GreaseSpot Cafe

Mind Mapping

satori001

Wow, this is a topic I haven't thought about in years...

I was taught how to do "mind mapping" as a freshman when I was in high school (1986), as part of a creative writing class I was in. It didn't seem to be anything more than just jotting down your ideas as you thought of them on paper, so that you could "revisit" them later - perhaps to use in a story or whatever. You could essentially capture your ideas in just a list or whatever, but it's the colors, doodles, etc., that are supposed to inspire the more "creative" side of your thinking. It's more fun that the typical outline format - you know, the one that looks like this:

I. Topic

A. Sub-Topic

1. sub-topic

a. sub topic

I sort of do something like this now when I'm working on a presentation in my job - it's just a way to categorize things I want to accomplish/communuicate/illustrate when designing and writing a presentation. It a technical and creative process - I have to use fonts, colors and very few illustrations to communicate some pretty dry subjects sometimes, so I like to "map out" what I want to do. I don't use software - just old fashioned pen and paper work fine for me.

Mind Mapping was invented (or maybe popularized) by Tony Buzan, who wrote numerous books on the topic of thinking effectively and creatively.

So you were able to adapt it to your own purposes.

I guess the colors and doodles could tap into the subconscious currents of free-association, which may offer the occasional glimmer of a new perspective. Like panning a creek for bits of gold.

I've never heard of any of this. Very interesting, but what does all that stuff on the picture mean?

Chas, I learned that too in English, but it was so that your papers were organized and flowed correctly. I never heard it called mind mapping.

Am I missing out on something here? I doodle like crazy, does that mean I'm supposed to be creative, cause I'm anything but.

Belle,

The picture is the "map." The term "mind-mapping" isn't really accurate. The map's center represents an idea, not a mind. Each line, an aspect of that idea.

You're familiar with outlines. It's another way of outlining an idea. Rather than using a linear, stepped format:

I.World History

A.American History

1.Revolutionary War

a.Revolutionary Generals

i.George Washington

It places the core idea (like "world history") at the center, and branches out in different directions.

Why bother? Well, if the brain works better with spatial diagrams than linear lists, why not? We're each different, and just as some of us love math and others hate it, this technique will appeal to some and not others.

It appeals to me, I think, but I'm wondering well how others have made it work because I may benefit from their experience. Looks like there aren't many devotees around here though.

Now that I understand what you're saying...it gets my vote! I've used that technique for planning out units before deciding exactly what to include in lesson plans when time was short. I didn't know what it was called though, I just did it.

I have not used it for myself, but I did examine a copy of MM software for learning disabled students and I secretly wished such software was around for me because it would have made my life a lot easier. (as I thought of other aspects, they could have been spacially posititioned better and/or deleting a few items, wouldn't necessetate a whole new drawing because I made such a mess what I had was no longer useable.

One of the things I would have loved to use it for would be sequencing the items...where to start...what comes next etc.

If you can find a piece of software that isn't too time consuming to learn to use, that will meet your needs, go for it...from what I saw and how I used to work, I think it would be a blessing.

Linear thinking, such as what happens in outlining does not give the "whole picture" but I think this would.