GreaseSpot Cafe

Emporia Kansas makes front page of USATODAY

Tumbleweed Kid

I never went Kansas. Here is a link to USATODAY that shows a Veteran's Day parade. BTW thanks to all you VETS!!!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-1...ts-kansas_x.htm

...They call it a prairie town? Didn't anyone tell them that Emporia, Kansas is the former home for the illustrius waycorps training? The Spiritual elite? My goodness, such a significant spiritual movement...and they totally overlooked it!...

The thing I remember most about Emporia is the smell of the meatpacking plant...Remembering the foul stench that filled the air helps me to forget the REALLY unpleasant memories of that city. icon_wink.gif;)-->

While visiting Kansas on business about 7 or 8 years ago, I met a young sales rep who mentioned he'd gone to the university in Emporia. I almost fell over when he told me that Playboy magazine had voted the campus the #1 party campus in America one year. He also told me about the rampant drug problems there and the area of town where you could hear the crack viles crunching under your feet as you walked the streets.

I was stunned at this info. I was there in the early 80's and Emporia was as much of a hick town as one could find - at least in my opinion. I couldn't believe a place could change so much so quickly, but I guess this is the unfortunate trend in many places.

He also mentioned The Way. He said the former campus was turned into high priced housing, a retirement home and office space. He said a lot of the people there were actually sorry when The Way left because they took such good care of the property and it was such a pretty campus.

That's all that cheap Way Corp labor for you! They could "afford" to have the same spot raked 4 times a day so nary a leaf would deface the lawn for longer than a few minutes. They used to make those of us on the grounds crew hand pick worms off the trees. And lets not forget sweeping the sidewalks and the Circle Drive - with brooms!

Sure, the place looked great.

Really? I remember in my Advanced Class 1986 that I discovered I was supposed to stay on the campus and never leave.

Screw 'em. I violated parole and left to go to town just for the hell of it. Wafers saw me leave and come back. Nobody squealed. But I assume that if Way Corpse had caught me, I would have been kicked out of the Advanced Class. It wasn't until the 1990s that almost anyone began to turn you in for almost anything.

That's when I left...and did not come back.