GreaseSpot Cafe

Home Schools - Hows, Whys and Whatnots...

ChasUFarley

Chasufarley

I was raised in a small public school. I have been homeschooling my two children for over 10 years. My husband and I chose it because the schools here in the city are terrible. It seems that there is actually very little of the three R's taught. My kids love it and so do I. They are very active in extra activities and sports.

I go to homeschool conventions to check out books and other aids. I also read, read, and read anything I can get my hands on to help educate my children. I also let their interests guide me. I love being with my kids all day, because they will only be with me for a few more years and then they will have lives of their own.

I may just have to go the "homeschool" route if I continue to encounter the bullying and arrogance of certain middle school administrators concerning my daughter, as I did last year. I'm being kind when I call them "Nazis"...thankfully, my daughter is out of that school and and attending trade school this year, with which she's very happy so far. However, my son has 2 more years at Adolf Hitler Jr. High.

SO far no problems, but I want to arm myself better this time around should they try to pull the same crap on us with our son.

QUESTION: any recommendations on how one might get certain school officials fired?

Does a parent have any kind of recourse or power at all -petitions, town hall, whatever?

(any suggestions would be vastly appreciated)

Or are these people who supposedly work for us (!) untouchable?

Danny

Danny,most school districts have dictrict administration offices full of people who can give you district policies, grievance procedures and the names/meeting times of your local elected school board.Maybe even their phone numbers.

These people are not untouchable.

May I chime in...?

We home educate (HE) our three children aged 9, 6 & 5 but not in the US.

This is our third year.

Yes, there are pro's and con's to everything.

We have found that although there is far more work and far more expense, there is also far more satisfaction. Every time I wonder about whether we are doing the right thing, I hear something that confirms that we are.

The reports from other HE'rs alone are enough.

If I gave 15 years of my life to an educational facility to come out not being able to read, write, communicate etc... not knowing where to go or what to do like most of those graduating high school in our country (a so called advanced nation) I would not be very satisfied. Not to mention (but mentioning) the uncontrolled bullying & intimidation, both mental & physical, the state brainwashing in PC behaviour.

Therefore I believe that our children with a some guidance and direction can make better use of that time.

There are many views on education techniques:

For example, the education systems as we know them are relatively new.

"The events that lead directly to the birth of the modern system of education in England are to be sought mainly in the second half of the 19th-century."

http://www.know-britain.com/general/educat..._england_2.html

Now there are a multitude of alternatives around where they are trying to improve the efficiency.

Also, it is a proven fact that the least effective method of learning is by sitting and listening to lectures. Hands on is one of the most effective.

Using this simple fact we try to expose our children to as many experiences as possible.

The below web site has some very good information education and provides food for thought no matter what your persuasion.

http://www.freedom-in-education.co.uk/

Regards

Snoballer

I was speaking to a colleague of mine who teaches in a Catholic High School nearby. It has won awards for being a Blue Ribbon School. I worked there for a short time filling in as a long term sub while a friend of mind had surgery.

This is an excellect school. Well run. Minor discipline issues and almost none of them occur in the classrooms. Students actually study! And when there was a discussion in my biology classes...everybody participated. If they didn't have something to say, the participated by very attentive listening and note taking.

My friend told me today..."they are banging down the doors" to get in there. There are presently 4 sets of parents who phone every week, asking for vacancies in more than one grade. Somebody may move away....someone may be expelled...someone may drop out or be asked to leave for poor grades....they call every week hoping. Perhaps sometime they will be satisfied.

Home scooling is not the only answer. If you can find a well run private school that you can afford - - go for it.

school-- my thoughts as I am Washingtonweather posting under Daddyhoundog:

Homeschooling is great if you can do it...not everyone can , wants to or feels competent.

My contract UN neighbor lives in South Africa a lot...when they do, they homeschool. However, she still uses the KUMON math to handle higher level math. (KUMON is a world wide system started in Japan)

My son goes to a computer based charter school. He is in 7th. He is now only 1 chapter away from finishing seventh grade English and is on track on everything else and only goes to school 13 hours a week.

My daughter needs the extra services that Public school provides. Speech and certain special ed cirriculums I am not trained in.

Problems arise if one has an autistic, or Downs child especially, there are not too many parents ready to take on these issues even in the children they love dearly, and know how to teach these disabilities effectively....but all that aside, and dealing with a "normal" child homeschooling seems to be a rewarding committment.

I think homeschooling is excellent and fully support anyone who is able to do so. Just think it through, Chas...if you don't mind the hard work and discipline day in and day out, can afford to stay home and do it, and have homeschool resources around you...it might be a perfect fit for you!

I think, as with most things in life, throwing labels on things like homeschooling and public schooling is short-sighted and serves noone.

I have been on both sides of the public schools, both as a parent fighting against an inept and uncaring system and as a teacher fighting FOR my students against inept and uncaring parents/guardians.

I have also gone around "the system" in order to get my children what they need in school regardless of "attitudes" of those I dealt with.

I heartily applaud those who homeschool when they see a need for their children, just as I applaud those whose children are in public schools.

I, for one, would homeschool in a ny minute.