GreaseSpot Cafe

G-mail

pawtucket

Paw,

Did you know that Gmail can now be used as any other e-mail service and can be used with Outlook Express? You don't even have to configure it yourself... they have a Gmail tool that sets it all up on Outlook or Outlook Express.

A gig of storage plus, it handles large files. I think they say 10 meg is the limit but I tested it this weekend so I KNOW it supports at least 13 meg. A good deal and the price is right! icon_wink.gif;)-->

sudo

you are allowed to store up to 1 Gigabyte on it. You could use it as storage for a document that you want to work on from another location. Email the doc to your Gmail account and retrieve it from your remote location.

It is FAST. I have been on the phone with someone on the west coast and was sending them something from my gmail to theirs and they had it in about 3 seconds.

It organizes your emails. If you and I had an exchange on the subject of Hollywood let's say, it would group what you sent me intermingled with what I sent you so that you could see the progression of the exchange.

It is free on top of all that.

Paw,

They must be making a real effort to get these things out. This past weekend I had 4 invites left. I just checked and now have 50 to give out!! It really is a great deal. I've never understood what was in it for the internet giants (Yahoo!, Hotmail etc.) for offering these mail accounts. Especially since offering POP3 and SMTP service.

sudo

Paw,

Oh, I could understand why when you had to go their site to get and send your mail but as I was saying... now you don't have to do that! You can get and send mail all day long and never see any of their ads. THAT'S what doesn't make sense to me. Have you configured your mail reader (I use Outlook Express) for Gmail yet? They even have a utility for folks who aren't used to doing it.

sudo

Is it true that you cannot delelte Gmail?

I heard it is hard to get rid of a mail once you post it.

• 1 month later...

From a newsletter I get:

-----------------------

Today's Tourbus Topics: More Gmail Invites / KCRW

Howdy, y'all, and greetings once again from deep behind the orange curtain in beautiful Irvine, California, where we are frantically trying to figure out what a cubit is.

[A cubit is a unit of ark-building measure approximately 18 inches or half a meter in length. Southern California is undergoing a rainy season of biblical proportions.]

TOURBUS is made possible by the kind support of our sponsors. Please take a moment to visit today's sponsors and thank them for keeping our little bus of Internet happiness on the road.

On with the show...

------------------------

A Few More Gmail Invites

Audience: Everyone

------------------------

So, in my last post I casually mentioned I had fifty Google Gmail invites to give away. Guess how many people wrote in to get one? ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY...in the first FOUR HOURS! Gmail invites are popular little buggers, aren’t they?

For those who weren’t able to get a Gmail invite, I apologize. But, all is not lost. Thanks to a tip from Justin Baugher, I found a few more invites. How many more? Oh, over a quarter of a million! No, really. Just point your web browser to

http://isnoop.net/gmail/

Requesting a Google Gmail invite from isnoop.net is a snap:

1. Key in your email address into the box at the top of the page.

2. Click the "Request invite" button.

3. WALK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER! I mean it. Walk away. Go

grab something to eat, read a book, watch a television show--

just walk away. Isnoop.net takes just short of forever to

process your request and send you an invite. Your patience

will be rewarded.

Eventually isnoop tells you "Your invite has been sent to the email specified." Check your email. Sitting in your inbox should be an brand new email from gmail@isnoop.net with the subject "The Gmail invite you requested."

Oh, happy day!

I do have a favor to ask of you, though: If Gmail ever gives you any invites of your own to share with others, please send them to gmail@isnoop.net. That way the folks at isnoop.net can replenish their pool of invites and share them with others.