GreaseSpot Cafe

Why does the Way need headquarters

year2027

God first

Beloved friends

Why does the Way and other Churches need headquarters?

They say they are like the first centry Church but I read about no headquarters in the bible in the NT

They went out from house to house and had no need of HQ's because they were too busy to God's work one on one

I think HQ is just a way to take more money from the young belivers by evil

But what do you think

with love and an holy kiss Roy

They referred to the apostles remaining in Jerusalem when the rest were scattered after Stephen's death. But they ignored Peter's travels outside Jerusalem, even though he appears to be the leader.

They also refer to James & the other elders being in Jerusalem when Paul came there for the Passover, apparently in a position of leadership.

Practically, I think that in the 21st century they need some kind of "headquarters" to function as an organization, if only for legal and administrative purposes.

Before The Way got very big "headquarters" was simply where Wierwille lived. That it was on a farm with lots of open land, suitable for building, made it easier to expand than had they been in an apartment in Payne or Van Wert.

I think it is a question of needs and wants. Some groups use a bare minimun of income to fund administration costs, others eat up any and all funding and use little for the work at hand which sometimes leads to indictments and headlines.

A group like derway, providing as they do a minimum of member support should be quite capable of running itself with a staff of at most 20 people for the 5000 or so active members (who are doing most of the work for free anyways).

I suspect most of derways overhead goes towards maintaining an infrastructure that isn't needed anymore.

oak:

I think it is interesting that "cults" tend to borrow from the biblical administrative things in the book of acts, in a desperate need to coorelate there activities. Of course the fisherman disciples were anything but administrators so it becomes a lame attempt to coorelate the two.

Jesus didn't have a headquarters and he never talked about needing or wanting their to be one. Their twisting and private interpretation of the scriptures doesn't cut it for me. They should have stuck with the twigs being self-governing and independent.

JT - from dictionary.com

cor·re·late ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k?t, kr-)

To put or bring into causal, complementary, parallel, or reciprocal relation.

To establish or demonstrate as having a correlation: correlated drug abuse and crime.

To have reciprocal or mutual relations; to be mutually related.

v. intr.

To be related by a correlation.

adj. (-lt, -lt)

Related by a correlation, especially having corresponding characteristics.

Doctrine and worship correlate as theory and practice. --Tylor.

I'm with Herbiejuan... It's all about habit and image.

For a group who prided themselves on not being a slave to tradition, but re-evaluating their needs every year, they are caught up in the idea of needing HQ. It is the very image of what twi stands for in the minds of their followers. It doesn't matter that its too big, too much work to keep up, never gets used anymore... they wouldn't dream of letting it go.

www.dictionary.com is my friend! I won't tell anyone how many times a day I have to use it. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Do the offshoots have hq's? If so, do they have the same staff to member ratio?

Think of how much they could add to their $40 million coffers if they didn't employ so many people. Heck, they might be able to afford to keep their promises to take care of people if they did that..... NAW....It'll never happen...