GreaseSpot Cafe

Lies

Oakspear

Satori,

"My husband and I got our eyes smacked wide open when we went on staff in 1982 and saw how entrenched the corruption was. We left, went back to Chicago and prayed for a change back then."

There is nothing in those two sentences that say we were kicked out of HQ. I said WE LEFT. WE left. AFTER seeing the corruption. WE LEFT implies WE made the decision.

How you read that we were fired or "booted" in that post, is beyond me. And by the way, that post has a context, relating to the purpose of the thread, which you did not include.

That's your own interpretation. You READ that INTO what I said. There was nothing misleading in my statement.

I don't know how many times I have posted the details of our leaving HQ on the internet exactly-- but I know it was posted more than several times on WD and possibly here. In that post, I included the details relating to the context, the purpose of the thread.

But I DO know, that in NO place did I EVER say that we were "booted out" of HQ by TWI.

And I DO know, in other posts regarding that subject, that I made it perfectly clear that we left on our own accord, especially in posts where I gave the details of MY calling the meeting and taking on a confrontation of 3 and 4 people at once at the placements meeting in the BRC regarding the corruption I found.

I can't expect you to remember every little detail I have posted. I don't.

But I do expect that of what I DID post, you would read what is written, and not put YOUR OWN SPIN on it.

But then again, that's what you do, oh so well.

Apology? I only saw a back-handed justification of your erroneous action. Reminds me of someone shouting "I'm sorry!" who is not remorseful for the agitation caused, just frustrated he lost the argument.

I'm taking my daughter's cue.

You can stay here and defend your ignorance and justify your stupidity on this thread all you want.

I'm not playing your game.

quote:
Originally posted by Catcup:

Satori,

"My husband and I got our eyes smacked wide open when we went on staff in 1982 and saw how entrenched the corruption was. _We left_, went back to Chicago and prayed for a change back then."

There is nothing in those two sentences that say we were kicked out of HQ. I said WE LEFT. WE left. AFTER seeing the corruption. WE LEFT implies WE made the decision.

How you read that we were fired or "booted" in that post, is beyond me. And by the way, that post has a context, relating to the purpose of the thread, which you did not include.

That's your own interpretation. You READ that INTO what I said. There was nothing misleading in my statement.

"WE LEFT" implies you vacated the premises. Had you begun a new paragraph, your "implication" might have been stronger, but you go on, in the same paragraph, to discuss M&A and ostracism. That's how I made the connection. That's beyond you? Okay.

I don't know how many times I have posted the details of our leaving HQ on the internet exactly-- but I know it was posted more than several times on WD and possibly here. In that post, I included the details relating to the context, the purpose of the thread.

But I DO know, that in NO place did I EVER say that we were "booted out" of HQ by TWI.

And I DO know, in other posts regarding that subject, that I made it perfectly clear that we left on our own accord, especially in posts where I gave the details of MY calling the meeting and taking on a confrontation of 3 and 4 people at once at the placements meeting in the BRC regarding the corruption I found.

I can't expect you to remember every little detail I have posted. I don't.

But I do expect that of what I DID post, you would read what is written, and not put YOUR OWN SPIN on it.

But then again, that's what you do, oh so well.

Apology? I only saw a back-handed justification of your erroneous action. Reminds me of someone shouting "I'm sorry!" who is not remorseful for the agitation caused, just frustrated he lost the argument.

It's not a "please forgive me" sort of apology. It's an apo logia sort of apology - an explanation. I haven't lost an "argument" with you. If so, which one? You've given me no reason to change my opinion of you. You pointed out that the particulars weren't accurate and I immediately acknowledged that fact.

I'm taking my daughter's cue.

You can stay here and defend your ignorance and justify your stupidity on this thread all you want.

Defend my ignorance, justify my stupidity. You've been saving all this love up for a long time, haven't you? It has very little to do with the most recent exchange. You finally got to yank that cork and let 'er rip. Feel better?

Housekeeping, clean up on aisle 13!

I'm not playing your game.

Ever notice it's always the people who play the games who come up with that line?

quote:
Originally posted by Catcup:

But who among us actually can avoid putting their own "spin" on what they read. Things read become processed one way or another through the different minds.

Just my banal spin on things.

Terribly banal.

quote:
Originally posted by TheInvisibleDan:

Whoa, that old Fleetwood Mac song is going through my mind...the world's most intuitive

radio/mp3 player is still the brain.

This one?

