GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI and their "spiritual decisions"

lindyhopper

Ala,

I sure recognize that it takes quite a bit of distance to be able to relate something that miserable and all the personal suffering involved in such a humorous light. ((((ala))))

I'm glad it was healing for you to write it and you are now able to see that year in it's true light.

Love ya dear,

J.

holy friggin fregun frehgun crap

quote:
One night I lovingly offer some tea to this guy. I said in my kindest way speak voice...Wow brother, would you like a cup of tea? He says..."Is it available?"

At that point I really felt leaving college to do this was a very worthwhile endeavour.

i can't talk anymore okay ? i can't laugh and snort and die all at the same time

can't even address the rest of the post

i can't breathe

quote:
Did all the returning WOW's just pretend to have had a great time?
Some of us had a rough time as WOWs, but rationalized it away in some fashion. We were taking a stand for God, we were being toughened up & conditioned, we stood in the face of adversity, etc.

My WOW year was more a comedy of errors than a horror story, although there were horrible moments icon_eek.gif

WOWs were sent out to various small Nebraska towns that year 5000-15,000 in size. We were sent to a town where the only reason that you didn't marry your cousin was because your sister was prettier.

Within a month one of the WOW families was sent home because the interim 10th corps leaders had (according to what we heard) problems in their marriage.

One of the non-WOWs transported many of us in a bus that he owned. The bus broke down in central Iowa. We waited 3 days for it to be repaired.

One WOW sister was pregnant when she arrived, got an abortion in Denver and thought she was pregnant again several months later.

Our coordinator was 20 years old, interim corps, very immature. He was lazy, and most of his jobs were those where he could set his own hours. The hours that he set involved sleeping in after the rest of us went to work. Later in the year he worked putting in a lawn for our landlord, failed miserably and had to apy back the discount on the rent that our landlord paid him. Of course he had no job and no money, so the rest of us had to pay it back. He also thought he was God's gift to women, and was always hitting on somebody, including both our WOW sisters. (unsuccessfully I might add)

We were the targets of an organized campaign to drive "cults" out of our assigned city. Radio programs, flyers, public meetings, rock throwing; you name it.

By the time we got down to the last few months we were all just marking time until our year was up in August. We weren't making any attempt to "do the program".

To top it off, while staying in a hotel on our way to the ROA, someone came into our hotel room while we were sleeping and stole all our cash. icon_frown.gif:(-->

And yet, despite all of that I always said that I learned a lot in my WOW year. I talked about these incidents, but in the context of "learning", and "growing".

btw, I don't think so now icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I LOVE hearing about the WOW stories. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It really blesses me to hear about the blessings and growth y'all experienced. It blesses me beyond what words can express that I never had the blessings that y'all had. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Maybe I should join you on the Family Tables.

This thread has really been a great blessing to my life. You're the best!

You know it seems now days "spiritual decisions" aren't made so much for you, rather you are "counciled" so that you can make a spiritual decision for yourself.

Translation: We remind you of your spiritual goals and tell you what we think you should do. It is up to you whether or not you will obey that "wise council". icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

No pressure.

A continuation of my wow year...sigh....

as the year continued and came to a close...by some freghen miracle my brain dead corpse brother got engaged to a corpse sister in town.

they are in love... icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

so one day...the corpse girl calls me to ask me something or other...we start chatting...and she says...why don't you like your corpse wow brother? (i guess he has said something to her)she said...i think he's wonderful. i think he's great...blah blah blah.

i said nothing. i knew whatever i said would eventually be used against me.

after she stopped talking the only thing that came out of my mouth was: "ya, but you don't have to live with him." (...YET...hee hee hee hee i thought)

they are still in twi, still married. and are the most brain dead couple i have ever known.

at one corps advance, i remember him laughing and telling of a story about his youngest son.

said that his son was a very, very slow eater. so, he decided to put a timer on the table while his son ate. when the timer went off, if the son had not finished his meal, he would get the wooden spoon. (i believe the boy was about 2 or 3 at the time)

so one day, the mother was baking and had set the timer and when it went off, the boy started to cry and got very upset.

he was laughing as he recounted this story.

can anyone say : pavlov?

"said that his son was a very, very slow eater. so, he decided to put a timer on the table while his son ate. when the timer went off, if the son had not finished his meal, he would get the wooden spoon. (i believe the boy was about 2 or 3 at the time)

so one day, the mother was baking and had set the timer and when it went off, the boy started to cry and got very upset.

he was laughing as he recounted this story.

can anyone say : pavlov? "

Can anyone say : Child abuse?

WWS,

Nice to see you back again. icon_smile.gif:)-->

ya... a real sick puppy he was.

our fearless head honcho leader (idiot #2) thought the world of this idiot (idiot #1)!

