GreaseSpot Cafe

May 20,1985

simonzelotes

VP's death was an emotional time for me, not because it meant all that much to me personally, but because I was surrounded by others who were just completely knocked out and numbed by his passing.

Imbus, I was there at Emporia as well... I remember being called into a meeting, (what was that room above the cafeteria called?) and Pat Lynne being terribly distraught as she read the official notice from HQ. I was sad but felt a little guilty because I wasn't "devestated".

I remember they set aside a few days of mourning on campus where there were no classes or work, and everyone was just supposed to find their own solace.

And we held a memorial service up in the WW Library... I, too, took a petal from one of the roses. I was part of a group that sang (was it amazing grace? I can't quite remember) and it was hard not to get choked up because so many people in the room were crying.

After that, I just figured Craig was in charge and that was that... I was pretty new to TWI and still took everything at face value.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sick at home battling some debilitating affliction that sapped me of my strength. I refused medical attention and gradually came out of it.

So when my TC called, I said "well I am sick right now."

A couple of days later I saw a newspaper article that he died.

Too bad no one would come clean with why and how he died.

I was in residence my final year (13th Corps) working on the Grounds Crew. I remember trying to finish mowing before the black sky opened up with a down pour that day. I had a "feeling" that something big was going to happen.

We were awakened in the middle of the night and I think we were told to go to Anderson Hall(?) in our sweats for an FIT alert. (The person that answered the phone mistook SIT for FIT.) All the way there I kept wondering if it had anything to do with the dark clouds that I'd seen that day.

After P. Lynne made the announcement I remember sitting in the middle of the room looking around and wondering why I wasn't upset.

I do remember during the time off I tried to catch up on my sleep and letter writing. I remember a night owl with P. Lynne, P. Strauhal and D. Standish. Were they there to teach a class or just called in to help? I don't remember. Anyway, I was ready to move on with life and didn't understand what the big deal was.

I have trouble remembering much of the specifics back then, but I was in residence in Rome City at the time.

VPW had spent much of his last year at our campus and John Hendricks, who was our corps coordinator, had told us at the beginning of the year how sick VP was and probably near death. So, his death was no big surprise and, at least for me, didn't cause much grief.

LCM had spent some time at the campus as well as Don W. (our campus trustee) and both seemed so un-spiritual and carnal to most of us, that all I can remember thinking was - - oh boy, this thing is going to go in the tank pretty fast.

But, Corps brained as we were at the time, we still thought that the reason we were in there at that particular time was to change the system from within, which, after hearing POP, most of us concluded probably wasn't going to happen.

We gave it a good shot once we graduated, but the cra* we saw on the field, made us just isolate and figure, it wasn't going to change in our lifetime.

Most of our state's Corps and leadership left enmasse after LCM's loyalty letter and we tried to keep the thing going, but the foundation on which to build, we finally realized just wasn't there.

My only grieving was that what I thought was God's Word and would work, didn't - - and that has caused some disillusionment, sadness, and ultimately another spiritual quest that has lead me interesting places with God.

Interesting topic, Simon.

J.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...

That day I was with a company performing remodeling and it was all "believers" employed. My bud to da bone Mack came up to me that morning and said he needed to talk with me. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Dr. is dead." That stunned me to the marrow. We stared into each others eyes. He put his hands into his pockets and looked to the ground. I said, "I'll be back later." "Okay I understand."

I went to my truck and removed my tool belt and drove off to a quiet place to cry. I cried because I truely loved the man of god. Only met him a few times, but his heart was to me a true saint in the ministry.

Looking back to that time~~~ that was an honest cry of grief for the man who taught me the word. I am not ashamed that I cried for him. But now i know the "truth" the back halls of TWI! My tears were true, but his ministry was not.

TWI is a CULT!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

Song I understand.

We got the call early in the moring as I recall. It was a blanket kind letter very dry, I was to call others with the same cold read out news.

I don't remember my reaction.

It took a couple of years later to be released of the lie of his life.

I Pray in the end my life was not one big lie.