OH WELL - FLEETWOOD MAC

DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THE SHAPE I'M IN

I CAN'T SING I AIN'T PRETTY

AND MY LEGS ARE THIN

DON'T ASK ME WHAT I THINK OF YOU

I MIGHT NOT GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS

THAT YOU WANT ME TO

GOD COME TO ME 'N SAID

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND STICK BY ME

I'LL BE YOUR GUIDING HAND

AND MY LEGS ARE THIN

solo

AND MY LEGS ARE THIN

AND MY LEGS ARE THIN

DON'T ASK ME WHAT I THINK OF YOU

I MIGHT NOT GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS

THAT YOU WANT ME TO

quote:

But who among us actually can avoid putting their own "spin" on what they read. Things read become processed one way or another through the different minds.

Isn't this why a "scientific accuracy and mathmatical exactitude" is a pile of crap when applied to ancient, middle-eastern scripture, or today's paper, and anyone claiming to offer such precision is probably... lying?

I had an aunt who was a pathilogical liar. She lied about things that wouldn't necessarily hurt anyone. Like - "My piano cost $2000", when it probably only cost $500. Or, "My daughter got straight A's on her report card" when I knew damn well she got a B in math.

Her lies were intentional, frequent, and usually told to make herself look like she or my cousins were above everyone else.

She wouldn't tell lies about anyone else - and they weren't "negative" lies per se (if you get what I mean). But they were lies.

That's what I think of when I think of a liar - sorta like the John Lovitz guy without the comedy.

My point - TWI told a LOT of that type of lie. I guess you could call them "puffed-up" lies.

"We're the only ministry that has the accurate Word of God".

... or snow on the gas pumps

I'm not saying that was the only type of lie they told - the things we've read here prove that!

But lying isn't always about hurting someone else - sometimes it's an ego trip - like my aunt. Most of the time, you couldn't really prove she was lying - but then again, you couldn't trust a thing she said.

Like TWI...

Question: Has anyone ever told their kids not to lie and then later said: "If so-and-so calls, tell them I'm not here" ??

Is that a "white" lie? A fib?

Remember the big X and little x in PFAL? I think there are degrees of "sin" - and what we were taught was an intentional lie in order to teach us that committing adultery was no worse than telling a fib.

I agree, Hope. There ARE degrees of sin. That's why there are different punishments in the OT. That's why there are different punishments in courts today. DUH! How did I fall for THAT one?

I do believe in forgiveness, but that doesn't mean that there aren't consequences and it certainly doesn't mean one sin is the same as any other.

quote:
Originally posted by satori001:

quote:

Whoa, that old Fleetwood Mac song is going through my mind...the world's most intuitive

radio/mp3 player is still the brain.

This one?

OH WELL - FLEETWOOD MAC

The chorus (though it may not be the actual title of the song) -

"Tell me lies

tell me sweet little lies"

Or it's at least the way my mind spins it.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by satori001:

quote:

Isn't this why a "scientific accuracy and mathmatical exactitude" is a pile of crap when applied to ancient, middle-eastern scripture, or today's paper, and anyone claiming to offer such precision is probably... lying?

Or why one can be greatly disappointed

upon seeing a film based on a book

they've read.

I confess. In my profession, as an interior designer, sometimes I tell people that something will work, cause I know it's what they want, and they insist. The customer is always right, ya know.

But I'm thinking, "ohmigosh, dear God, please don't let anybody know I did this room, house, etc."

Am I a liar?

There is one thing I lie about and I don't know really if it is bad or good, I fight myself on it quite a bit but hey I save lots of money this way.

My son who is 14 is rather small and doesn't eat much. When we go to a restraunt we lie about his age so that we save money. I used to not do this because a lie is a lie.

I don't understand why they just don't go by the size. I have a grandson who is twice as big as my son who is under 12. He eats more than all four of us put together but yet he gets the discounts for all you can eat...go figure.

So is this really wrong? I don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by vickles:

So is this really wrong? I don't know.

vickles, I could think of any number of reasons why it's okay to do it, beginning with the knowledge that plenty of restaurants routinely misrepresent what they serve. So misrepresenting WHO they serve is only just desserts, so to speak.

On the other hand, I'd still rather pay full price than get myself into an ethical dilemma over a couple of dollars. If money was tight, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. The restaurant is still making money. If the promotion brings you in, it's doing exactly what they intended it to do.

Yeah I agree, Satori, and I have done it when money was tight. What I have wrestled with is what I was doing in front of my child...but then nothing is black and white either.

I tell my kid not to lie but then I do it for him....mixed signals?