GreaseSpot Cafe

Has GreaseSpot finally gone downhill?

Zixar

Zixar,

I don't know what you are trying to acheive, but your quote is based on nothing and you should tell me where I said what you claim I said. I know you don't like being misrepresented, why are you doing it to me?

quote:
There is growing unrest among the GreaseSpot posters, and b) Pawtucket currently has no intentions of changing anything to address that.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zixar: No offense, but you're starting to fall into the same rut that Rocky did. If I were you, I'd take a break from this place for a week or however long it takes to get it out of your system, and then come back when you feel excited about coming here again.

I also don't think that the JWs are trolls, but rather just curious. I am curious how Refiner came to find this place since it sounds like he is the initial one to come here. However, at this point I wouldn't suspect him of any malicious intent. That could be due to the fact that it sounds like he and I agree more on religion than a lot of other greasespotters would, but I don't think he's posted anything here deliberately to cause trouble.

I'm rather impressed with his observations and impressions of PFAL. I'm also somewhat flattered that he used his money and took the time to order the stupid book so he could see what we were taught.

If you (anyone) haven't been to the doctrinal section yet, I highly recommend it. I'm not brave enough to jump into anything down there, but I definitely enjoy reading.

Mister P-mosh

It is exactly that attitude that allowed the (Huns, Romans, Spaniards, British, French, Reds, Nazis and Borg) to run rampant over (Asia, Europe, America, Africa, Asia, all except Australia and Antarctica, Europe and the Delta Quadrant.

I mean really.

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

Mister P-mosh

It is exactly that attitude that allowed the (Huns, Romans, Spaniards, British, French, Reds, Nazis and Borg) to run rampant over (Asia, Europe, America, Africa, Asia, all except Australia and Antarctica, Europe and the Delta Quadrant.

I mean really.

Which attitude is that?

I didn’t vote in this poll, and I wouldn’t vote in any similar poll, no matter how the questions were worded. I think it’s highly inappropriate. It is, perhaps, the most ill-mannered and presumptuous thing I’ve yet seen here. (Well, maybe the R-man did worse, but not by much.)

If you don’t like recent discussions, start some that you find more interesting. Otherwise, quietly go somewhere more to your liking, without insulting the host who graciously provides this site.

quote:
Originally posted by pawtucket:

Zixar,

I don't know what you are trying to acheive, but your quote is based on nothing and you should tell me where I said what you claim I said. I know you don't like being misrepresented, why are you doing it to me?

quote:
There is growing unrest among the GreaseSpot posters, and b) Pawtucket currently has no intentions of changing anything to address that.

I neither used quote tags nor quotation marks. I drew the conclusion that you intend no change from the following:

quote:
This community, hopefully, evolves. Different people with diverse stories, yet common elements. There aren't always going to be new episodes and new characters. Sometimes the familiar is good enough.

Remembering birthdays IS part of a community.

Arguing is one of the healthiest things we do here.

Take the "irritating" items and you have the ingredients to a return to the general population after living under a micro-managed cult. It ain't always pretty.

So YES we "jumped the shark". Hopefully we do it often.

If that is the wrong conclusion to draw from that, then I apologize. How are you planning to change the site to address the issue, then?

yeah... over 800 viewings yet only 32 bothered to vote... I think that tells the story... Refiner didn't come in here to do anything other than what he first posted was his intent... and his views have not proven to be any different than a number of folks here... except that he is not from the same CULT we are... a poster decided she wanted to hang out at a "Christian" board... she wasn't "run off" by the interloper...

like I said earlier... if you don't like it here, or the way things are here or the people who hang out here... why not take a break or go somewhere else??? It seems there's some un-necessary S stirring in our little corner of heaven...

There is no issue to address, Zix.

Have they violated any rules?

You started a weighted poll based on very vague concept that is aimed toward the longevity of TV series. Your thesis, at best, was a list of dislikes, not issues to address.

And most people that have legitimate issues email me or PT me rather than hang it out in public.

Long Gone: If it were just me, then you'd be right. If I don't like what's going on, I can just leave, the same as anyone else.

