GreaseSpot Cafe

Jury Duty (again)

vickles

I know this was a thread a couple of years ago but now we have some different people in gs I thought it would be interesting.

I have to go to jury duty tomorrow for the first time. They pay only 12.50 a day and my place of employment does not pay.. icon_mad.gif

Hoping that I will be there just that day and somehow they don't pick me....but knowing my luck I will be there for while.

How does one dress for being in a jury? Maybe I should look a little on the shady side...huh? But those that know me personally know that no matter how I dress I could not get away with it..... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I could try to look skanky.... icon_wink.gif;)-->

Just kidding.

What have your experiences been?

I've drawn jury duty twice.

Both times I sat on one case that lasted a day or so, then went and pleaded with somebody that I was the sole breadwinner and it was a burden on my family, yada, yada,...

They let me go early both times.

The experience is great, but starving kinda sucks, so I had to strike a balance...

Oh jury duty! My favorite place to be. NOT. The last time I went I was there from 9:00am to 2:00. But I got out of it because I knew one of the lawyers.

Here in Tx you only get $6 a day. And there is no where to park so you get also get a parking ticket, that you have to bring back for the baliff to fix.

And what ever you do don't forget to bring a book or some colors or something to do. icon_cool.gif

The fun your going to have.

Lets see the first time was a child custody case. The Dad had custody and the mom wanted it. She tried to prove that the Dad molested the kids. After the first day of that I was sick. Dad's turn and they showed the truth. No molestation. It cost me three days work.

Second time was a drunk driver. Stupid judge and lawyers. It ran till 8pm and was over in one day. Guilty.

Take a book. Don't drink to muck coffee. Good luck.

Definitely take a book. If you're a social person, take a deck of cards to start a game with someone.

I always DID want to serve but never got picked.

1 time was a white person vs. black person crime and since I had a thick southern accent in a very non-southern town, I was immediately dismissed.

1 time I was released because I worked for the newspaper. Even though I wasn't a reporter, they didn't want me on the jury.

1 time I was released because the case involved a profession I was intimately familiar with being related to someone in that profession.

If you listen to the questions they ask, you can figure out what they're looking for and try to prove yourself NOT what they want. The lawyers get so man "strikes" from the jury pool and if you're convincingly extreme toward one side of the case you could be dismissed quickly. BUT, you could also be kept on the jury because that side thinks you'd be good to have on the jury.

The jury selection process is totally based on stereotyping. It's really all they have to go on. *shrug* Maybe look inattentive, avoid eye contact with anyone when they start questioning, slump down in your chair, squirm a lot, all the body language things that are annoying. Good luck!

I've served on three juries.

First case was armed robbery.

The verdict: hung jury

Second case was misdemeanor assault.

The verdict: not guilty

Third case was federal bank fraud.

The verdict: guilty

Here in NY they have a system where you call the phone number the nite before and see if you're supposed to appear the next day. Lots of times, you don't have to go in at all, but be on call. If you're lucky, you'll only have to be there for a couple of full days at most, then if you're not called for a trial, you get excused. But if you're called for a trial, you could be there for 2 weeks or more. Do what Belle said if you don't want to sit on a jury, that sounds pretty effective. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

The first time I ever got called, I had to go into jury selection on a serial murder trial, a guy who was accused off strangling nine women. Really creepy to have that guy sitting there looking at you while the judge and the lawyers asked you questions.

The trial was expected to last three months and the judge asked me if that would be a hardship. Since I wasn't going to get paid for that time, except for the $12.00 a day, I said, "Yes, sir." The judge made me go with a bailiff to an office to call my employer to verify that I wouldn't get paid while I was on jury duty. They're trying to make it a lot harder here to be excused.

I just got back from court. I was picked as a juror but only lasted for the day...that I can handle.

It was all very interesting even though it was kind of stupid of the guy to fight his ticket. He went past a school bus with the red lights going and the stop arm out. He says he was afraid the person behind him was going to run into him even though the car was about three footballs behind him.

It was a no brainer... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

But, it was interesting to see how it works behind the scenes. I now have respect for jurors. I still am on call for another three weeks. Most of the people that were called was there second time being called in for the two months. So I may be called again.

Originally posted by vickles:

How does one dress for being in a jury?

Vickles I can't believe you asked that but since ya did, That cute little clown suit should do the trick.

P.S. Be sure to do that kicking thing too it is sooo cool.

If Not:

Just walk in and say judge

"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant." And walk out."

If that fails my personal favorite

Where is that guilty bastard?

Then again you could always tell the judge you are too busy and have threads to kill. But since you are not the thread killer he most likely won't believe you. anim-smile.gif

Ok You Asked...

Edited by Whitedove

Thread killing is a latent gene that lurks within all of us...it's an indiscriminate killer and can strike when least expected. To admit less would rein in a guilty verdict.

Jury duty might be a lopsided side item on the cafe menu...low carbs less taste.

Good night, Gracie.