GreaseSpot Cafe

Fetus Protection vs. TWI's Exodus Belief

oldiesman

I think part of the problem here is, you are asking a three to four thousand year old book to make a comment on men in white surgical gowns, in a sanitary hospital setting, with modern surgical implements, busy at removing offspring from mother's wombs.

I really, really think that this was well beyond Moses's or anyone elses wildest dreams..

honestly, are you not asking "what would MOSES do, if he ran across this particular situation.."?

Are you not asking why something that Moses couldn't even DREAM of was not PROHIBITED by Moses?

I don't see the logic here..

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you not asking why something that Moses couldn't even DREAM of was not PROHIBITED by Moses?

He certainly dreamt about embryos from Exodus and concluded that the fetus wasn't a human being and shouldn't be given the same value as the mother. Those are the simple facts.

That one doesn't make any sense in actual life experience. It assumes that the fetus can be alive after a miscarriage which is just ridiculous. A fetus that is miscarried usually ends up dead. ( i suppose there may be very occasional exceptions.)

The mischief is talking about the mother, if she gets hurt then "an eye for an eye". Otherwise there is only a fine for a dead fetus. The fetus is not thought of as the same value as the mother. This is confirmed in Jewish theology, otherwise they'd ban abortion because if the fetus were life, like the mother, it would be murder and they'd have to ban it.

Edited by oldiesman

That one doesn't make any sense in actual life experience

it does to me. The few women I know who had an abortion, or even miscarriage.. have mourned the event for years afterwards. If it isn't a death, it's the next closest thing.

The thing I find dispicible, in a way.. is that while the men argue the doctrinal intricacies and details, some in some attempt to justify it, they are not the ones who must endure the lasting consequences.

What I have a real issue with.. is some mog wanabe thinks that he should simply be spared some embarassment with a doctor's scalpel..

I think they are cutting off the wrong thing..

I don't think it has to say it is permitted for it to be permitted. In other words, everything is permitted unless it is prohibited. On the other hand, if it says it is prohibited, it definitely is not permitted. That is the very definition of what the law is. (don't do this, don't do that, etc.)

I guess it depends on your pov Oldies. There are a number of things that are not permitted on the sabbath or certain holidays that are not expressly forbidden in the O.T. They are in the Midrash but based on the OT - they relate to things that fall into the category of work, for instance.

Another way to look at it, doesn't Romans say somewhere that all things are permitted but not all things are not expedient? I guess that could be applied to abortion as well. One could argue based on that verse alone, that abortion is permitted. One could also argue, based on that verse alone, that an abortion may not be expedient.

I am not arguing against abortion overall in this thread. I have made my opinion on abortion clear enough in the political forums and I am a pro choice person. But I would certainly say absolutely no one should ever, ever pressure a woman into such a huge decision.

until the fetus can live outside the womb, on its own, it is not thought of as a living soul or human being. -- (unless or until the fetus is viable, around third trimester). But that piece by Dave Craley was excellent too; teaching that the fetus is "the potential" to life and not life itself.

Oldies

Let me boil this down for you.

The basic premise taught in TWI( in "the good old days") was that a fetus is not alive until it takes its first breath. Period!

No "viability", no "trimester demarcations"----Just a simple statement that life begins with the first breath and ends at the last.

You can dance around and play semantic games all you want but it won't change the fact that this is what TWI taught.

Dr. Wierwille taught essentially the same thing( though it was somewhat veiled) in the PFAL class.

It was also presented this way in the *Christian Sex and More Sex* class.

As I stated earlier, I am not posting to take a pro or anti stance.

I am posting to confirm, once and for all, The Way's stance on abortion was that a fetus is not alive until it takes its first breath. Wierwille himself said as much.

It's hard to believe that someone such as yourself who cherished his every word and phrase, somehow did not hear this. ( Or at least " read between the lines".)

Personally, it matters very little to me how you stand on the subject.

But I do feel quite strongly that you should acknowledge that the "first breath" concept is what was taught.

edited to add: For me, at least, this is not about abortion but about accepting that this is what was taught,

NOTabout trying to rationalize and second guess the message that was clearly proclaimed.

Edited by waysider

I can't help but think about this..

:biglaugh:

What if... hmmm. Just what if..

your "leadership" suggested castration as a necessary "procedure" to keep gawd first, and the work of da ministry..

after all, it's just a *little* piece of flesh, a group of a few cells..

It's not a living, breathing, human being we're talking about, anyway..

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I could actually make a pretty convincing argument that this is da will of gawd..

"look at Daniel, what a GREAT man o gawd he was... probably endured this.. and NOAH.."

I can't help but think about this..

What if... hmmm. Just what if..

your "leadership" suggested castration as a necessary "procedure" to keep gawd first, and the work of da ministry..

after all, it's just a *little* piece of flesh, a group of a few cells..

It's not a living, breathing, human being we're talking about, anyway..

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I could actually make a pretty convincing argument that this is da will of gawd..

"look at Daniel, what a GREAT man o gawd he was... probably endured this.. and NOAH.."

Amazingly, Hamm, this very practice was done in centuries past for a couple of reasons.

1. Maintain high voices of pre-pubescent choir boys.

2. Create a royal security force that could not be swayed by conventional temptations.

OK-- Where were we?

Oldies

Let me boil this down for you.

The basic premise taught in TWI( in "the good old days") was that a fetus is not alive until it takes its first breath. Period!

No "viability", no "trimester demarcations"----Just a simple statement that life begins with the first breath and ends at the last.

I trow not, Waysider. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to go back and read my posts on this thread. Somewhere in there you will find documented proof of some trimester demarcations. :)

What a great thread this is. Seemed to gain even more steam after I thought it had run its course. Thanks folks. :P

snip------ Contrast with TWI's view that when the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, at that time, and not before, man became a living soul. Additionally, Dr. Wierwille expounds from the Old Testament Exodus 21:22-24 showing that the fetus wasn't considered a human being.-------snip

You said it, not me.

I love the Twilight Zone..

"some of us" remember what it was like coming into this existence.. if a person really knew, or remembered.. I don't think they'd be in such a darn hurry to pull the plug on some poor stooge..

:)

The piece by David Craley that you cited may or may not be an interesting read.

I wouldn't know.

I never read it.

Never even heard of it before.

I venture to say that most people on GSC have never read it either though I don't know that for a fact.

Point is, it's meaningless to cite a work that few people are likely to be aware of and then say," This represents the The Way Ministry's stance on the abortion issue."

It doesn't.

It represents David Craley's stance on the abortion issue.( or at least certain aspects of his stance.)

The Way Ministry's stance on the issue of abortion has been, for many years, been based on the teaching of Dr. Wierwille, that life begins with the first breath and ends with the last.

This line of thinking started in PFAL in the made, formed, created session, was fortified in the CF&S class and permeated countless other teachings of VP Wierwille.

Stated in the simplest way I know, TWI( in the large scope of the entirety of the organization) took the position that a fetus is not "alive" until it draws its first breath.

That is not a pro or con assessment ,in and of itself, of whether abortion is an acceptable practice.

(ie: is it morally right or wrong?)

It's a simple statement that the first breath concept was, by far, the most widely taught and accepted concept regarding abortion among the members of The Way International.

But you asserted there were no trimester demarcations, and I offered written proof that there was.

A magazine like that can't be published without careful consideration, assimilation, examination, back and forth discussion of and with prominent TWI believers. If something contradicted twi doctrine, it wouldn't have been published. This isn't Dave Craley going off on his own trip and teaching his own doctrine. If you saw the magazine you'd see what I mean.

If you like, I would be happy to email a pdf to you.