GreaseSpot Cafe

Being on HQ staff (for Just Thinking)

Linda Z

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sure is who it sounds like to me, too ... although when I worked with JM in Housekeeping (my interim year at HQ 83-84) and she was NOT the big dog, we laughed and laughed and laughed ... worked with Mary Kathy P**de who always kept us laughing ... I think MK was the reason for most of the laughing, though ... she had a light heart and didn't let JM get her down ... JM was never particularly nice to me, though, always seemed to treat me as if my salvation were not as good as hers because I had not been involved in the "gross sins of the flesh."

Edited by DogLover

While I'm here, I'd like to mention that my most horrific TWI staff assignment, and I had many in my 20+ years on staff, the absolute WORST for me was as administrative assistant (his words - "My right-hand arm" - whatever that was supposed to mean) to Tom J*nk*ns*n at Indiana Campus. The worst part was sitting right outside his office watching a constant stream of people enter, endure seemingly endless verbal abuse as he chewed them up, and then leave after he spat them out. Several years later I ran into a Fam. Corps woman who had been one of those sheep to the slaughter, and she mentioned to me how painful it was to see me because she was so embarrassed that I was there and probably heard the horrible things he had said to her that day, and that I must think she was a horrible person. How my heart went out to her! We talked, and I believe she and I both began to heal from that encounter.

One day after having been in the admin position for about a month, Tom's wife Arleen came to me and asked me how the job was going. I'm sure she expected some gushing dribble about how spiritually enlightening, etc., but I looked her straight in the eye and told her that I thanked God every day that I didn't have to go home to him. She gasped and mumbled something about how he's not as bad at home. I fully expected to be called on the carpet for that (kind of wanted it), but she must have been afraid to tell him. Too bad. :realmad:

Do any of you remember Lisa H*&^*%$dez? ( Sorry, not good at that yet) :(

She was my Housekeeping Coord at HQ and was kicked out the same time I was. She and her husband were sent to Cali. Has anyone heard from her?

:)

Actually, bek's favorite stupor-visor was Angela Cr*tch*r.

JM had already been banished by the time bek took up the toilet brush for Jesus.

They brought her back to HQ in the 90s. she was there from at least 95 to 97 or 98 until she and her girlfriend went out on the field and left twi together. Martinfail screamed about it at lunch about how they were in the middle of a foundational class and dropped off everything for the class and then locked themselves up in their house so they woulnd't have to face anyone. They were kind of chicken-sheet in the way they left. But I don't blame them for leaving. At least they could live the way they wanted to without hiding it after they left.

Wow. After reading this whole thread some things come to mind.

quote: HA! Was I surprised several years later when I was in the WC and we were taught the "hygenical way to wipe your behind!"....for those of you who don't know.....front to back, people...front to back....LOL!

Well no wonder they finally kicked me out. They just knew by revelation I was doing it back to front. 4 sheets???? In their dreams!

It occurs to me that even physical work can be done best by people who have the spirit of God. That guy in the OT, Bezaleel who made stuff for Moses; he had the spirit of God. So did Nehemiah and probably most or all of those that rebuilt the wall around Jerusalem in 52 days. In Acts there are records of men of God doing physical jobs to bless people. (Acts 6:1-5)

Sounds to me like there was poor supervision over those who did bad quality work on staff. I guess if you're really believing God you don't need to follow up on those you supervise.

Linda. Wasn't the LA Free Press an underground publication like the Berkeley Barb? As an incredulous 16 yr old I went to City Lights bookstore in SF near the intersection of Columbus and Broadway. All I bought from there was Zap comix I think, but that was quite an atmosphere. Slight derail, sorry.

Johniam: Yes, that's correct. The main nationally distributed ones were the Berkeley Barb, the LA Free Press, the Village Voice, and I guess you could add the SF Oracle, although it was a little more psychedelic and a little less newsy, as I recall.

