GreaseSpot Cafe

Bed Bugs

Mister P-Mosh

As some of you may know, I am a contract computer programmer, meaning I travel all over the place and do work for a few months while staying in a hotel, and then move on to the next contract.

Anyway, I was staying in an Extended Stay for a week on my current contract, and discovered that there were bed bugs. In fact, the manager of the hotel moved us to a new room where we found bedbugs as well so we checked out of the hotel altogether.

We washed all of our clothes, went through all of our luggage, and washed the dog before going to the new place. However, by then it was too late. I am covered with a multitude of bites from the bed bugs. They feel like a mix between a bad mosquito bite and a papercut. I have hundreds of them from my neck down to my toes, and it's miserable. My wife is perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if any of you know of a good way to treat bed bug bites. I bought some ointment from the drug store that helps some, but it doesn't get rid of the itching/pain. If there is anything out there that is good for this I'd appreciate hearing what it is.

Another thing that I'd like to consider is to see what legal recourse I may have against the hotel. I believe that they knew of the bed bugs in our room before we went there, based on how weird the manager was acting and the way that the manager informed us of them. I really don't want to sue them or anything, but I am not happy with them and I think the company should feel as miserable as I am right now.

P-mosh,

That's disgusting. Care to tell us just which "Extended Stay (America?)" you were at?

That's certainly one I'd like to avoid for perpetuity.

I remember checking into a "Six" motel in Rapid City, S.D. and trying to take a shower, but the hot water never came on. I called the manager, and he informed me that, yes, the water heater was broken - and had been for several days (and this was in March, still a little nippy out).

"What the hell, did you think nobody would NOTICE? (You bonehead!)"

It's always such a joy to find people who are so adept at their jobs.

yuck !

well of course you didn't have to pay for your stay correct ?

and they will HAVE to compensate you some way. like you can stay with them for a million years once they get rid of the bed bugs (i know you won't want to do that)

i have NO idea how you deal with your physical misery but i will go look for you, you poor thing

quote:
Natures Insecticide:

Boric Acid is the "secret ingredient" in so many commercial treatments for insect control. Boric acid (100%) powder is odorless and nonstaining. Kills roaches,termites, fireants, palmetto bugs,ticks,bedbugs, fleas, boxelder bugs, carpet beetles, centipedes, crickets, earwigs, grasshoppers,millipedes, scorpions, slugs water bugs,and many many more creepy crawly insects.

Gack, I was contract programming for 10 months, on the road for 5 of them, and I hated being on the road WITH A PASSION!

More power to ya!

Of course, you have your wife and dog with you - that wasn't an option for me.

The only thing that takes care of insect bites is time, really. Ya just gotta wait it out.

Like Reverend Mother Excie said, topical antihistamines help - but don't cure. For real bad pain, crush an aspirin and mix it with a bit of water to make a paste, and spread it on the bites.

did i give you this site yet

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/...truct/ef636.htm

and this

quote:
make sure you see a DR. for antibiotic treatment because they double and triple in size if you wait and its an unbelievable pain and itch next to your face all the way to my limph nodes. PAIN and more PAIN. BEWARE IT HAS NOTHING to do with being dirty. read up about it and lets get educated. thanks best luck to all.
from here i think

http://www.redeaglespirit.com/arrrgh/archives/000989.html

P-Mosh icon_smile.gif:)-->

I don't have much to add to the bedbug discussion, but I have a helpful hint for future road trips. When I worked for a DIA (defense intelligence agency) contractor, I did a lot of traveling, so did all the other PMs etc. The most senior of us taught me an early lesson. He came home from a site in South America and all kinds of bugs had made it into his luggage, so much so he had to have his house fumigated!

After that, his wife made him put his luggage in a large trash bag sealed up real tight out on the deck for a week before he could bring it into his house. Try it! It really anim-smile.gifworks! anim-smile.gif

FYI, I just had a nasty spider bite, trip to the ER, etc.....best to always have a standing script for cipro !

Radar

oh man Im so sorry for you!!

it may not be "bed bugs".

it may be scabies which need six to twelve weeks to hatch on the skin. they live under the skin and can not be seen untill they hatch and the itching and sores begin.

you can not see this mite with the naked eye.

go to the dr. get an ointment that kills it on your skin or it may not get better and your wife may be waiting a few weeks to hatch.

oh my! I know they hurt they are common in nursing homes and group homes anywhere people live close together.

if it is bed nugs how do they live? on the bed? eeeewww

Although it’s tempting to cheer the bugs for going after the likes of P-Mosh, here are links to two Aveeno products that might help.

These products are commonly sold in pharmacies.

http://www.familymeds.com/yh1/product.asp?sku=38137003658

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp46887_332828_s...ated_lotion.htm

Caution: I wouldn’t go smearing either of the products -- particularly the lotion -- all over afflicted parts of my body before testing it on several small areas.

Thanks for those that gave the suggestions and looked into it, particularly exc. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Anyway, there is no question that they were bed bugs, because I saw some, and they looked like this:

bed_bug.jpg

I went to a doctor today, and he gave me a shot and a couple pills to take tomorrow and for the next three days, although the bumps are going down pretty well on their own.

With the hotel, they were a bit shady in how they were dealing with it. The day we discovered that the bedbugs were there, the manager waited for my wife to leave, then he grabbed some of the maintenance guys and tried to hurry and take our bed out and replace it. When my wife returned (with me, as it was my lunch time) the manager told us to get out of the room. One of the maintenance guys lied to us and told us that the previous guests had complained about the bed having a bad boxspring, so they were replacing it. It wasn't until we pressed them further that we found out that there were bedbugs, and that we had to move to another room (which the next day we discovered had bedbugs as well.)

Do you guys know that by law, the hotels are not REQUIRED to change the bedding (and many many don`t) for up to THREE different occupants? Though they are required to give you fresh linens if you request...at least this was the standeard 5 years ago.

Even some of the expensive motel chains cheap out this way....A clue to look for the news cast said was fresh fold marks on the linens.

Got a story almost as bad pmosh....My sister and her new husband went to Orlando on the first leg of their honey moon cruise.

They stayed in one of the pricier motels...spent the night, only to find to their horror the next morning, when they pulled back the blankets and sheets ......(anybody squeemish look away now).......somebody ELSES used condem in their bed .......yuck yuck yuck..

I haven`t been able to stay in a motel since....bought a tent and then a camper instead.

you're welcome p, and i have to tell you, it took a lot since i was itching and getting grossed out the whole time i was reading

i have a real problem with little bugs (thanks for the pic icon_wink.gif;)-->)

one time i stayed in a hotel and even though the sheets looked laundered there was a blood stain on them. i flipped out. you know, they came and changed everything immediately, gave the free stay, etc.

there's a thanksgiving hockey tournament coming up. i wonder if i should bring my own sheets. but that wouldn't do any good with bed bugs

ugh

i'll be inspecting that's for sure