Idiot #2 recounted an incident that idiot #1 had told him. the story was told to the whole corps present where idiot #1 told his wife, "Shut-up Woman!" and idiot #2 thought that was a wonderful thing. He used this incident to show us how this guy knew how to control his wife.

OH SHEESH....what a sick place that was!

Edited by baboo

Ala, your story reminds me of my *downfall* in a way home in ND. I lived with the bc,

(int fam corpes), and whenvere a family member had to get up early, if she heard the alarm go off....a lot of times, she would *bless* said member with a cup of coffee.....just to help em get up n around....we LOVED it....and soon it became sop (standard operating procedure) for anyone who was up to carry a cup into their bro or sis first thing in the am....if they were struggling.

Well, the following year the new bc`s (also interim fam corpes) had moved into the house....and one morning, I heard the snooze hit several times in their room, it was a married couple, n I didn`t even KNOW who needed to be up, but seeing as I was already up and had a pot of coffee made, I grabbed a cup set it outside the bedroom door n knocked n told em their was a cup waiting outside the door...and left.....didn`t even think about it....like I said it had been sop the year before....

OMG! Did the sh!t hit the fan....The wife decided that I was after her *man*.....the fangs were bared and the claws unsheathed....... I was mortified. It was only a matter of time of course before I was labled posessed and driven out of my own house without even the chance to pack my bible (a cambridge which she promtly gave to away).

Not funny, but certainly a misunderstanding over attempting to *bless* someone with a beverage.

Rascal,

Wow! That is truly a sad story. Was she young? It's too bad someone with a little more tenderness and life experience didn't get involved. This could have turned into a great learning situation for her.

I can only think of one situation where someone said something out of the blue and that God told him to do it. (No room to wiggle if he was blowing smoke) This person had no way of knowing what was going on at that very moment yet he acted as if a telegram had come in. The timing was perfect and it was amazing. The sad part is he was sent to comfort someone who had just received her walking papers from Craig with no warning. So God did work in TWI but it was to protect their own people from THEM!

JT

ala - Love your writing!

WOW stories. What a hoot! Things happened on the WOW field that would curdle the blood of the producers of "Fear Factor". Truth IS stranger than fiction!

Jim asked, "Did all the returning WOWs just pretend to have had a great time?"

No, Jim, our euphoria was genuine. Not because of what happened during the year, but BECAUSE IT WAS OVER!!!!!

Love,

Steve

Nope JT, she wasn`t young, they had a 6 yr old daughter.

I however WAS....and was just crushed to be run out of town with the big *P* label.....

Speaking of *spriritual* decisions lol....in HER (the bc`s wife) opinion someone had to have blown it some WHERE ...dropped the ball spiritually.... because SHE had quite specifically told God that SHE expected to be sent to Ca. on their int year. Someone (in her opinion) had quite definatly screwed up, and missed the boat by not listening to the revelation concerning where she was REEEEALLY supposed to be sent......poor gal

quote:
No, Jim, our euphoria was genuine. Not because of what happened during the year, but BECAUSE IT WAS OVER!!!!!

ROFLMAO!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Rascal, the more I think about situations like that and how horrible my ex and I treated people, I think sometimes that behavior came from how miserable we were. I know I was very unhappy and peeved that we weren't living "the more abundant life" that we were supposedly living or told that we would have. I did not want to see anyone else happy. It wasn't fair. Why should they be happy when I'm miserable?

I noticed jealousy in other people when good things would happen to happen to us. Like they were thinking, "Why do they get to be blessed? I"m getting up an hour early each day to read TWI's b.s.; I'm giving 18% of my income to TWI; I'm witnessing three times a week...."

It's really sad. It's also amazing how much I enjoy helping people, doing nice things out of the blue with no expectations or ulterior motives and how much more goodness comes my way now. I'm so much happier and it's so much nicer and easier to empathize and rejoice with others now.

quote:
Nope JT, she wasn`t young, they had a 6 yr old daughter.

I however WAS....and was just crushed to be run out of town with the big *P* label.....

Speaking of *spriritual* decisions lol....in HER (the bc`s wife) opinion someone had to have blown it some WHERE ...dropped the ball spiritually.... because SHE had quite specifically told God that SHE expected to be sent to Ca. on their int year. Someone (in her opinion) had quite definatly screwed up, and missed the boat by not listening to the revelation concerning where she was REEEEALLY supposed to be sent......poor gal

Disconnect from reality? Unrealistic expectations of God? No sense of personal responsibility in her life? Hmmm...sound like a potential MOG to me. icon_wink.gif;)-->

JT