GreaseSpot Cafe

Dr Phil

Cindy!

I sometimes wonder myself.

However - I watched his "Weight Loss Challenge" and the folks he worked with and I believe he's onto something. Most people who overeat, do so for reasons. People who yo-yo diet lose weight but then gain it again because they didn't remove an underlying cause which drives them to eat for comfort. The rest of us gain some weight because we just eat too much....and then take it off and leave it off....such as around the holidays, or some women who gain a ton of weight during pregnance.

IMHO his "instructions" there were right on...concentrating on healthy food and exercise, and also removing an underlying pshycological problem.

I watch from time to time and think much of the advise or suggestions are pretty good for the people he gives it too....and take the rest with a grain of salt.

However....I had a real problem with my 16 month old grandon. He was fascinated with my glasses and kept trying to pull them off my face. I am not one who can tolerate anybody fussing around my eyes especially my glasses....my daughter didn't think Anthony was old enough at 15 months to know what she called "right from wrong" and she is probably right....but there are things one must stop immediately in a child that young.

I tried his advice, and it worked the first time with no trauma to anybody. Anthony reached for my glasses....I made eyecontact with him...and quietly said "no Anthony, you just can't play with Gramma's glasses" while I gently removed his little hand from them and move it aside....gentle..no yelling...and he got it. Of course he cried and went running to mommy....she just told him that I was right, and that he couldn't play with my glasses and off he went. For the rest of that visit, he stayed away from them....but a week or so later on a subsequent visit, he went for them and all I had to do was look him in the eye and gently remind him he couldn't play with them and he looked at his mother for confirmation...and she confirmed it...and we went off to do something else.

I think it's like everything else....take what you can from it and forget the rest.

I was not trying to sound like I know better.

I still think its a huge profit margin on serious problems in many cases....I dont consider his weight loss challenge particularly serious, but a lot of the other issues seem pretty much like watching mental open heart surgery...I ache for those people and then knowing he makes a buck...a big buck off those problems saddens me.

Lianne

I agree, krys...being gentle but direct, that's one of the things I like about him.

I've watched him for months and think he has some great points and some great things to say. I'm not scared away by his success (old waybrain thinking).

There are two things that I've seen him do that have impressed me.

The first thing was...he was doing a show on desperate housewives...after his first show on this subject aired...a housewife contacted him that is doing things that would "have dcfs on her door before the end of the show".

They usually tape excerpts to sum up a situation, and they had in this case, too. But when it came time to air this excerpt, Phil said he wasn't going to. That impressed me. He gave up ratings in favor of one single person.

He told the audience that he knows they/we are sitting there wondering what is going on,and he's sorry, but that he feels it is just the right thing to do.

He told the guest that he WOULD show that tape...once she had gotten the help she needed,and become the person she wants to be.

He said THEN they will show that tape and watch it together in victory, rather than in exposing what she was doing then...especially since that wasn't really HER. (his words)

The other thing that impressed me was on this week. There is a girl he's known since she was eleven. Her father killed two of her siblings and went to prison. Her mother went to prison for criminal child abuse. That left her, at the age of eleven with five younger siblings.

The courts wanted to break them up....she took it to the media and kept her family together. (They have been living this past seven years with a loving foster family.)

She came on the show to ask Dr Phil about going to college. She really wants to, not only for her life but also as a positive example for her siblings, but she is scared that her family will be broken up if she's not there. They talked and she decided to go to college.

(Phil had people from the Childrens Defense fund, the girls lawyer, and a few other people who would help her keep her family together.)

After she said that, there was the President of a University there from a college not too far from where she lives...with a full scholarship (tuition, room, board, books, and fees)

There was also a cell phone company with 6 phones and free phones and service for two years for her and her siblings.

And lastly, there was a 2005 Honda for her and fully paid driving lessons from a place near her home.

Now all this was nice....nothing out of the ordinary for talk shows, but I thought it was nice.

Then I realized something....in all the talk shows I've seen (for instance, Oprah), when the host gives prizes, they make sure they are in almost EVERY camera shot looking giving, teary, smiling, etc...

What I realized this time was that in almost every shot...Dr Phil was out of camera range. And one time when the camera caught him...he PURPOSEFULLY stepped out of range. In fact he brought the people who had been the legal and emotional support for this girl onstage and he backed out of the picture.

Now that is class.

Cindy

I like Dr. Phil as well. Since I work full-time, I don't get to see his show very often, but I like what I've seen.

He's not afraid to take on any challenge, and he genuinely offers solutions. Like you said, he doesn't seem to be into exploiting people like so many before him have done. He actually does something to HELP.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a graduate of Momentous, as he is a proponenet of experiential therapy. No big deal. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It is nice that we have different likes and dislikes.

Personally, I really can't stand Dr. Phil. I think he is very pompass.

For example, the diet book. He isn't exactly skinny himself.

And, how can you help people that really do have serious problems in a show for an hour?

But then this is just my opinion.... icon_wink.gif;)-->

The saying Dr. Phil has that I like is "How's that working for you?" LOL. As far as diet books and his weight, the camera adds weight and he is helping people. He isn't a hundred percent perfect. I don't watch him on his TV show. Jeopary is more fun and I don't like to look at real dramatic situations a lot.

I like that he can deal with David Letterman with a sense of humor and has made a success out his life from a difficult beginning. It is good we can disagree amicably and sometimes not spell write and be accepted too!

Personally, the only daytime talk shows I consider worth watching are Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones, and Ricki. At least you know not to take those shows seriously. Face it, most everybody likes a circus now and again.

(The only problem is if you see a family member in one of the guests! LOL!)

Shows like Oprah and her spinoff, Dr. Phil, take themselves far too seriously. As do too many of their viewers!

quote:
How's that working for you? and, Do you want to be right or do you want to solve the problem?

Let him posit that question to all who are still "at da farm", there in Ohio, and see what kind of response he gets from them! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

A show with that format -- I'd watch that one, but other than that, he isn't that interesting.