The problem is, it isn't just me, is it? The results were a long way away from 31-to-1. Typically in the past, whenever the site has been questioned, the fairweather friends leap out of the woodwork and outnumber the questioners by at least 4-to-1, usually a lot more.

Until the numbers were brought up, I assume people voted honestly on the issue instead of along personality lines. I would think the prudent course would be to acknowledge that there's something going wrong and fix it, not cover it up in another rah-rah session for Pawtucket. It's purely my opinion of course, but that's what caused it to grow in the background in the first place.

The site won't suffer a bit without me. It might disappoint a couple of people, but it certainly won't come crashing down because of the loss of one poster. We've lost good (and bad) people before and it carried on just fine. However, when a large number of unrelated people get disgruntled at the same time, it doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure out that there's a problem that needs to be addressed for the good of the remaining folks.

What "ISSUE" Zixar?

"The growing unrest"????

What "unrest" is growing? You a little ticked off about something? That's nothing new.

Others ticked off as well? Emails and PTs flying around? That's nothing new.

What I saw was when a very few GS posters tried the heavy handed approach with the "new" folks, FAR MORE came in to say "leave them alone, we have no problem with them" than tried to force them either out or to conform.

Is that the "growing unrest"... ????

Give me a freaking break. You, nor anyone else of your "growing unrest" are going to force anyone else into that crap.

Nothing but innuendo, backbiting and B.S.

Tom you make it sound like the ones(plural) that left just woke up one day (conviently last week) and out of the blue just decided to say hey I think after years of being here I think I will go hang out elsewhere. Please...

But we do agree it was their decision in the end.

I gave up letting others tell me how to think and react over 20 years ago.

I gave up letting others pressure me, either subtly or openly into behaving or thinking what they wanted me to.

IMO This is underhanded. This is low. This is not done out of a "genuine caring for the well being of GSC". IMO

I know it doesn't... and it shouldn't.

And I didn't think anyone "stuffed the ballot box"... I think more than a thousand views now and only 37 votes is hardly stuffing...

I think it means that folks don't think the poll is valid that's all...

...and I don't think you're a son of a bitch... don't see eye to eye with you all of the time... but don't think you're a son of a bitch...

Zix,

noone thinks you stuffed the ballot. I do think that you are drawing conclusions that just aren't true.

The "son of a bitch" stuff... well as you and I well know changes on a daily and sometimes hourly basis.

I don't see that another view point is invalid. I think it is a good thing. I may not have done some of the things the ex-JW's did by posting the derogatory comments on another site. But there is NOTHING I can do about that. I get dragged in the mud on other sites and I just go in and state my position and that is that.

I think cooling down may be a good thing to do right now. As the cyber police say, "Step away from the keyboard"

Well, I've been following this for a while not wanting to vote or post, but if views is going to become an issue then subtract 1 view for every post or at least every other post for the number of times I've viewed it. And, it looks like a few other people have "viewed" this thread more than once like I did.

I had a boss who used to say that she didn't want to hear any complaints without solutions to accompany them. I'm interested to hear how Zixar would run his own website.

Sorry, it just gripes my a** when people complain about something that is completely voluntary and FREE. Someone does work hard so we can play with one another and I think that should count for something. If that makes me an SOB, then so be it.

Zix,

If you are going to leave, then leave. This is based on the following posted by you

quote:
The site won't suffer a bit without me. It might disappoint a couple of people, but it certainly won't come crashing down because of the loss of one poster. We've lost good (and bad) people before and it carried on just fine. However, when a large number of unrelated people get disgruntled at the same time, it doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure out that there's a problem that needs to be addressed for the good of the remaining folks.

I know you are intelligent. But you have presented a skewed poll. If GS irritates you that much, I would suggest walking away. I don't know what your motivation is and honestly I don't care. From what you have presented you seem to just want attention and not interested in solutions.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve!:

Zixar -

So what is it that you think SHOULD be done?

He may or may not answer, so I'll give a few suggestions, to be taken with the dehydrated Salt Lake.