Some of the biggest arces and biggest hearts stuck in the same place.

As far as Way Builders some of the arces where at the top.

Ego of being a rev or a boss ruined most of it. Plus the idea that you

could get 8 hours of work done in 6. Most of the time it seemed to me

it took 16 hours to get 6 done right. With all the free labor paying the

intermere staff 75 dollars a month(disgraceful) they got what they paid for.

Glad I can laugh about the absurdity of my years on staff now...

I was often confronted about not performing my tasks with enough reverence. I refused to believe that cleaning a toilet or making coffee was about anything more than cleaning a toilet or making coffee.

Being on staff in the mid 80s was the bright light I needed to have shone upon the workings of TWI to make it clear that these people were control freaks whose only interest was in seeing who and how much they could exploit and humiliate.

I remember telling Joel Burke around 1982 before I graduated from the Corps that it must be nice to be on staff at HQ, and that I'd like to do it one day. Work in the motor pool or something. And he looked at me like I was nuts and said; "What are you, crazy? That place is a den of snakes! Stay on the field where there is some reality!" And so, since HQ was supposed to be that place in the song where the lyrics go;

"Come with me I'll take you to a place, where not a negative word is spoken"- Joe Fair- Pressed Down

I just looked back at Joel like this: :blink:

Glad I took Joels advice and requested Alaska :dance: :) :wave::dance:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Bek,

She BANNED SMILING? (!)

Oh yeah, further evidence of how well adjusted all the anal-retentive dipsticks were. Where did they go from there? Did they progress to banning bodily functions too?

All of it is so other-worldly now that I've been out as long as I have. I can't even comprehend what it was that we thought we were trying to accomplish. The "move of THE WORD" became the ulitimate goal, but isn't that just a means and not an end in itself? Oh gawd, we got so lost in vague objectives and inscrutable aspects of "growth" that we became depraved animals, denying our very humanity. And all for - NOTHING!

It was all soooo absurd. So absurd...

And goodseed, good for you! I'm sure poor Arlene was at an absolute loss as to what to do after being confronted with the obvious. Too bad more of us didn't point out the Emperor's lack of clothing...

It was my "attitude" that got me in the position of being TJ's admin in the first place. He had a problem with me, and some decisions I was making concerning the upcoming birth of my second child, and rather than confront me, he called my husband into his office and got him to agree to change my plans. When my husband came home and told me what they had agreed upon on my behalf I was livid. I might have been one of only a handful of people back then who marched into TJ's office and told him how it was going to be. As I left his office I said, "If it means I don't tell my husband I'm in labor, so be it! I will have my baby as I planned." (I did, by the way - she was born at home, as were all the rest of them.) Four months after the birth I was assigned to be his admin so he could keep close tabs on me.

His argument was that it didn't matter to the baby where it was born. My response was that it DID matter to me. He was obviously a control freak, as anyone who was ever under his reign of terror can attest. I waited to awaken my husband when I went into labor. She was born 20 minutes after I woke him, so oopsie, there wasn't time to take me anywhere.

The good

The bad

The ugly

Once on staff, one got a closer look at the MOG, day in and day out. After JP & Sara's wedding at HQ, VPW threw a party. He proclaimed "The two drink rule is in effect, except when I (in capital letter, emphasis on 'I') throw a party!!". So, as being ever the obedient one, I obliged his proclamation, trading pitchers of beer for Simon's slab 'o ribs, or whatever they were cooking up. The moral being, VPW had to be the big-shot.

I believe he manifested SDS - Small Penis Syndrome. Always had to be the focal point, always had to do it HIS way. "The request of the commanding general is tantamount to an order" ...

I would they were even cut off which trouble you...

Good observation, TomTuttle,

I'm sure there are many who could verify your allegation of SPS, but as far as being cut off - well, in the case of VPW it is too late. In the case of LCM - no first hand knowledge, but I'd just venture a guess that there is too little. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: