GreaseSpot Cafe

It's Father's Day Today...

Good Morning, all you dad's out there!!!!

I wish I had time to do a fancy icon...or flowers...or a pic...of something dad's might do...like...

hunt...

fish...

golf...

baseball...

do church...

organic garden...

shoot armadillos...

puter nerdy stuff...

...But...I haven't the time right now, I must be running out...

Have a BLAST of a day

from the National Fatherhood Initiative

Spend Time With Your Children

How a father spends his time tells his children what's important to him. If you always seem too busy for your children, they will feel neglected no matter what you say. Treasuring children often means sacrificing other things, but it is essential to spend time with your children. Kids grow up so quickly. Missed opportunities are lost forever.

Earn The Right To Be Heard

All too often the only time a father speaks to his children is when they have done something wrong. That's why so many children cringe when their mother says, "Your father wants to talk with you." Begin talking with your kids when they are very young so that difficult subjects will be easier to handle as they get older. Take time and listen to their ideas and problems.

Discipline With Love

All children need guidance and discipline, not as punishment, but to set reasonable limits. Remind your children of the consequences of their actions and provide meaningful rewards for desirable behavior. Fathers who discipline in a calm and fair manner show love for their children.

Be a Role Model

Fathers are role models to their kids, whether they realize it or not. A girl who spends time with a loving father grows up knowing she deserves to be treated with respect by boys, and what to look for in a husband. Fathers can teach sons what is important in life by demonstrating honesty, humility and responsibility.

Be a Teacher

Too many fathers think teaching is something others do. But a father who teaches his children about right and wrong, and encourages them to do their best, will see his children make good choices. Involved fathers use everyday examples to help their children learn the basic lessons of life.

Eat Together as a Family

Sharing a meal together (breakfast, lunch or dinner) can be an important part of healthy family life. In addition to providing some structure in a busy day, it gives kids the chance to talk about what they are doing and want to do. It is also a good time for fathers to listen and give advice. Most importantly, it is a time for families to be together each day.

Read to Your Children

In a world where television often dominates the lives of children, it is important that fathers make the effort to read to their children. Children learn best by doing and reading, as well as seeing and hearing. Begin reading to your children when they are very young. When they are older, encourage them to read on their own. Instilling your children with a love for reading is one of the best ways to ensure they will have a lifetime of personal and career growth.

Show Affection

Children need the security that comes from knowing they are wanted, accepted and loved by their family. Parents, especially fathers, need to feel both comfortable and willing to hug their children. Showing affection every day is the best way to let your children know that you love them.

Respect Your Children's Mother

One of the best things a father can do for his children is to respect their mother. If you are married, keep your marriage strong and vital. If you're not married, it is still important to respect and support the mother of your children. A father and mother who respect each other, and let their children know it, provide a secure environment for them. When children see their parents respecting each other, they are more likely to feel that they are also accepted and respected.

Realize That A Father's Job Is Never Done

Even after children are grown and ready to leave home, they will still look to their fathers for wisdom and advice. Whether it's continued schooling, a new job or a wedding, fathers continue to play an essential part in the lives of their children as they grow and, perhaps, marry and build their own families.

Happy Father's Day Dads!

Stay in bed...keep the remote...wear your oldest, holiest shorts...don't shave...here, have some breakfast, coffee, the Sunday paper...we're leaving the house to you today...enjoy!

We're all so very thankful for your faithfulness, your patience, your stamina, your protection, your support, your understanding, YOU!

Dads are one of the two very bestest things for kids in the whole wide world!

Yay Dads!

Happy Fathers day to all you dad's, moms, and moms who are dads also!

You have my respect and admiration and deserve all the kudos you get today.

I would also like to add herbalmike, grizzybear, arkieron,igotout, researchgeek, hillsbro, peruser, geo, fognavigator, and spitfire to that list.

All my wishes for a wonderful day to you! I hope you spend today doing what you enjoy and that you are spoiled rotten today!

Hopefull

edited to add a dad

ditto

[This message was edited by Hopefull on June 16, 2002 at 11:34.]

[This message was edited by Hopefull on June 16, 2002 at 11:52.]

My daughter told her mother and I that when she finally settles down to a Law Firm she wants us to live near her. Her reason is that she wants children but she doesn't want just anyone to take care of them when she is at work.

She wants us to care for them because we did such a good job with her. She thanked us for her childhood. WHAT MORE COULD A FATHER ASK FOR?

She is 25 now and lives in Tokyo. We miss her a lot, especially today.

Hopefully she will be home soon and settle down.

Just kidding with you about your inclusiveness, Hopefull.

In this case I find it amusing. Sometimes it bothers me, like when almost every post on Memorial Day was about veterans in general. What's the purpose of a special occasion to honor one person or group if we throw in all sorts of other people because of the feeling that honoring one person or group somehow slights or dishonors people that aren't included in that particular celebration?

LOL JBM you do have a point, I should have just said dads-- and moms that are dads (single parents). I didn't realize you were being tongue-in-cheek.

Hell I always made fun of "sweetest day" in Ohio, never saw it anywhere else. Talk about a hallmark holiday, like valentine's day isn't enough?

I stand corrected! But now that I think about it I did forget "step-dads"...

Happy Dad's day to all. As A Dad, thanks! This dad had fun, and although I did not expect a gift, I got a couple or two from The Kids. Including...Invader Zim and Gir stuff!!!! (fondling my stuffed Zim and Gir toys!!!)

But it's about the kids, ain't it? No words can exactly say what they mean to me. Life!

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

When people asked me if I had kids, I used to answer (with a wry smirk) "none that I know of."

When I hold this little tot, it is an awakening to my jaded past's smirky self.

Ginger, thanks for your kind words. Ex, thanks for the great stuff to read.

On behalf of fathers who know they're fathers, and thank God for it (there are no atheists in foxholes, or in nurseries), thanks to one and all for the good wishes, and happy Fathers Day (belated, but I didn't get around to this thread til now) to my peers in paternity.

Regards...