1) Define the site more clearly, and find a way to make sure people realize that. There have been many people that come here and think that we're all supposed to be Christians. I assume Dot Matrix left because she felt that this site wasn't Christian enough or something like that. I think that pawtucket has designed this to not be anti-Christian, but to allow people of whatever belief system (or lack thereof) to come here and discuss TWI. (Un)fortunately, there are other forums than "About the Way" that sometimes distract us from that, but the way international is the main topic of this site.

2) Stricter enforcement of forums by the moderators. I don't want to ask for more work to be done, but I think it might be good to be a little more strict about the sectioning of things. For example, moving refiner's topic about rejecting the bible was something that should happen more often.

3) More posts by the rest of us. I could probably post more things to discuss, but don't really do it much other than in the political forums. I think that some of the issues Zixar was complaining about are due to a lack of other posts by people here. The reality is that even though the main focus of this site should be the "About the Way" forum, the community here on the other forums is just as important since it ties us all together. I think it's fine to post birthdays and such, because it helps us all know each other a little better. I'd just like to see more stuff posted as well that are our thoughts on other topics. Even though my "favorite candy" topic has been done already and is fairly asinine, it at least gives people something to talk about.

4) Lighten the f***** up! Some people around here take things entirely too seriously, and some of us get frustrated by others here too easily. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the most tightly wound people around here who need to take this advice the most will probably not do so. I am primarily thinking of myself here, because it's too easily to passionately argue about some of the things I argue about here. I know others are the same way.

Anyway, there are four suggestions, take them or leave them it doesn't matter. They're just suggestions. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

quote:
Originally posted by Mister P-Mosh:

He may or may not answer, so I'll give a few suggestions, to be taken with the dehydrated Salt Lake.

1) Define the site more clearly, and find a way to make sure people realize that. There have been many people that come here and think that we're all supposed to be Christians. I assume Dot Matrix left because she felt that this site wasn't Christian enough or something like that. I think that pawtucket has designed this to not be anti-Christian, but to allow people of whatever belief system (or lack thereof) to come here and discuss TWI. (Un)fortunately, there are other forums than "About the Way" that sometimes distract us from that, but the way international is the main topic of this site.

To be clear, Dot was under no misapprehension that this was a Christian site. She's not stupid. What she (and I, and others) DID believe was that it was not a place where one's religion would be allowed to be ridiculed on the Open Forum. It was the equivalent of a Holocaust denial on a Jewish board and should never have been allowed to go on for as long as it did.

2) Stricter enforcement of forums by the moderators. I don't want to ask for more work to be done, but I think it might be good to be a little more strict about the sectioning of things. For example, moving refiner's topic about rejecting the bible was something that should happen more often.

Absolutely. Part of this stems from the fact that the offending "Reject Jesus" thread was two days old and six pages deep before Pawtucket did anything about it.

3) More posts by the rest of us. I could probably post more things to discuss, but don't really do it much other than in the political forums. I think that some of the issues Zixar was complaining about are due to a lack of other posts by people here. The reality is that even though the main focus of this site should be the "About the Way" forum, the community here on the other forums is just as important since it ties us all together. I think it's fine to post birthdays and such, because it helps us all know each other a little better. I'd just like to see more stuff posted as well that are our thoughts on other topics. Even though my "favorite candy" topic has been done already and is fairly asinine, it at least gives people something to talk about.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "fluff" topics, certainly not. The point is that when they start to become most of what's posted, there's not much left of substance that hasn't been said already. It's not that it's bad, it's rather indicative of a lull at least, a decline at worst.

4) Lighten the f***** up! Some people around here take things entirely too seriously, and some of us get frustrated by others here too easily. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the most tightly wound people around here who need to take this advice the most will probably not do so. I am primarily thinking of myself here, because it's too easily to passionately argue about some of the things I argue about here. I know others are the same way.

I agree, and I'll go you one further--the Political forums should be abolished altogether. Everyone has pretty much already made up their minds, and it's accomplishing nothing but perpetuating nasty arguments.

Anyway, there are four suggestions, take them or leave them it doesn't matter. They're just suggestions. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.