GreaseSpot Cafe

How much did you make in 1975-76? TWI BOT salaries are listed

pjroberge

According to Exhibit 23, The Way's ten highest paid employees received between $ 9,390 and $ 14,100 in 1975 and between $ 10,925 and $ 15,350 in 1976.

It paid Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille, its founder and president, $ 5,200 as a trustee. The Way did not pay the remaining two trustees for their services as trustees.

1975:

Minimum wage for non-farm workers was $2.10/hour, $16.80/day, $84/week, $4200/50-week-year

Minimum wage for farm workers was $1.30/hour, $10.40/day, $52/week, $2600/50-week-year

1976:

Minimum wage for non-farm workers was $2.30/hour, $18.40/day, $92/week, $4600/50-week-year

Minimum wage for farm workers was $1.60/hour, $12.80/day, $64/week, $3200/50-week-year

In 1975 I worked in a pizza parlor for 2.10/hour from 3pm until midnight [we had to be in the restaurant early, we had to 'clocked in' after we had changed into their uniform, we 'clocked-out' for breaks]. Then I shifted to a job flipping burgers at an A&W Rootbeer and Burger stand [the car hops wore mini-skirts and roller-skates].

I'm sure those salaries don't reflect the extra benefits they got for being trustees (i.e., housekeepers, chefs, love offerings, etc.).

When I worked on Staff from 1996 to 2001, I received around $680 per month. My housing (a room shared with another woman for 2 years, then my own VERY SMALL dorm room for 3 years), food, and utilities were paid for me. My W2 at the end of the year reflected a much higher amount because of the food, housing, etc. which were provided. I think the medical reimbursement was included in my yearly W2 also. Even with those things included, I made less than $20,000 per year.

Wayfer Not!:

". . . My W2 at the end of the year reflected a much higher amount because of the food, housing, etc. which were provided."

Very good point, it is common among large corporations to provide 'allowances' which are not taxable, things like: housing, vehicles, food, etc.

W-2s can reflect one amount which is 'take-home' pay, another amount which is the taxable amount of that pay, and a third amount which includes other things which you did not get in pay but that were provided 'for you'.

A better question is do these amounts indicate how much the BOT actually received in cash, or how much their total compensation was?

The amount quoted were from TWI's disclosures to the court in their battle with the IRS to get their tax exempt status back.

Some more quotes from the case:

quote:
The basic membership unit, the twig, meets at a twig member's home.

First, The Way argues that it is a church and that its purchases are entitled to exception. Second, it maintains that the "trade or business" restriction of R.C. 5739.02(B)(12) does not apply to it because the clause applies only to charitable organizations and not to churches. Alternatively, it contends that it does not operate a trade or business.

Well, I worked in the payroll dept. at HQ in the early '80s. Yes, VP would show his meager little paycheck and show us how little he was living on, but...

We would get notes from the trustees and their wives saying, I'm going shopping tomorrow, please give me a check for $500... (really, that was the amount).

There was always a check for this, a check for that. Their hands were always in the cash till.

quote:
A better question is do these amounts indicate how much the BOT actually received in cash, or how much their total compensation was?

Definitely not. I think those attending the annual trustee meetings had special monetary allowances. Those meetings were really vacations with agenda talk. We saw videos of the annual meetings (one was a trip to the Bahamas). Trustees were smoking cigars when the Corps were forbidden to smoke at all. Yes, I saw RFR and DM smoking stogies on video. DM even made a penis comment about it. In response to the smoking, LCM said that rules were meant to be broken. I bet he didn't accept that excuse when someone didn't want to go full-time when he demanded it......sheesh.

I know of one person who was not even a trustee who got special privileges financially. They explained to me that they wrote checks from their Way Credit Union account, and it was covered. This person was not an over spender, but they didn't have to be concerned about their "living on a need basis" budget or work the mega hours the regular staff did.

Trustees got their cars maintained and cleaned regularly at the transportation department. They got housekeepers and people to prepare their food for them. They always had nice clothes. LCM seemed to have an extensive wardrobe. And they never lacked with an above-average car. I would be willing to bet my life savings that they didn't have to save from their "living on a need basis" salary to get those things.

quote:
There was always a check for this, a check for that. Their hands were always in the cash till.

That's the exact sort of behavior that brought down PTL and sent Jim Bakker, Richard Dortch, and James and David Taggart away for a little vacation at the Gray Rock Hotel, courtesy of the federal government.

quote:
away for a little vacation at the Gray Rock Hotel, courtesy of the federal government

Some rumors are that this is in the works. All the lawsuits have to get someone's attention.

Can you see Rosie sharing a cell with Martha? Who would be who's B*tch....

Didn't LCM own a few pairs of those extremely expensive shoes OJ is now famous for?

He also spent a bundle on the art for his now famous class sets.

I'll wager those hotel stays weren't paid for out of his "need basis" budget either.

And let's not forget about the "love offerings" that were collected when the Grand Poobah's came to town. They were "over and above" your ABS and specifically given to the guest from HQ's (or the region).

We weren't told how much to give, but it was suggested that we give $2 - $3 per person. Our area was quite large back then - probably between 400 and 500 people. And it was all in cash. I recall our Area Coor. going to the bank to trade in the $1 bills for $100's.

Belle - I don't know about the Bruno Magli shoes, but I know he had at least one Armani suit.

This tread has raised tremendous amount of anger within me. I remember being in a Way home, in the worst part of town, running classes. I could not afford food so I ate day old food from 7-11. That is where I worked at the time. And when there was no stale pop-corn to feast on,I ate MRE's(Meals Ready to Eat) that was supplied by my twig. The town was economically repressed. I would starve befor I would consider not ABSing. And you know.... I did. So this has insited me to ask??? "Where and how was our hard earned ABS spent." Maybe there is a tread on this already.

At the height of PTL, Jim Bakker was pulling down $200,000 a year, plus he would award himself and his good buddies "special bonuses" sometimes for a $1,000,000 or more.

When Richard Dortch, Bakker's #2 man, was asked why they did it he said,

"Because there was nobody to tell us we couldn't"

No accountability.