GreaseSpot Cafe

twi marriage vs biblical marriage

smurfette

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER

I HEREBY ACKNOWLEGE THAT MY SITUATION IS THE EXCEPTION TO TWI, AND NOT THE NORM. I ALSO ACKNOWLEGE THAT NOT ALL MARRIAGES ORGINATING IN TWI WERE NOT HAPPY OR SUCCESSFUL. I ACKNOWLEGE THAT MY SITUATION IS A RARE EXCEPTION & NOT THE RULE IN TWI.

(there...that should keep me from flamed too badly! icon_smile.gif:)-->)

I was married in twi by twi clergy (who was later slandered after he left) in a twi ceremony. We've watched twit leader$#!t attack & actually split married folk for ridiculous reasons backed by twisted scripture; we were hit BEFORE we got maried 'cause she was a "advanced class grad" & I wasn't (GASP!).

And yes, the missus acknowleges me as "da head", but we also know that she has strengths in areas & I have mine. We discuss, talk over, and we agree; no "Me-um heap big chief, you do me say."

Nine years & counting.

(To hell with twi)

Weout1200:

"I was married in twi by twi clergy (who was later slandered after he left) in a twi ceremony. We've watched twit leader$#!t attack & actually split married folk for ridiculous reasons backed by twisted scripture; we were hit BEFORE we got maried 'cause she was a "advanced class grad" & I wasn't (GASP!). And yes, the missus acknowleges me as "da head", but we also know that she has strengths in areas & I have mine. We discuss, talk over, and we agree; no "Me-um heap big chief, you do me say."

Bonnie was an advanced Class grad when I met her, I was not. At the time, she was not allowed to attend twig, because she did not want to go Corpse. We hooked up at a truckstop, together we attended twigs, but we avoided the twig whose leader who had banished her. We were married by a Methodist Preacher, but we filled the chapel with TWI followers.

We have also watched as leaders attacked and split married folk many times for bizarre reasoning.

But then again, anytime we exposed ourselves to Way-Corpse Leaders, we usually got yelled at for something. I did not care most of the time, just went back and continued leading the twig. If they cant be bothered to even visit the twigs then who cares about what they want to yell about.

Bonnie acknowledges me as 'head'. I am her "Lord and Master, and I have her permission to say so".

Obviously we discuss issues; she is smart and I want her help, experience and inspiration.

This is '04, so I guess we have been married for 23 years now, she says that I have made 4 'final' decisions. (I dont keep count, she does).

:-)

We went to a ‘pagan’ wedding ceremony this past week. They called it a hand-fasting. And so as not to offend anyone THEY called it a ‘pagan’ ceremony, I did not coin it as such. The bride and some of her friends are friends of ours.

They handed us a 6 page program, which was very nicely done. I read it while waiting for the ceremony to start and I noticed that it included 4 different officiants (one Justice of the Peace, one High Priest, one High Priestess and one Reverend) it also had a total of 29 participants who each had at least one speaking part.

Each officiant led a separate part of the over-all ceremony. During the Justice of the Peace’s part of the ceremony, the wedding party marched through a covered bridge and to an area in front of the seated congregation. They started with asking for what man is giving away the bride. Even with all the equal rights issues of the other ceremonies, I find it amazing that when they re-wrote each ceremony to be able to combine them together and they still had the bride being symbolized as property to be transferred from one owner onto a new owner.

Over all we did like the ceremonies, as we did the general feasting afterwards. It included: calling the spirits of the four corners to bless the union, fastening their hands with ribbons, jumping over a broom, sharing a cup, lighting candles, incense offerings, water offerings and earth offerings. I did not see if the cup-sharing was of the traditional Scottish-Pictish method.

There was belly-dancing to entertain the congregation and a lot of food and music. Some attended ‘sky-clad’, others wore medieval style clothing, I wore a kilt.

My question is in ceremonies that others attend is it still that common for the bride to have her previous ‘owner’ (father, or previous husband) to give her away to her new ‘owner’?

At all the handfastings I've been to, the bride was not given away. In some cases it was written into the ceremony that she gives herself and doesn't need to be given away.

I don't think the bride being given away is part of a handfasting. Not from what I have read about them and not what in what I have seen.

Love the jumping over the broom and the ribbon fastening part. I also like how the bride and groom often times don't wear shoes, depending on the weather.

Tradition also dictates that the agreement to stay together gets renewed after a year and a day. Some people actually write down a contract about their marriage and it isn't about a prenuptial agreement.

Oakspear:

"I have been told by pagans of my acquaintance that they do not "give the bride away" at their handfastings."

That could be. This couple had re-written everything, and had combined 4 seperate ceremonys into one. Thus the need for 4 separate Officants.

I just thought it was interesting.

Thanks

WordWolf:

"Some attended "sky-clad", no kidding?

This sounded fairly PUBLIC. (Lots of attendees.)

Did they think they were Betazoids or something?"

At a Connecticut State Park (Devils Hopyard) though with signs directing everyone to the "Pagan Wedding" down past all the other parking areas, at the last parking area and with a pavilion. You likely would not be following the signs that far in unless this was your destination.

Only a couple of ladies wore shoes, most were barefoot. Most people were in costume. Most men wore boots. It was public, though not really on display. No Betazoids that I know of.

A very nice wedding and lots of people having fun.

No kidding.

reikilady:

"Love the jumping over the broom and the ribbon fastening part. I also like how the bride and groom often times don't wear shoes, depending on the weather."

She was barefoot, though I dont think he was.

It was very nice. Lots of incense.

"Tradition also dictates that the agreement to stay together gets renewed after a year and a day. Some people actually write down a contract about their marriage and it isn't about a prenuptial agreement."

I have not heard about this part, though I will ask. I am to perform a wedding for this bride's sister in September. I understand that it will be in a church.