GreaseSpot Cafe

Whatever happened to Way Homes?

JustThinking

The last ones I knew about in Nebraska were in existance the year after the WOW program ended, I think 1995-96. We had two in Lincoln and maybe one or two in Omaha. After that there were a few instances of two or three wayfers rooming together, but no Way Homes after that.

Part of the reson around here was not enough single people to make a go of it.

The Kansas home was sold in the early 80s. Oak is right as the dynamics changed and people grew up the married people became the larger part and with kids homes large enough to accommodate families were hard to find and to rent. The teens that were left in the way mostly were glad to be away and out on their own. People wanted their own space and stuff the 70s were long gone. And also investing in your own home ,Tax deductions and so on.....

Later 90's it became very difficult to maintain an arrangement to live with other believers. I know a person that did their budget to live with 3 others, 4 living in a nice large condo. The finances were approved by BC’s and the folks moved in together. Few months and one would be M&A’d, That was ok, 3 could pull it off!

Did I mention the years lease?

A couple more months and another was M&A’d, making it impossible for the remaining 2. Easy fix! M&A a parent with young adult living at home, move that young adult in with the 2 while mom is out of town for the weekend!

The three were barely able to tread water to finish out the lease. All 3 had to walk on eggshells, when the lease was up one pushed for them to continue living together. They wouldn’t fall for it and a good thing as the pushy one was gone in a couple of months.

Well Fred just got in touch with a family that was just a "couple" when we were together in our Way Home in 1973. . . -- for us the Way Home was working to live like Jesus Christ would do it -- under the loving care of Del and Nancy Duncan.

The people we lived with then are in our hearts forever. Never stopped caring for people we have lived with, even those we don't know where they are.

In our hearts and lives forever.

Kit

White Dove...you said the one in Kansas...I know in its heyday Topeka had several homes actually owned by twi...as well as several homes where lots of folks lived together...kids and all.

There was 915 Western...which is a THS parking lot now. Then 415 Tyler...which is still there but extremely dilapidated. The one across the street from the VA down on 21st...where Mike and Shiela L lived. There was another one down on the 1000 or 1100 block of Tyler. A couple of the families got in on the deals for the military housing off of 37th Street...there where it makes that little Y off of Topeka Blvd. A couple of homes over in East Topeka.

Gawd...I think I lived in at least 5 way homes in Topeka.

Then, of course, there were the two homes in Wichita...the Women's Way Home and the Men's Way Home...that were usually held for WOW's coming from ROA each year.

A kajillion places in KCK and KCMO where groups of folks would live together.

And, gads, I think I lived in many of those, too.

I was such a twi groupie. Sigh.

Way Homes are certainly an idea whose time has come and gone. Most Way Home inmates were single. Once people got marriaged and had kids, their living priorties usually shifted and they desired more private living arrangements. Nowadays, as stated earlier, there are not many singles left, and most of the young people are cutting the cord to TWI once Mommy and Daddy are no longer in the position to micromanage their lives anymore.

All that's been said and, when I was single and encouraged to move in with several other believers I refused. The main reason none of us wanted to live together was TWI was the only thing we had in common and we didn't trust each other. We all knew deep down that Big Brother was alive and well in TWI and you never knew who was going to turn you in for the smallest infraction.

I was in no way going to allow people to scrutinize my life any more than already was going on. It's just a shame I didn't recognize it for what it was at that time.

Cool Waters

I said one because that was all that the Way owned The one in Wichita on Belmont.

The ones here were really not Way Homes per say.The one at 915 Western was the closest to one when mike.bobby and I leased it in 74 we did run it by the way home guidelines set up in the ECU home for about a year.

After that it was really a branch home as it did not continue in the way home structure. The others you mentioned had mixed results but mostly were people living together. None were owned by the way but rented. I am not aware of any Way owned property in the KC area that I remember but that would be the MO limb.

Now the Way Of Kansas did spend some money on the western house when we moved in Ross Tracy gave us money to wallpaper the downstairs dining room,living room,and parlor and to remodel the office space. They also bought the 100 new folding chairs for the branch. We did all the wallpapering and painting. That was a nice home and served the area well for years the medical center wanted that house for parking the owners had lived there all their life and would not sell it to be destroyed. They were so happy to see we cared for it so well as they were concerned at first. We had to do some fast talking to get them to lease it to us and pay some heavy deposits. We had them over for dinner after the remodel and they loved what we had done. After they passed away the kids sold it for the cash and reduced it to a parking lot. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Edited by Whitedove

Cool Waters no problem actually your post made me strain the brain and some good memories surfaced. So I owe you. Amazing the things that we hold somewhere in there. It was your pal Mr. K that pulled the plug on that house I forget why but people were set to move in with him then it changed I think it was not good enough or something...

Dude....my memories aren't all bad...ya know...

The stories! Like when Bobby came downstairs and perched on the stair post acting like a hawk...or was that Mike? I dunno...but it was funnier than all get out.

Remember Bill Y? His 12 string Ovation roundback guitar! OMG! And could he sing! I went to my first "modern worship service" and ran into him and his wife about 5 years ago. It was the first time for all of us. I sat right next to him during the service. Glad for it, too, because when dancers came waving long banners down the aisles I was aghast. Turned to Bill and asked him if we should walk out or what. Bill having been raised orthodox Jew let me know that this kind of worship was quite common in OT. It was very comforting.

And oh lord the food served at that house!!!!! I remember Becky teaching me how to make food stretch for that many people.

And the guys in the basement...what a riot!

Remember the branch meeting when the 3 Bobbies did their own spin on the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann"? There was Bobby G, Bobby B and Bobby S up there in front singing, "Bob, Bob, Bob...Bob Bobby G. Bob, Bob, Bob...Bob Bobby B. Bob, Bob, Bob...Bob Bobby S." LMAO!!!!

That was a lovely home. It figures that Mr K was the one who dropped it.

And btw..."your pal Mr K"...funny...NOT! LOL

Yeah...it wasn't all a bad trip for me.

Thanks for taking the stroll with me. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Cool-

Yes Yeah...it wasn't all a bad trip for me.

_ I know that

That was Michael the hawk

The basment - enough said I don't know we used it for storage

And btw..."your pal Mr K"...funny...NOT! LOL He He He...

Poor Becky..... icon_frown.gif:(-->

I miss Bobby S. and his humor

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDove:

I miss Bobby S. and his humor

Oh shoot. I read this and began sobbing great big huge sobs. He was my first true love. We were married twice. Not a day goes by that I don't have a little conversation with him...

If I had known then what I know now, things would have been a whole lot different...and Bob may have survived. It's a hard way to learn the lesson that the bible knows what it's talking about when it says to work through a marriage...

Yeah...I think about Becky all the time, too. As well as all the rest of the folks.

Just a bunch of kids doing the best we could...with a very flawed and broken cistern...