It's perfect for our cool music thread with all our cool music dudes and dudettes! icon_cool.gif

You mention Joni and my heart goes to jello. Oh my, what a woman. I never enjoyed Joni 'til the early '80's. I went and got a few of her earlier albums like Court and Spark and Blue and completely overdosed for a couple of years. I'm like that. I find something I like musically and I'm off. I can't get enough!

COURT AND SPARK

Love came to my door

With a sleeping roll

And a madman's soul

He thought for sure I'd seen him

Dancing up a river in the dark

Looking for a woman

To court and spark

He was playing on the sidewalk

For passing change

When something strange happened

Glory train passed through him

So he buried the coins he made

In People's Park

And went looking for a woman

To court and spark

It seemed like he read my mind

He saw me mistrusting him

And still acting kind

He saw how I worried sometimes

I worry sometimes

"All the guilty people," he said

They've all seen the stain-

On their daily bread

On their christian names

I cleared myself

I sacrificed my blues

And you could complete me

I'd complete you

His eyes were the color of the sand

And the sea

And the more he talked to me

The more he reached me

But I couldn't let go of L.A.

City of the fallen angels

Socks, 'Prayers, Poems and Promises', did you have to edit the part of the song where it says in the chorus "Sit and pass the pipe around"? icon_redface.gif:o-->

Chorus:

And I have to say it now

It's been a good life all in all

It's really fine

To have a chance to hang around And lie there by the fire

And watch the evening tire

While all my friends and my old lady

SIT AND PASS THE PIPE AROUND

I'm so happy Chatty's back, 'cause this is a tough gig hostin' this joint!

Love ya!

'til the next time...

...add an "f" and you have alFa--tadaa!! I own 3 old Alfa Romeos, we have 3 kool cats, I love jazz, among other genres and alfakats just kinda clicked. so now you know what few do...

in fact, here's a pic: well, see below

hope that isn't too far off topic icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_razz.gif:P-->

[This message was edited by alfakat on January 10, 2003 at 14:54.]

[This message was edited by alfakat on January 10, 2003 at 15:33.]

Ha! I have those lyrics around somewhere, have to see what we did with it. Perhaps some kind of plumbing reference was used. icon_smile.gif:)-->