GreaseSpot Cafe

Well, I survived...

markomalley

Thanks for the feedback folks. There were 6 of them spending the night. I made that collage as a little keepsake for their party.

As far as how it was done...the pictures were taken with a Kodak DX 3600 camera and the photo-editing/ composition was done using a software package called Ulead Photoimpact. Free advertising, here: I have been formally trained on the use of Adobe Photoshop and will tell you that this Photoimpact program is every bit as capable as the Adobe program, but, instead of costing over $600, it costs about $85-$90.

Oh, btw, the collage took about an hour to throw together. Software is a beautiful thing.

Satori:

I created a blank base layer that was 8 1/2 X 11 at 300 dpi. I then grabbed the individuals from other pictures using a lasso select, so I could just grab their bodies and not a ton of background that I didn't want (having said that, if I had the time, I would then erase up to the edge of their bodies, but I was a little sloppy -- 'cause I wanted the girls to be able to take the picture home with them). I then cut and pasted the objects onto the base layer. I smoothed them out by making a 50 pt. soft edge for each of the objects. I arranged the picture objects on the base layer to be somewhat attractive and adjusted the lighting on some of them as needed to make them appear somewhat homogenous (PhotoImpact has an AI lighting feature that can simulate different lighting effects). Again, if I would have had more time, I would have done a little more (erased the lamp stand that appears in some of the pix using a cloning feature, etc.). Finally, I put a pattern on the base image using a feature called "magic gradient."

After all the editing, I saved the object-based image (so that I could edit it more if I wanted) and then merged the objects onto the base image and saved it as a JPEG (the version I have here is a scaled-down version more suitable for the web -- the original object-based image is 46 MB and the original JPEG is about 3 MB -- this scaled down version is 146 KB).

For printing, I used a HP 952 and some 24 lb 108 brightness paper. Not the best stuff in the world, but plenty good enough.

Oh, btw, this program (PhotoImact)is more analogous to Photoshop CS rather than Photoshop Elements. It has advanced features like cloning, dynamic transform, AI filters, path and raster drawing, histogram image management, etc. that put it on a par with professional products.